Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Summon Feature for Canadian Model 3!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean Tesla wouldn’t purposely design stuff for Canada differently so it’s most likely because of our laws.
Yes it's because of our laws. So it's not likely to change. Something about requiring the user to be in visual distance of the car, hence needing a key fob and not allowing it from the phone alone. Stupid, but since all Tesla's have been forced to operate like this it means we get a crippled version of summon. Too bad because I was looking forward to using it....

Yes it's because of our laws. So it's not likely to change. Something about requiring the user to be in visual distance of the car, hence needing a key fob and not allowing it from the phone alone. Stupid, but since all Tesla's have been forced to operate like this it means we get a crippled version of summon. Too bad because I was looking forward to using it....
Okay so once we get the key fob can you help me understand what makes it the “crippled” version?

Okay so once we get the key fob can you help me understand what makes it the “crippled” version?
I'm the states you can summon the car from inside your house, don't need to be in visual distance. In Canada you need to be in key fob distance, basically right beside the car.

So, in my case it would be useful to summon the car to back out of the garage while I'm inside the house putting my kid in his car seat. Then I could walk outside and put him right in the car (can't put carseat in while in the garage).

But the way it works I will have to walk outside and stand beside the car while it backs out. I've also seen people say the way the connection works (not direct to the car like in the states) it is flakey and drops out a lot so the car just stops when that happens.

No point in that, it's easier to leave the kid in the house for 1 minute while I back the car out, then go back in to get them....

But that is not how it is advertised or used in the states. What I would like is to back the car out when it is winter and have it pre heating in the driveway. But alas, no Tesla's operate like that in Canada.

Elon was recently tweeting about a new smart summon being released in ~6 weeks.
This is the one that could be sent away to park somewhere in the parking lot, and to come and pick you up when you come out of the shopping mall.

Somebody should ask him if/when this will be available on Canadian Model 3s ;)
(I am not on twitter, so can't do it myself)

Just got 42.3, no NAV on auto pilot and the release notes explicitly say you can purchase the key fob from Tesla....oh joy, paying for a fob to enable summon after paying for EAP if what I was not wanting to happen o_O

Pic of release notes below.

IMG_20181102_001434.jpg

Just got 42.3, no NAV on auto pilot and the release notes explicitly say you can purchase the key fob from Tesla....oh joy, paying for a fob to enable summon after paying for EAP if what I was not wanting to happen o_O

Pic of release notes below.

View attachment 349073
Don’t get your hopes up. There is no guarantee that Canadian summon will actually work well even if you buy the fob. As an model s owner in canada, summon works but requires the fob to be really close by AND that your control it through your phone with an internet round trip to the car. Connectivity is spotty and laggy, doesn’t connect half the time and way too slow the other half. If it does happen to work, then there is a 10% chance of crashing into the side of my garage. The last part makes it useless when you actually want to use it due to tight spacing.

In the US, it works directly with the fob and doesn’t require internet round trip. Which can maybe make it useful, not sure about the not crashing part though.

After the latest update (2018.44.2), I see Summon option available in the setup menu in the car as well as in the phone App.
Does that mean, it is now available in Canada ? Or it is just a glitch?
Have not tried it yet, maybe I will give it a shot...

No we didn't -- since there was a big caveat that you agreed to, when you clicked the AP button. Yes, it said this:

But you also agreed to this -- shortly after the above is stated:

There's no regulatory approval for summons in Canada without a physical fob, at least from what I've read. And we never paid for anything that is not regulatory approved -- we agreed to that in writing.

Canuck,

You still paid for it. What you agreed when you clicked on the disclaimer was that you won’t get it because of some regulatory approval. The fact that you paid the same price even if it was not provided means you still paid for it. Think of it like buying a bicycle and then some local laws prohibits you from riding it on the street. But you still have bought it but too bad it just sits in the garage.

I actually finally got to use Summon in a real world situation! Was trying to get into a super tight parking spot outside Tesla at Sherway. Got the car lined up - got out - and summoned it right in. Did the opposite on the way out. It was really neat and glad I had it.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I actually finally got to use Summon in a real world situation! Was trying to get into a super tight parking spot outside Tesla at Sherway. Got the car lined up - got out - and summoned it right in. Did the opposite on the way out. It was really neat and glad I had it.

I wouldn't do that in a mall, you may get scratch or dent when someone try to open the doors next to your car.

Could just park in the supercharger area and let the car charge up... :)

I wouldn't do that in a mall, you may get scratch or dent when someone try to open the doors next to your car.

Could just park in the supercharger area and let the car charge up... :)
All good advice (and @McFlurri ) and duly noted. Not something I would normally do - I was betting on the other teslas on either side of me not harming mine. Thankfully neither car had moved when I had come out.

Happy holidays!

Reactions: McFlurri