Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Notification on PowerWall Grid Failure, App Bug? V 3.10.5, iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately it doesn’t look like it was fixed for me. I’m on 3.10.7 and I tried signing out and back in and even tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, but unfortunately the only notification options I see are for my car.

@BrettS, that is not good. I still have the 3.10.6 and have the notification now.

@swedge, what is that video link for? I may want it too.
I still have that older version .6 and the .7 didn't download just not after I logged out and back in. But, notification is working for now.

So, that earlier excuse, must have an older iPhone, doesn't wash anymore. :)

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like it was fixed for me. I’m on 3.10.7 and I tried signing out and back in and even tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, but unfortunately the only notification options I see are for my car.
Just a suggestion.
Does your wife, presumably, have an smart phone like your without the app? If so, ask her to download. When you sign in a banner comes up, I think, to allow notifications, check yes and see if it get that "notification" in the setup section.
My wife did that and worked but it could be a coincidence only as it seems the update must have been pushed yesterday afternoon.

I pulled the main meter breaker and a few minutes got a notification. Yeah!

So, problem solved.

...!
How were you notified? Was your phone asleep or standby? Open to Tesla app?
Was the batter fully charged? I suppose that condition would only turn off the panels and run the house by battery.

I threw the main breaker for a grid down condition, waited 8-10 min, nothing, no sound on phone, no email, text, nothing.

After turn on, same, nothing. Rechecked all the places, all is set correctly and still have that notification and is checked.

Can confirm that signing out and back in added a Notifications checkbox in the Settings (cog) panel under .6 on iOS with no EV.
Have you done a simulated grid down and get the notification?
I ask as I am not getting the actual notifications after 2 different tests. Checked all possible places on phone to make sure is set up but still nothing.
Will try a 3rd maybe later today or tomorrow.

Well, I finally received the V3.10.7 update.
But, it seems there may still be some bugs someplace, a hidden setting, who knows, as it seems I got a banner on grid down test but no banner on the app at home page nor, no banner when grid came back up, and the big one, no sound.
Without sound how will you know the grid went down so if needed reduce loads or came back up and all over if phone is in pocket.
Just give up?

Well, I finally received the V3.10.7 update.
But, it seems there may still be some bugs someplace, a hidden setting, who knows, as it seems I got a banner on grid down test but no banner on the app at home page nor, no banner when grid came back up, and the big one, no sound.
Without sound how will you know the grid went down so if needed reduce loads or came back up and all over if phone is in pocket.
Just give up?

Assuming you have an iPhone, the notifications are sent by the app, but the iPhone settings are what controls how the notifications are displayed and whether there is a sound or not. On your iPhone, go to the settings app, then notifications, then Tesla, and make sure that “Sounds” are enabled. Of course, the obvious also applies here... even if sounds are enabled you won’t get a sound if your phone is in silent mode.

Also make sure that “Badges” is enabled. The “Badge” is the little red dot that shows up by the app icon on the home screen, however, the badges require support from the app to appear and I don’t know if the Tesla app will get a badge when the power fails. Since it’s still not working on my phone I can’t confirm one way or another about the badges, but perhaps someone else can let us know if they see one.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
How were you notified? Was your phone asleep or standby? Open to Tesla app?
Was the batter fully charged? I suppose that condition would only turn off the panels and run the house by battery.

I threw the main breaker for a grid down condition, waited 8-10 min, nothing, no sound on phone, no email, text, nothing.

After turn on, same, nothing. Rechecked all the places, all is set correctly and still have that notification and is checked.

Charles,

I certainly sympathize! On my first test, the notification came on my Apple Watch, just a banner, no sound I think. But I was not expecting it and accidentally cleared the notification before I knew what it was. As a result, I thought I was not getting notifications at all, silly me.

It turns out the if one has an Apple Watch, and the watch App is set to mirror iPhone notifications, then when the watch is on the wrist and is not locked, notifications go to the watch and not to the iPhone. Uh... makes sense, but it is not simple. My preference would be notification on both the watch and phone, but that is not possible, it seems. So, I turned off Tesla notifications on the watch and tried again.

On my final test, notifications did come on the iPhone as a banner on the wake-up screen, about 6 minutes after I threw the breaker. I did not notice a sound or haptic. Sadly, unlocking with my fingerprint cleared the notification. So, when I open my phone, the same button press which shows the unlock screen also unlocks the phone, so the notification disappeared right away! Sigh.

I would prefer to just get an email or a text. But I did get notifications about 5 minutes after both when the grid went down, and again on grid back up, so it works. Could be better, but it appears to function as designed.

In your case, try the usual steps: • Delete and re-install the app. • Power down and restart you phone. • Confirm that the iPhone Settings App, in the Notifications menu, has notifications turned on for the Tesla icon. • If you have a watch, turn off Tesla notifications in the watch app.

I think that after installation, on first sign in the Tesla App asks for allowing notifications, which I figure links the Tesla App to the iPhone Notifications system. Clicking No, Don't Allow, just turns the notification off in the iPhone app, where they can be enabled later.

On my final test, notifications did come on the iPhone as a banner on the wake-up screen, about 6 minutes after I threw the breaker. I did not notice a sound or haptic. Sadly, unlocking with my fingerprint cleared the notification. So, when I open my phone, the same button press which shows the unlock screen also unlocks the phone, so the notification disappeared right away! Sigh.

Maybe set the Banner Style to be Persistent?

I'm thinking about this stuff now because we have some electrical maintenance scheduled on our street for Wednesday (replacing one or more utility poles) and we'll be having a multi-hour outage...kind of a mini-rehearsal for PSPS season. o_O

Bruce.

Brett,

Sorry to hear it is still not working for you. I see you've tried all the "normal" fixes. You didn't mention power cycling your phone, unlikely to help anyway.

Late last week I did ask support to tell me what they did to fix it, but have not heard back. I'll post if I hear anything. In the mean time, calling and pestering support might be in order. My issue had an inquiry number assigned which might steer them in the right direction:
INQ20200508-846, PowerWall, No Notifications [refid:CI00096AC7].

As for the "Video" link, it just takes me back to the App start page. There is a button there "Get Support" which sends Safari to www.tesla.com/support .

Sorry to hear it is still not working for you. I see you've tried all the "normal" fixes. You didn't mention power cycling your phone, unlikely to help anyway.

It occurred to me today that I might still be in kind of a limbo state since I haven’t officially received my PTO yet. @charlesj suggested that I add someone as an additional user, so I signed in to the Tesla website to do that, but when I click the “Manage” button for my solar/powerwall system it just shows the install page that shows the current status of the order. I don’t have the option to add an additional user like I do for my car.

So at this point I think I’m just going to have to wait it out and see if it magically fixes itself after I get the PTO and it is officially turned on. If not I’ll try to call Tesla at that point and see if they can fix it.

It occurred to me today that I might still be in kind of a limbo state since I haven’t officially received my PTO yet. @charlesj suggested that I add someone as an additional user, so I signed in to the Tesla website to do that, but when I click the “Manage” button for my solar/powerwall system it just shows the install page that shows the current status of the order. I don’t have the option to add an additional user like I do for my car.

So at this point I think I’m just going to have to wait it out and see if it magically fixes itself after I get the PTO and it is officially turned on. If not I’ll try to call Tesla at that point and see if they can fix it.

My PW was installed by a third party, Semper Solaris. The PW showed up on the app as soon as they had "commissioned" it at the end of the installation. So my Tesla App and PowerWall worked from day one, except for the notification problem. City inspection and PG&E Permission to Operate took about a month after installation, and both were required to file for a SGIP incentive payment, still pending.

Scott W

My PW was installed by a third party, Semper Solaris. The PW showed up on the app as soon as they had "commissioned" it at the end of the installation. So my Tesla App and PowerWall worked from day one, except for the notification problem.

Yeah, that was the case for me as well. They made sure that the powerwalls showed up in my app as soon as they commissioned the system and the app has been working all along. Although it took a day or two before the “Advanced time based controls” showed up as an option in the app and I still don’t have stormwatch in the app at all (or the notifications, as we have been discussing). At this point, like I said, I’ll just give it some time and if those things don’t show up in the app after the official PTO has been received then I’ll call support and let them take care of it.

Brett. What I did, I didn't add wife at the tesla account. In essence I used/she used her 5SE phone newer than mine to download the app, and sign in on my account. That worked for her to see " notifications" and already defaulted to on.
Then a bit later my 5S, older phone worked.:)

ps.
It is not the PTO as my box is not yet checked off on that as of today and have that "notification" and "storm watch."