Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more orange reflective glass on 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont think so.... I havent seen anyone post about receiving that as a replacement in quite a long time, anyway. My car is a 2018 with the "orange when wet" roof and back glass, and while I would be a bit miffed to lose it, what would really set me off is if it no longer matched. What I mean is, either the roof and rear glass should both be reflective, or both be NOT reflective orange. I would not want one piece of one and one piece of the other.

I like symmetry and that would irritate the ##@!$@$# out of me if that was the case. If your rear piece was orange when wet, and they cant get that as a replacement (which I highly suspect), perhaps consider if this would bother you and if so, ask them to replace the roof glass too.

Thats what I would likely do, anyway. No idea if they WILL, but its what I would ask for, for them to match.

Many thanks for your reply! I agree; I really don't want non-matching roof glass.

I'm particularly upset as it was the service centre that broke the glass. Even if they match it with normal glass then the car is both subjectively and objectively worse than when it went in!

Reactions: israndy
It is not objectively worse

Back when the orange/not-orange thing was first observed, people measured with actual equipment and found no difference in heat capabilities between both types of glass- that the change was purely cosmetic due to a different brand of coating used or something.

In fact- I mentioned that in this thread almost 3 years ago

It is not objectively worse

Back when the orange/not-orange thing was first observed, people measured with actual equipment and found no difference in heat capabilities between both types of glass- that the change was purely cosmetic due to a different brand of coating used or something.

In fact- I mentioned that in this thread almost 3 years ago

Thanks for that - interesting.

I do feel that it may be harder to sell in the future if the front / rear sections of roof glass don't match. Not good for sufferers of OCD.

The orange roof is very rare over here - I've not yet found any other owners of one here in the UK. All very frustrating...