Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No negative views in Model 3 forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody shares an article that has any criticism of Tesla or the Model 3, and legions of forum members post up railing against the "hit piece" by Tesla haters.

I agree with most of what's been said in the rest of the thread, in that there are most certainly negative things about the company, the service, and the cars, but I find them minor compared to the positive things. Discussion of those items is warranted and necessary.

The knee-jerk defensive reaction to other articles on this forum is sometimes warranted. I have no problem with any author who writes a piece that addresses Tesla's very real flaws in a factually accurate manner. But to be frank, those articles are rare. Far more prevalent are articles that contain inaccurate, out-of-date, or blatantly made-up information that is presented as factual, then proceed down a path of criticism based on those assertions.

Both those authors as well as the Tesla fanboys do a disservice. The only way the flaws will get addressed is frank, truthful discussion without emotive attachment, as well as calling out the opposite in the articles that aren't accurate.

I do feel this way as well. Also I feel like everything you type in a post has to be perfect. Sometimes incorrect grammar or even a typo is not acceptable and will be made fun of.

When a new member posting about a new problem that other owners don’t have, he would be considered a Tesla hater making up a fake story, until he could show proof that he indeed, own a model 3. Why was it even necessary to show people your picture with the car if you don’t want to?

Reactions: Chewy3
I do feel this way as well. Also I feel like everything you type in a post has to be perfect. Sometimes incorrect grammar or even a typo is not acceptable and will be made fun of.

When a new member posting about a new problem that other owners don’t have, he would be considered a Tesla hater
A lot of people seek out these forums for solutions to problems they encounter, and I fear the hatred for any displeasure with Tesla is steering people away

I followed the PriusChat forum for years and I see no difference in the Tesla forums.

The posts on here that state a legitimate problem or concern, are stated with facts and not whining, complaining or grandstanding; I have no problem with and will usually reply if I think I have something to add.

My problem are those that come on here hammering Tesla for bad design or engineering and it is pretty obvious that they do not understand how the car was designed to work and have never seen the Owner’s Manual. Or they want the car to work the way they “think” it ought to work.

I'm a recent joiner. One observation, from being on several other car manufacturer forums in the past: with Tesla there are a lot of vested interests in seeing the company fail, my news feed is populated daily with FUD articles.

That context is unique. In the age of Cambridge Analytica swaying elections, I think that adds to the lower tolerance for and suspicion of any negative posts.

Personally this forum has been incredibly helpful and tipped me over the edge to decide to buy a Tesla, even with the awareness of some potential service issues.

That is perhaps the most frustrating part of this forum IMHO.

They seem to be a lot of people with an emotional connection to the company intent on defending Tesla like they would their daughter's honor. Somebody shares an article that has any criticism of Tesla or the Model 3, and legions of forum members post up railing against the "hit piece" by Tesla haters. Because, obviously, anything negative about the model three or Tesla MUST come from somebody who wants the company to fail.

I've always enjoyed open-minded dialogue, and while this forum isn't the worst, it's certainly not the best I've been part of. Absolutely fantastic amount of technical information here, though, which is what keeps me coming back.
The psychology of fanboys, explained by a professional | GamesRadar+ helps explain the behavior you've observed.

This is part of I sometimes take hiatus from here for months at a time. Or, I might go on hiatus for awhile, then only lurk and browse logged out, resisting temptation to respond.

What's even worse is when the mob attack people (esp. female journalists) via moderated forums: What It’s Like When Elon Musk’s Twitter Mob Comes After You.
I followed the PriusChat forum for years and I see no difference in the Tesla forums.
As someone who was active on Priuschat from 2006 to 2013, at some points very active, I disagree.

While there might've been some similar behavior, it was nowhere near as extreme as here on TMC. Also, Priuschat tended to be more civil. Just take a look at some of the bashing, name calling and personal attacks here (I've been on the receiving end countless times here) and some of it eventually gets moved to snippiness.

Heck, one of the former moderators got a restrainer order against a former member: Unhappy with moderation and personal attacks?.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomB985
I've noticed something over the last 6 months or so. We are all here because we have an interest in Teslas

I got one don’t think that is true. As an investor that is well aware of the tactics and positions of those with anti-Tesla interests, I’m 100% confident that this forum and others have been targets of FUD.

Plenty have made legitimate complaints here and both sides have debated the merits. However, the first time poster driveby should be met with a great deal of skepticism.

As someone who was active on Priuschat from 2006 to 2013, at some points very active, I disagree.

While there might've been some similar behavior, it was nowhere near as extreme as here on TMC. Also, Priuschat tended to be more civil. Just take a look at some of the bashing, name calling and personal attacks here (I've been on the receiving end countless times here) and some of it eventually gets moved to snippiness.

Heck, one of the former moderators got a restrainer order against a former member: Unhappy with moderation and personal attacks?.

I agree with you somewhat but I remember multiple people being removed from PriusChat for personal attacks.

I really like everything about the m3 itself, but if there is one complaint I have with Tesla(unacceptable imho) is that you have to have people answer the damn phones at the service center...they don't answer, return emails or calls...only to get them to respond is to drive out here and talk to someone in person...now I know it varies place to place but my SC must be way overworked and understaffed to answer the phones...real car companies dont do this...to call and ask about a part or service??....not happening.

I think some of the FUD labels come out in reaction to the linked to articles posted. Many, many have a very negative Tesla slant to them just in verbage and failure to provided an informed balanced position on something. Many times things aren't even based in fact or well researched (wasn't there a time when news articles were researched?). Sort of like we as Tesla owners, and Tesla, get enough of that already than to come here and get it served up by members here so I understand the reaction. There's being helpful pointing possibly something out and then the other. Plus I see Model 3 as being the most successful Tesla model out there penetrate the market and a lot of haters out there for all kinds of reasons, so probably more of a reason you see the comments here as oppose to the Model S forum. What I sometimes see there is a feeling of being left behind in software/hardware because of the Model 3.

Another thing I will mention is that there are definitely people on here that don't even own a Model 3 let alone a Tesla who post negative things about it.

I'm a recent joiner. One observation, from being on several other car manufacturer forums in the past: with Tesla there are a lot of vested interests in seeing the company fail, my news feed is populated daily with FUD articles....

That is very true. Off and on I will check Google Finance for stock quotes and when you look under the "news" stories for TSLA you will see the source for the vast majority of articles as coming from Seeking Alpha, a source of almost 100% negative and short-seller articles IMO. And the stories stay up for days on end. It's like Google can't find any other articles to post. Sure there will be an occasional article from CNBC but many times that's in the same camp. Seldom news stories with positive info on the company.

Reactions: eustachio
Agree. Been on many car forms for decades. I bought my first new car in 2016 and I generally found that, the newer the car, the less educated (about cars in general) the owners are, and the more likely they are to think that they have bought the pinnacle of automotive engineering that can have no faults.

This attitude is even worse w/r/t new Teslas, unfortunately. I don't spend much time on any Tesla forums for precisely that reason. Too strong a mix of fanboys, non-car people, and the usual new-car-blinders-on folks.

That said, I also see plenty of non-Tesla forums that for some reason have a burning hatred for Tesla and the cars and EVs in general, that I've never seen with any other car make. So, I get some of the knee-jerk reactions against that.

Lots of negative posts here, but a good percentage of them are baseless IMO because the person hasn't taken the time to understand how the car is supposed to work or people have unrealistic expectations. The price point of the 3 means many more people can afford it relative to the other Tesla models, and for better or for worse that means more complaints that may not be objectively accurate. I've found in the last ~20 years of being on auto and motorcycle forums the less expensive the car the more people complain, and the more expensive the car (and subsequently usually wealthier the clientele is) the more patient and understanding and objective the owners are. I've seen P car guys vigorously defend certain GT models that are known to burn to the ground, but if that happened in a "common" car the forums would be ablaze in hateful and distrusting commentary about the brand. Plenty of negativity on the 3 forums, but not necessarily accurate negative discussion.

I am new here and I have seen a mixed bag. People have really been helpful with replies to my question. I have noticed that customer service is one of the biggest gripes. Build quality has gotten bette. No auto company is perfect, we expect a few hiccups. I read one poster getting ready to dump stock because the CTO was selling options to a number of shares and was MIA in an article. This is normal for a CTO. My thing is customer service, I think the car is great, My decision was made up a couple of weeks back after driving an S and then a 3. I didn’t think a Tesla would fit my style of driving.

I am 99 percent sure that this is my next vehicle. Customer service is my concern.

It's the Tesla cult mentality. You model 3 owners are still to new/blind to become jaded. It is kinda sad that some people can't critique and love something at the same time.

Facts are they make great cars but everything else Sucks. Elon is a habitual liar, worst build quality in the industry, customers service that is just a joke and longest time for repairs

It is kinda sad that some people can't critique and love something at the same time.
It's called 'raising the bar' and it leads to long term success. History is littered with companies that no longer exist because they rested on their laurels.

So no, it's not 'sad', it's 'input' to Tesla's continuous improvement process. If you want Tesla to be around in 5 years you should embrace this.

It's called 'raising the bar' and it leads to long term success. History is littered with companies that no longer exist because they rested on their laurels.

So no, it's not 'sad', it's 'input' to Tesla's continuous improvement process. If you want Tesla to be around in 5 years you should embrace this.
I think you're arguing the same point. We need to be able to critique Tesla on their shortcomings without backlash so they can continue buffing out the rough spots and improving the vehicles and company.