Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Supercharging for 40Kwh :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure - Honda Fit is supposed to have that battery. There was some talk earlier of VW using thos ebatteries - not clear what the current status is.

Yep.

Green Car Congress: Toshiba’s SCiB battery for the Fit EV

The SCiB charges in about half the time of a typical Li-ion battery, Toshiba says. An SCiB 20Ah cell charged with an 80Ah current will reach 80% of capacity in 15 minutes and 95% in an additional 3 minutes. The SCiB generates little heat even during this fast recharging, eliminating the need for power to cool the battery module. Moreover, the full charge-discharge cycle for SCiB is 4,000 times, more than 2.5 times that of other Li-ion batteries. This long life could also contribute to the reuse of the battery.

However, a comment is talking about "average energy density and high cost"...

The "West Coast Green Highway" initiative is installing level 2 chargers up and down the west coast. WA state is also installing them east-west across part of the state.

Hi Mycroft,

I'm not sure whether you were responding to my question about high amperage Level 2 chargers. Perhaps I missed it in your references, but the Level 2 chargers that I saw referenced were only 30 amp and dual on-board chargers wouldn't charge any faster.

Electric Vehicle Charging Station Configurations

Larry

However, a comment is talking about "average energy density and high cost"...

That's true, but you can still get a 40kWh one in the same mass as the 85kWh using 18650s.

However, as I posted above, there's a cell from Tesla's preferred supplier that charges at 1C and seems to fit the number of cells for the 40kWh battery previously quoted. So what's the problem? Nothing technical...

However, as I posted above, there's a cell from Tesla's preferred supplier that charges at 1C and seems to fit the number of cells for the 40kWh battery previously quoted. So what's the problem? Nothing technical...

From the PDF I wouldn't be able to tell the effect of the charging rate on cycle life. Another consideration is that immediately after charging, (highway speed) driving itself will add a larger stress to a smaller pack, so that there could be accumulating effects from the combination of these demands on the battery.

Hi Robert,

If I understand your remark, you are thinking about getting the second charger as a safer alternative to Supercharging when making frequent road trips?

If so, would you be relying predominantly on charging at RV parks? I gather that Tesla has only commited to building a Supercharger network, not a high amperage Level 2 network, and I haven't read about others installing high amperage Level 2 chargers along highways.

Larry

What about the existing network of HPC's which charge at 16.6 Kw's ? Most have been converted to J1772

Yeah, I just saw "level 2" and didn't notice the amperage.

Hi Mycroft,

So to recap my point, if DC fast charging more than 2% of the time is ill-advised even for 85 kWh batteries, and the utility of dual on-board chargers is only realized when connected to high amperage sources, then in the absence of high amperage roadside chargers, when taking repeated long road trips our only option is to reroute to RV parks. I guess its going to be hit or miss whether the detour to a high amperage RV site will actually result in shorter duration trips than stopping roadside 30 amp chargers.

Unless I've missed something I find it difficult to justify the second on-board charger at this time, with any size battery pack, knowing the second charger can be retrofitted later if the EV infrastructure makes it feasible to do so.

Larry

Yes Larry,

Most of the Public HPC's at least in California have been converted to J1772, and most have retained their full 70 amp capability. I posted a thread to add or convert to J1772 an existing HPC to allow charging at the increased amperage. I'm not sure how many were installed on the east coast, but in California there are public one's spaced on the freeways to allow the roadsters to go between San francisco and Los Angeles, Sacramento etc. Some of the other Roadster owners my know how many of these were sold. Some will still have the Tesla connectore designed for the Roadster. If someone wants to convert one it is easy, takes about an hour.

We may find that we can order a Model S connector alone to allow conversion of an HPC to a model S EVSE! If this is the case this will provide an additional use for the existing HPC's. To use their full potential with the model S you will need the 2nd onboard charger. Otherwise you will be linited to 10 Kw. You wont be able to use the full potential of the 2nd, but most of it! I paid $900 for an HPC on Ebay!

Last edited:
From the PDF I wouldn't be able to tell the effect of the charging rate on cycle life. Another consideration is that immediately after charging, (highway speed) driving itself will add a larger stress to a smaller pack, so that there could be accumulating effects from the combination of these demands on the battery.

1C would certainly give an 80% point of under 500 cycles if one for a similar Sanyo cell is any guide, but the point is that you don't do this every day.

In the same way that when you select range mode the VDS pops up a dialogue about reducing battery life, do the same for rapid charging. Maybe limit uses and certainly log it for the warranty.

In general, it appears to me at this point, it might take battery development a bit longer to fully support everything we are asking for. However the goal should remain the same, my vote would be that Tesla remain committed to realizing the combination of 200+ mile range and 90 kW charging (with as few detours as absolutely necessary).

This is from the Nov Elon interview with Elon. From this statement it appears that Tesla has intentions to make adapters for may connector formats, including Chademo!

"Since most public stations will be set up to charge with the J1772 plug, this is a potential problem, but Tesla says it will supply adaptors to accommodate any existing standard. The company also unveiled its home charger (which it calls a “connector,” since the actual 10- or 20-kilowatt charger is on the car). The wall-mounted unit is an ultra-sharp angular design, in various colors to match customers’ cars."

Went to the Bellevue Store to take a look at the Beta car. Chatted with a couple of reps.

They are equally surprised like us that the 160 miler won't have QC capability. One of the reps said she had been telling everyone that all three models will support the supercharger. She had heard that part of the reason for this decison is that they felt they can't give 8 yr warranty if they allow QC. She was till hopeful they will have a CHAdeMO adopter that works with the 160 miler.

The reps were telling everyone about the 160,230 & 300 models. They haven't switched to 40,60 & 85 kwh yet.

Went to the Bellevue Store to take a look at the Beta car. Chatted with a couple of reps. . . . She had heard that part of the reason for this decison is that they felt they can't give 8 yr warranty if they allow QC.

I think the main reason the 40 kWh car has been dialed back in terms of 0-60 and Supercharging is the warranty. They weren't feeling comfortable with an 8 year warranty otherwise and wanted to keep them all at 8 years.

One reason to have the Twin Chargers (20 kW) is the ability to use any of the High Power Connectors at the Tesla Stores which will be in every major American city within a few years.

Hi,

Every little bit helps, but in using Robert's example where he wants to make repeated long road trips he would be forced to detour off the highway to recharge at an RV site or a Tesla store. In many, perhaps most cases I doubt he would be saving any time adding these detours to his direct highway route. In a few years if there are sufficient high amperage chargers/connections along strategic highway routes he will always have the option of retrofitting the car with a second on-board charger. In the short term I seriously doubt there will be any immediate use for the second charger for the vast majority of early adopters.

Larry

Hi,

Every little bit helps, but in using Robert's example where he wants to make repeated long road trips he would be forced to detour off the highway to recharge at an RV site or a Tesla store. In many, perhaps most cases I doubt he would be saving any time adding these detours to his direct highway route. In a few years if there are sufficient high amperage chargers/connections along strategic highway routes he will always have the option of retrofitting the car with a second on-board charger. In the short term I seriously doubt there will be any immediate use for the second charger for the vast majority of early adopters.

Larry

I'm thinking getting the twin chargers may be worth it from a resale value perspective. Not that I plan on selling the car, but you never know. This seems like one of those things that it's better to have and end up not needing, than the other way around (like the 85-battery)...

I'm thinking getting the twin chargers may be worth it from a resale value perspective. Not that I plan on selling the car, but you never know. This seems like one of those things that it's better to have and end up not needing, than the other way around (like the 85-battery)...

True, but there is good reason to believe that the second on-board charger could be retrofitted later when the widespread availability of high amperage sources is assured.

I wrote to the customer service dept. about some of the questions/issues we have been speculating upon and got some definitive answers.

Hi there Evan,

Let me go through each of your questions below and see if I can answer them for you. If at the end you have further questions, please feel free to follow up with me, I would be glad to try and clarify further!

1)Will the base stereo system be XM/Sirius "ready"--some sort of plug in system or activation code. The pricing/options page seems to suggest that satellite radio is ONLY available with the upgraded stereo PLUS the Pano roof!? That's almost $2500 just to get XM built in and seems a bit silly since XM is pretty standard in most vehicles these days.
· Model S was designed without hre characteristic “fin” antenna that many cars opt for in order to receive signals. Our design places these devices within the vehicle which unfortunately limits sattellite reception when coupled with the aluminum roof. As a result, the sattelite option will only be available with the All Glass Panoramic Roof. As an alternative, sattelite radio can be accessed through the internet via a subscription to the connectivity package.
*I followed up to express my disappointment about the necessity of pano roof and to clarify if satellite was only available with the upgraded stereo:
Hi again Evan,
Yes, I do apologize for the lack of Satellite radio capability when not coupled with the Panoramic Roof option. Based on the options listings, it appears that Satellite radio is only available with the Sound Studio Package coupled with the Panoramic roof. The Sound Studio Package is a $950 option that includes many other features such as a 580 watt, 12-speaker Dolby ProLogic 7.1 stereo system.

2)Will it be possible to upgrade to dual chargers at a later date for a reasonable cost, or is that something that needs to be done at the time of build and original ordering?
· We have engineered Model S to allow customers with the 10kW charger option to upgrade to the Twin Charger setup at a later date. The business case and terms of use have not yet been determined and therefore are not an option at this time. We advise customers to choose a Model S charger setup that meets their present as well as future needs.

3)Will the HPC charger be available for the same (or close to same) price later on? I don't know if I'll need it at the time of ordering, but may want to add it on later.
· The quoted $1,200 price for the High Power Wall Connector will likely not change for future purchase, so ordering at a later date will not be a problem.

4)What is the vehicle warranty (not the battery warranty)?
· We are still working on releasing that information, so please stay tuned!

Please feel free to contact us again if you have further questions!

Kind regards,

Stephen Smith | Customer Advocate
3500 Deer Creek Rd. | Palo Alto, Ca 94304
p 650.681.5051 | e [email protected]

Larry