Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with moderation and personal attacks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was not drama. He was getting harassing texts and emails from people who were probably here on TMC.

Just odd that anyone on TMC would have both his email and mobile phone number, since he was using an anonymous name. Someone is very very good - or perhaps it wasn't someone on TMC.

On the other hand, I do have permanent restraining orders against a former forum member, issued by two states (his and mine) because of threats and physical actions taken. Then again, I use my real name and am fairly visible & easy to track down.

I just have no idea how someone could have found him based on the information he makes publicly available on TMC.

- - - Updated - - -

According to wk057.solar
he has been banned.
Crazy

He was likely temporarily banned for repeatedly insulting other forum members, which is a violation of the TOS. I don't know of any situation ever where someone was banned for disagreeing with a moderator.

His stated reason is ridiculous.

Just odd that anyone on TMC would have both his email and mobile phone number, since he was using an anonymous name. Someone is very very good - or perhaps it wasn't someone on TMC.

On the other hand, I do have permanent restraining orders against a former forum member, issued by two states (his and mine) because of threats and physical actions taken. Then again, I use my real name and am fairly visible & easy to track down.

I just have no idea how someone could have found him based on the information he makes publicly available on TMC.

- - - Updated - - -

He was likely temporarily banned for repeatedly insulting other forum members, which is a violation of the TOS. I don't know of any situation ever where someone was banned for disagreeing with a moderator.

His stated reason is ridiculous.

His solar project is very complicated and he has shown his build in minute detail. I would not be surprised if someone could not figure who he was from the information he has posted. The person harassing him could likely figure who he is from all that vast information.

It's a temp ban, though he did make a big deal about saying he was leaving earlier, so don't really know what to make of that. If he was being harassed he never reported offending messages or provided admins with any info to remedy the issue. If it's serious he should contact the police.

At any rate, being a valuable contributor does not make one immune from basic forum rules and decorum. If you're being rude and disruptive, it's time to take a break.

It's a temp ban, though he did make a big deal about saying he was leaving earlier, so don't really know what to make of that. If he was being harassed he never reported offending messages or provided admins with any info to remedy the issue. If it's serious he should contact the police.

At any rate, being a valuable contributor does not make one immune from basic forum rules and decorum. If you're being rude and disruptive, it's time to take a break.

I'm glad to hear it's only a temporary ban.

As for reporting the harassment to the police, it sounds like he did:

So apparently this thread and my absence hasn't deterred these idiots from harassing me. My personal cell phone is currently going crazy receiving about one SMS per second reading, "You've got no balls!" (among other things) followed by random characters. And they're coming from random spoofed numbers. At this point I've alerted the relevant authorities and have filed a formal complaint. I've also set my phone to ignore SMS from non-contacts, since that's about my only option at the moment (changing my number would really suck).

wk057 is shown as currently viewing this thread.
How does that happen if you are banned or are people just banned from posting?
I don't understand how banning works... here are a few thoughts that come to mind in this whole mess

A) it's unbelievably hard to moderate a forum like this. Time consuming, tiring, hard. You will never make anyone happy. You will always get accused of being too lenient or too harsh, to be leaning this way or that, to be giving out favors and to be punishing people who disagree with you. Frankly, I'm amazed that people volunteer to do this.

B) overall, moderation here is exquisit. Full disclosure, I got into a fight with some moderators (one of them now former moderators) in the past because I felt mistreated. Looking back all I can do is chuckle and be embarrassed. But compared to any other site I've ever been on, whether it's cars, scuba diving, drones, open source development, whatever. Nothing comes close. You may not always agree. I don't always agree. But see A) above and see the results. It's good to check in with the moderators and have a factual conversation when you feel things go wrong (I have done that and received very insightful explanations). But other than that, I think we are on the right track.

C) enthusiasts, fan boys, shorts, boilerroom style stuck pushers and the gamut in between. We have them all. Some of them are tiring. Some of them are REALLY annoying. Some of them I ignore on principle. The challenge is not to take the bait, not to engage, not to fight. I fail as often as I succeed, but as a general rule... taking a deep breath and walking away is a good move. I've taken two breaks from TMC over the past two years when I got too annoyed with all this. And both times came back, noticed that it's the same group of people whose posts I enjoy and that it's the overall spirit of sharing what we learn, speculating and improving the experience as Tesla owner that I enjoy.

D) wk057 - I'm sorry, this is one where I think the moderators may have been harsher than appropriate. He's been an amazing resource, a great contributor, someone I always love reading. Yes, he has given back as strongly as he has received, but I don't remember many cases where he threw the first stone. It usually seemed to me that he came with data and his interpretations, others attacked him and he sometimes attacked back

Does that mean I'm mad at the moderators or doug? Heck no. See A) and B) above.

Thank you moderators. Thank you doug. You're doing an awesome job. Getting it right 80% of the time is great. 90% of the time would be awesome.

Maybe you can consider this and shorten the ban. Maybe you can't.

I don't understand how banning works...

1. Doing things contrary to ToS, usually rudeness or profanity, gets brought to the mods attention either through reporting or they see it.
2. Repeatedly doing it usually leads to warnings and negative rep, but you might go straight to the next level depending on how offensive you're being.
3. Continue to be disruptive/rude/offensive and you'll get banned for a period, could be days, a week, a month. You can read but you can't post or PM.
4. Final step is permanent ban.

What should be noted is that offensive posts might get put in moderation (invisible to the rest of us); also, even if you're on a temp ban you tag line is changed to "Banned".

I have no idea what got wk banned but he contributed interesting stuff in many places so I hope he'll return for more of that; I'll say with certainty though that only moderators have seen everything and dealt with the reports and consequences. Mods can't ever be perfect but they do their best and whatever remains in moderation etc. is between them and the member concerned.

In my opinion, wk057 was rude and extremely condescending. It seems to me that it wasn't his opinion that got him banned but how rudely he expressed it. I also thought the thread about him being "OFF DUTY" was over the top, and just looking for sympathy, and sure enough he continued to post regularly after that. In the thread he got banned he put something like "OFF DUTY AGAIN" then continued to post. He also posted one comment just before he got banned that he asked to be put in the "snippiness" thread since he couldn't post it there himself. I found that so rude to not only be intentionally and wilfully breaking the rules, but also assigning work to the moderators. He ban was well earned in my opinion and I am certain he had more than fair warning.

One of the best things about this place is how it is moderated. It's a private forum so no one has any say except the owner when it comes to the rules. Like any business, it has the right to make the rules and refuse service (subject only to discrimination and similar issues -- none of which apply). So if people don't like how this place is run, it makes no sense why they would keep coming back. There are other Tesla forums. I never go back to places I don't like (okay, the dentist is an exception!).

Taking a few steps back in no way means he was quitting the forums all together. And I'm sure banned or not he will be checking the user interface thread regularly to see if anyone gets an update that includes autopilot
I snipped that quote but if you read his full statement it was clear he only was going to post in his home solar thread and a couple others he started.

also, even if you're on a temp ban you tag line is changed to "Banned".

Why is that, btw? Is it to shame the person? Reminds me of Game of Thrones where Queen Cersai (no idea how its spelled but if you watch you know who I mean) was marched naked through the streets with the Septons crying "shame!! Shame!!".

Just want to throw in with AR and MsElectric. A little too much irrational defense of Tesla here, but we can deal with it if we're not moderated out of the forum.

Is referring to people as "jerks" name calling? Maybe some more bans are in order...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.