Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Summon Feature for Canadian Model 3!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has applied to the FCC for a comms frequency for a fob. It’s not explicitly stated that it’s for a fob for the Model 3, but realistically that’s probably what it is.

Summon is a little nerfed by needing the fob to be within 10 feet of the car, but that doesn’t cripple it. I use it a couple times a week to get in and out of tight parking spots. It’s also fun to show off at car shows. ;) :p

I heard Trump was going to put a tariff on Canadian fob's

Many may not be aware, but the S and X are currently not NAFTA compliant and already do have Federal duty built into the price. This is due to the high Japanese content in these cars (battery cells). Not an issue with the Model 3 as the batteries are made in the US.

They both have it, but it's crap. Because of the need to have the FOB and phone engaged, it glitches badly. Apparently the US version is actually useful. If this is a feature that's going to make/break your buying decision then don't buy it.

Indeed. My X has it, but aside from not being much more than a parlor trick, it does indeed glitch badly. Standing right next to the car at my garage, it will only work about 50% of the time, and of those times, it will often spontaneously lose connection and just lurch to a halt.

Reactions: Gamekaze
Summon in Canadian S and X is not very useful. It requires internet round trip from your phone to consistently work. Fob near car, both phone and car have perfect internet connectivity, and a continuous press on the app button. It fails to start 25% of the time, and takes forever (>15s) to start another 25% of the time. Once it gets going, it has another 50% chance of pausing due to connectivity of one of those things interrupted. The way it is in the US is actually useful as it can be called from the Fob without internet loop. Press to start, press again to end.

Summon in Canadian S and X is not very useful. It requires internet round trip from your phone to consistently work. Fob near car, both phone and car have perfect internet connectivity, and a continuous press on the app button. It fails to start 25% of the time, and takes forever (>15s) to start another 25% of the time. Once it gets going, it has another 50% chance of pausing due to connectivity of one of those things interrupted. The way it is in the US is actually useful as it can be called from the Fob without internet loop. Press to start, press again to end.

Hmmm, all good stuff to know. I wasn't aware of this until this thread popped up again. Disappointing because summon was one of the things that I would use with EAP, but since the S and X are both crippled it's unlikely anything will change if the 3 ever gets it unlocked in Canada.

What if I drove to the states and did a software upgrade at a SC there (half joking)....would it persist once I got home?

The only real solution is to get the immobilization regulations changed. I'm not sure but you can you unlock a Model 3 remotely and allow it to start and be driven? If you can it seems they already allow you to circumvent the immobilizer. Wish we could get a little more information on exactly what the issue is.

Reactions: Canuck
The only real solution is to get the immobilization regulations changed. I'm not sure but you can you unlock a Model 3 remotely and allow it to start and be driven? If you can it seems they already allow you to circumvent the immobilizer. Wish we could get a little more information on exactly what the issue is.

No. we can only start the air conditioning not let the car to be driven from mobile app.

This. Summon is the most disappointing feature on my S. It doesn't work in Canada the way Elon hyped it up to be. (due to regulations here)

I must be missing some key pieces of information.

As I understand it, the Canadian immobilizer regulation requires the use of an “approved theft deterrent immobilizer” to allow the vehicle to be operated.

If the Model 3 is approved to be driven with a Bluetooth paired phone, then that setup would have to be a “approved theft deterrent immobilizer”

So wouldn’t operating summon on a Model 3 via your cell phone (while connected via Bluetooth) meet all the regulations in Canada?