Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more extended warranty for MS ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called Tesla regarding our purchase (used tesla MS 2018 from Tesla website) and they told me it is not possible to purchase extended warranty anymore before original expires.

Really?

Since when?
That makes no sense because. After it expires you couldn’t ever buy it.

I thought I did read once it was only available to the original owner.

You can’t get extended warranty on 2021+ Refresh at all.

I’d try going to a Service center and ask.

Good!

Never buy an extended warranty they are a scam to part a fool from his money.

Take whatever money you would spend on a warranty and invest it, then when something does fail you have the money to fix it, and between deductibles and arguing over if its actually covered, (a lot isn't covered) you can just get things fixed easily.
The very rare occasion that a high value item breaks, and not only is covered but also breaks before you have paid the value of that item to the warranty is extremely uncommon and not worth it.

Good!

Take whatever money you would spend on a warranty and invest it, then when something does fail you have the money to fix it, and between deductibles and arguing over if its actually covered, (a lot isn't covered) you can just get things fixed easily.
The very rare occasion that a high value item breaks, and not only is covered but also breaks before you have paid the value of that item to the warranty is extremely uncommon and not worth it.
I would disagree, when I bought the ESA it paid itself off after one appointment. With it I got my whole pano sunroof rebuilt, new battery heater, new motor (technically covered under the 8 year powertrain), new MCU screen, new parking brake and much more smaller things. So it was definitely worth it for me.

Good!

That may be true for ICE cars that have been refined for decades. On a cutting edge EV, it actually is the reverse ie. it makes a lot of sense to because EV parts are hyper expensive.

Reactions: Cripps
I would disagree, when I bought the ESA it paid itself off after one appointment. With it I got my whole pano sunroof rebuilt, new battery heater, new motor (technically covered under the 8 year powertrain), new MCU screen, new parking brake and much more smaller things. So it was definitely worth it for me.
It's OK, Airborne Spoon is very set in his ways. Everyone else is a fool. :)

Check out EVCare, that's what I have. Good option if you can't get the Tesla one (or even if you can).
Sorry, I misspoke, its not EVcare, its "Xcare".

Purchase experience, and all related aspects so far have been good but like @KennyBry I haven't had a reason to use it yet. Right now car is in for a few small things, likely will get used for the first time. Good peace of mind to know I'monly responsible for the $100 deductible.

Sucks for you to have *sugar* failing every 5 minutes 🤷‍♂️
That may be true for ICE cars that have been refined for decades. On a cutting edge EV, it actually is the reverse ie. it makes a lot of sense to because EV parts are hyper expensive.
Perhaps...

In the 130k miles and 5 years I've had my car I've spent $1k on repairs for assorted things, and with the exception of my charge port door sensor ($80) everything was a wear item, aka designed to fail over time just like in an ICE car some stuff just breaks/wears out over time. Like i just finished replacing my front motor oil seals last weekend, those are designed to fail over time and be replaced.
The front louvers broke on me a couple years ago but they are plastic and given how much they move broke exactly where I'd expect them to, at the pivot point. They could've made it stronger and longer lasting by using ball bearings but that would add another level of complexity to manufacturing and parts which would make it cost more when it lasts for a long time and breaks once it hits the wear limits. Also i do a lot of snow driving so its likely i caused it to wear out faster by getting some of that road salt/deicer crap up in the pivot points.

Good!

Often true, and I'm generally never one to defend ESAs. A $4,000 ESA in my particular case would have resulted in me spending 3600 extra dollars above and beyond my actual repairs. That said, I think the fact that Tesla is discontinuing them for new cars and generally goes out of their way to not sell them to anyone any more is a good indicator that the house advantage in this particular case was not panning out the way they thought it would.

Reactions: OrbiterTI4 and Bull
I just called Tesla regarding our purchase (used tesla MS 2018 from Tesla website) and they told me it is not possible to purchase extended warranty anymore before original expires.

Really?

Since when?
That information is not correct according to the Tesla site and the extended service agreement information. You can purchase this at any Tesla Service Center. Extended Service Agreement

maybe because im not first owner? But im buying it used from Tesla website
Not the same issue per-say, but take a look at this thread....

Magically disappearing 4 year/ 50k Used S Warranty

Looks like something might be going on with Tesla used card warranties in-general. Maybe a system issue?

I would suggest contacting your local SC and talk to them, and find out if there is a general issue with warranties in the Tesla system right now. It could be that the sales guy doesn't see the option, and knows nothing about any issues across the board accessing extended warranties.

Regardless, definitely compare the warranty cost/terms to Xcare before proceeding. Xcare is basically the same coverage, half the deductible, and offers a lot of options compared to the cookie cutter options from Tesla. If you are interested, send me a message I can give you the info for the sales guy I spoke to. He is really knowledable and answered an insane number of questions I asked and continues to be available to assist me.

Given how much Tesla is growing and their overwhelmed service centers that they can't keep up with, I would not be surprised at all if they are discontinuing extended warranties all-together. The service centers are so overwhelmed as it is, and as someone above mentioned, its likely they are not coming out ahead with those warranties. They also (I believe) are more intersted in getting people in to new cars then in keeping their old ones, as evident by their new branding of "legacy" S/X cars as recent as January 2021, and not providing features that they easily could.

Tesla's new state of mind is very "Apple" (even more so than previous). They want one screen layout (landscape) and shared parts as much as possible across the board. They want to support their newest, up-to-date hardware and configurations and are ready to tell the rest of us to go pound sound.