Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Performance Chassis on P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird.

The API is reporting PC30 for our vehicle. The sticker inside the vehicle is PC31. We paid for the performance upgrade option, and have the 20" wheels (and they originally had the 4S tires).

Not sure how that's "obvious"

MM Heavy Duty control arms

Those are adjustable control arms for a Mustang that can let you change the rear height by up to 3 full inches. 0.39" is a trivial change for arms.

That control arm has an adjustable spring perch which would allow a height change. According to Tesla, the rear arm that changes on the Tesla Model 3 Performance with the performance upgrade is the rear upper fore link. And, if you've taken a wheel off the rear of the Model 3, or looked at an image/video of the rear suspension, then it's obvious that a change to the rear upper fore link will not change the height. Toe, or camber, possibly. Height, no.

For example-
NEW Tesla M3 Model 3 Damper Coil Spring 1044472-01-C | eBay

There's spring for a model 3 with PN 1044472-01-C (S)MBD172561838560

so it's hard to say what exactly the different PNs mean in your example.

This example does not indicate which car this is off of, nor if this is a front/rear/right/left spring. I compared a rear right spring from a P3D+ with a rear right spring from a P3D+ from vehicles manufactured within a month of each other. The hope would be that the part numbers aren't that far off. Of course, this being Tesla, it could very well be different.

Jump to 1:32, he cites the springs as being the same part as on his RWD, front and back
He doesn't actually say same PN for the shocks, but he says the suspension is identical other than the stabilizer bars

He's showing the P3D-, so it's likely that the rear springs are the same as the RWD, but it would be a bit weird if the front were the same, since there's more weight up front with the second motor.

Here is my P3D+ door label. PC31

Attachments

• 523EA5FA-2F3E-49F9-A07E-99734858C1B2.jpeg
    523EA5FA-2F3E-49F9-A07E-99734858C1B2.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 185
There's a member on here who definitely had the wrong rear springs installed on his P3D+, and it caused his car to sit roughly 3/8" higher than it should have. This coincides with the 10mm (.39") difference between the P3D+ and P3D-, and should prove that it's not the control arm causing the height difference (besides the obvious reason that 1 control arm wouldn't cause a 10mm height difference).
PN on his car: (P) 1044472-94-A (S)MBD182281716320
PN on my car: (P) 1044472-04-A (S)MBD171720000010

Do we know that the shocks are the same PNs across the four variants of the Model 3?
Would anyone with a P3D+ mind measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel well in front and rear? I looked at mine just now because of this post and thought the front seemed lower than the rear. After measuring I saw about about 2’ 4 3/4” rear and about 2’ 4 1/8” front.

Rear
BE4445A1-9426-4BBE-9524-7EA2E7015284.jpeg

Front
3A007B18-5614-45ED-AB07-D23C17AC4507.jpeg

Would anyone with a P3D+ mind measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel well in front and rear? I looked at mine just now because of this post and thought the front seemed lower than the rear. After measuring I saw about about 2’ 4 3/4” rear and about 2’ 4 1/8” front.

Rear
View attachment 334798

Front
View attachment 334799

I measured this 2 nights ago for another member. Tires at 42PSI
FL
28-1/8"
FR
28-1/8" + maybe 1/16-1/32

RL
28-1/2"
RR
28-1/2" + maybe 1/16-1/32

Can you see your spring PN through the wheel/suspension? Your measurements match his, which seem to be the same as RWD, and his spring PN did not match mine.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
FL
28-1/8"
FR

RL
28-1/2"
RR

Can you see your spring PN through the wheel/suspension? Your measurements match his, which seem to be the same as RWD, and his spring PN did not match mine.
Rear spring PN on my P3D+ is 104461-01-E. The measurements you just listed are for a P3D+ or a RWD? Seem to match mine within margin of error. I could easily be off 1/16”.

Can someone show me their P3D- door label, please? I am thinking they mistakenly gave me an AWD rather than the performance I ordered.

Does you car information screen show the red underline under the "Dual Motor" badge?

I would think that the P3D- would come with the "No Performance Chassis" as the "chassis" upgrade would be part of the Performance Upgrade Package.

Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
Does you car information screen show the red underline under the "Dual Motor" badge?
Yes there is a red line, but that is just software. They could have installed the correct software on a non performance car.
I would think that the P3D- would come with the "No Performance Chassis" as the "chassis" upgrade would be part of the Performance Upgrade Package.
What chassis upgrade comes with P+? Tires, brakes, pedals, and spoiler has nothing to do with the chassis.

Yes there is a red line, but that is just software. They could have installed the correct software on a non performance car.

What chassis upgrade comes with P+? Tires, brakes, pedals, and spoiler has nothing to do with the chassis.

And you're probably right but the BOM (Bill Of Materials) for developing a car will be different even if it's the exact same parts. For example, the same exact door will get a different BOM tracking sticker. To you and I it will have a different sticker but it's the exact same door. Makes sense?

And you're probably right but the BOM (Bill Of Materials) for developing a car will be different even if it's the exact same parts. For example, the same exact door will get a different BOM tracking sticker. To you and I it will have a different sticker but it's the exact same door. Makes sense?
Yes, that makes sense. I am 95% convinced. I would be 100% if someone else with P3D- reported having the same non-performance chassis sticker though. But your reasoning is sound.

Just checked my P3D+. Sticker stated “pc31 performance chassis”

Now that I think about it, I think someone mentioned somewhere that the 20” wheels needed an additional part change. Control arms maybe? If so it could be Tesla’s code to include those on the P3D+, while the P3D- gets the regular parts.
Correct it has different camber arms. YOu can buy the 20" rim package for $4000 and see all these parts that are included.

FL
28-1/8"
FR

RL
28-1/2"
RR

Front 27.75 inches from floor to top of wheel well. 15.75 inches from top of wheel well to center of tire

Rear 28.0 inches from floor to top of wheel well. 16.0 inches from top of wheel well to center of tire

Front appears to be 1/4 inch lower than rear.