Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more orange reflective glass on 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1F450195-4112-4679-A544-BF9EFEC1371A.jpeg
there was a lot of debate whether this was a cost savings move or not but this is the first 3 I’ve seen without even the top glass roof not reflecting orange in the rain.

The ultra low-E glass should at least be an option.
It's uncharacteristic for Tesla to downgrade across the board like this, most of their changes have been improvements/upgrades.
This is a change that will have long-term consequences on the longevity of the upholstery and interior trim, a bitter lesson some of us have learned when we purchased new cars lacking UV-blocking glass back in the '70s and '80's. You don't see many of them around nowdays because they all rotted away. This is nothing near that severe a situation, but it involves the entire roof area - it's more about IR (heat) wavelengths.
Personally I think it's a mistake that Tesla is going to regret big time, the money people (who don't live in a hot, sunny climate and don't park outdoors in a driveway) over-ruled the engineers and designers who chose the original roof glass, they don't respect the value of their judgement, and it will cost the customers and the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I have the orange roof in my December 18 build! First it rained my wife got super freaked out and rushed into my office to say something was wrong with the car because it was glowing orange :D Now we both really enjoy it and really makes it stand out more.

I think it was more or less proven in a different thread (about the back portion of glass) that the orange coated version was the same as the non-orange version in terms of ir rejection. It sucks that they made this change though as the orange looks so cool when it rains. I was bummed about not having it on the back but now I’m glad I at least have it on top!

Since I took delivery I have been trying to subjectively assess the IR rejection with my hands and face. The windshield definitely admits way more IR, based on perceived heat. The roof is pretty good. We have had a couple of hot days with absolutely no problems. UV, I’ll have to ask a bee to ride along.

The ultra low-E glass should at least be an option.
It's uncharacteristic for Tesla to downgrade across the board like this, most of their changes have been improvements/upgrades.

There was no downgrade, just a change in supplier so it looks different.

I think it was more or less proven in a different thread (about the back portion of glass) that the orange coated version was the same as the non-orange version in terms of ir rejection.

Yup. There's no functional change at all based on testing numerous owners did.

4/19 build here, mine doesn’t have the coating and I love it! The roof no longer looks like glass, it now just appears to be black painted. Looks much better IMO on white for sure.

If I had a red car, I might have missed the orange look...

Reactions: israndy
I now have a mixed reflective model 3 - my rear glass was replaced last week (due to a stress fracture) and the new glass doesn't reflect an orange hue, while the (original) front glass does.

Tesla uses 3 outside suppliers in addition to in house.

If your roof has the orange light refraction will depend on which supplier your car windows come from.

They should all have the same amount of UV/IR rejection, so don't sweat it.

Since I took delivery I have been trying to subjectively assess the IR rejection with my hands and face. The windshield definitely admits way more IR, based on perceived heat. The roof is pretty good. We have had a couple of hot days with absolutely no problems. UV, I’ll have to ask a bee to ride along.

That said, I put up the sun shade because I don’t wear a hat and I don’t have a good way to measure UV, and I don’t typically put sunscreen on the part of my hair. I’m a sunscreen nut and treat my arms and face.

Reactions: halfricanguy
Hi there. Apologies for reviving this old thread! I have a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance with the Orange heat reflective roof. I'm in the UK and they are very very rare over here.

The car was with Tesla with a leak and they managed to break the rear section of the roof glass! Can you still get the orange (when wet) glass for replacements?

Hi there. Apologies for reviving this old thread! I have a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance with the Orange heat reflective roof. I'm in the UK and they are very very rare over here.

The car was with Tesla with a leak and they managed to break the rear section of the roof glass! Can you still get the orange (when wet) glass for replacements?

I dont think so.... I havent seen anyone post about receiving that as a replacement in quite a long time, anyway. My car is a 2018 with the "orange when wet" roof and back glass, and while I would be a bit miffed to lose it, what would really set me off is if it no longer matched. What I mean is, either the roof and rear glass should both be reflective, or both be NOT reflective orange. I would not want one piece of one and one piece of the other.

I like symmetry and that would irritate the ##@!$@$# out of me if that was the case. If your rear piece was orange when wet, and they cant get that as a replacement (which I highly suspect), perhaps consider if this would bother you and if so, ask them to replace the roof glass too.

Thats what I would likely do, anyway. No idea if they WILL, but its what I would ask for, for them to match.