Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Power Flow in Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just receied PTO today and turned on my sytem. Had to call Tesla to work with them on the phone to get the gateway activated.

Now I can see the power generated. However, I can't see the cool "Power Flow". Anyone had similar experience and was able to fix it?
IMG_0024.jpg

you will need to call tesla back to see if they need to activate the powerblaster they (hopefully) installed, or confirm if they did indeed install that device as sometimes they dont if it wont fit, etc.
Called Tesla and they said exactly what you said. They claimed there was no space in my power box to install the powerblaster so they just skipped it and didn't even tell me at the end of the job. Very bad service!

Lucky you! Think I will give it a try too!

The power blaster device is the one that shows the "flows", so if they say they didnt install one, then you wont have that, unfortunately. I would try what was posted anyway though... it wouldnt be that strange for tesla to tell you they didnt install it, when they in fact did.

The power blaster device is the one that shows the "flows", so if they say they didnt install one, then you wont have that, unfortunately. I would try what was posted anyway though... it wouldnt be that strange for tesla to tell you they didnt install it, when they in fact did.
Yes I am just frustrated that the crew should at least have told me this when they are done instead of telling me everything was ok. It is a "nice to have" but not must-have feature. I am just disappointed about their service.

I recall this thread - San Diego SDG&E users, are you getting home consumption in your mobile app? - where at least one person suggested Tesla claimed SDG&E did not allow powerblasters.

As seen in that thread, there was some question about whether that was accurate, but just something else to consider - that Tesla might think they weren't allowed to install them.
I saw this in another thread (power blaster /neurio?) too where Tesla cited City of San Diego as the problem that they can't install power blaster. Strange but maybe it's true? You get different answers when calling Tesla and it's hard to find someone who really understand the situation

wth.. how can Tesla just skip not installing the device that lets you see the powerflow? Mine was installed last Monday but inspection failed so they updating plans....but I did see the flow when they showed me after the install so I assume I have the powerblaster installed.

wth.. how can Tesla just skip not installing the device that lets you see the powerflow? Mine was installed last Monday but inspection failed so they updating plans....but I did see the flow when they showed me after the install so I assume I have the powerblaster installed.

I think I remember that you had powerwalls, correct? In the case of an install with powerwalls the TEG sends the power flow data to the app. The powerblaster is only for solar only installs, since they don’t have a TEG.

Tesla's reply: "Thank you for your email. The energy generated is all the app will display. The other features of seeing the power used is a function of the Powerwall. We do not display power used in the app without an active Powerwall currently." Not sure whether this is true or they just want to shut me up.

Tesla's reply: "Thank you for your email. The energy generated is all the app will display. The other features of seeing the power used is a function of the Powerwall. We do not display power used in the app without an active Powerwall currently." Not sure whether this is true or they just want to shut me up.

Its not true (well, thats a strong statement.. lets say they are not giving you the entire picture). There are plenty of people, many on this very board, who have no powerwalls and see power flow in the app. There are others who (like me) did not see power flow in the app until I got powerwalls.

The reason you dont see it is because they didnt install a device called a "powerblaster". the question is, why didnt they tell you they didnt install it, and what was the reason for that? I would push them to come back and install it, but know they may not do that.

I would recommend being "politely insistent", especially if you have not paid for the system in full yet, saying that you expected the power flows in the app, and are aware that you need a device called a power blaster installed, and that does not require powerwalls to work.

I also would be contacting your advisor or the energy support line if you can, vs email where its fairly easy to get ignored.

good luck! Let us know how it comes out.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Its not true (well, thats a strong statement.. lets say they are not giving you the entire picture). There are plenty of people, many on this very board, who have no powerwalls and see power flow in the app. There are others who (like me) did not see power flow in the app until I got powerwalls.

The reason you dont see it is because they didnt install a device called a "powerblaster". the question is, why didnt they tell you they didnt install it, and what was the reason for that? I would push them to come back and install it, but know they may not do that.

I would recommend being "politely insistent", especially if you have not paid for the system in full yet, saying that you expected the power flows in the app, and are aware that you need a device called a power blaster installed, and that does not require powerwalls to work.

I also would be contacting your advisor or the energy support line if you can, vs email where its fairly easy to get ignored.

good luck! Let us know how it comes out.
Thank you for your suggestion. I spoke to different people at Tesla on the phone. One said it was because there was no space in my box. The other one said it's a city of San Diego regulation. The first one could be true. The Tesla energy adviser is not very helpful either and is the person who wrote me the reply above. It's hard to find him by phone and he never pick up recently. And my first Tesla adviser just ghosted me and disppeared before this one took over. It is a really poor service and completely erased my good impression about Tesla as a company.

And I plan to get powerwall through a third party so I'm not sure whether I should keep going after Tesla. Hopefully the other company will fix the power flow issue after they install PWs for me.

Getting a powerwall ( through tesla or anyone else) will completely "fix" this issue for you. I think it was mentioned up thread, but the powerwall gateway ("Tesla Energy Gateway or TEG), does its own energy reporting etc, so you will see everything once you get a powerwall (and its associated gateway).

Reactions: jboy210