Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO TURN ON RED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car does not read No RIght On Red signs anywhere.

We're all here lamenting the fact that it still doesn't, and that in the absence of such a feature, it doesn't default to the safest option of just stopping and waiting for the user to tell it to proceed. Which is exactly how stop lights under AP work(ed) for a year. Nobody here is saying it reads signs beyond speed limit and stop, which leave an awful lot of important instructions on the table IMO.

but I guess they were too busy working on fart sound enhancements.

Don't forget playing your own custom sounds which is a clear violation of EU and US requirements. :confused: I know there's a rush to deliver gimmicks so that customers will generate buzz for Tesla, but when it comes to the safety of people on public roads, there's really no wiggle room in my opinion. Tesla has been playing with fire.

I've been using FSD 'Beta' for a couple months now and it consistently wants to run a red left turn light when there is a green for continuing traffic. (The screen shows that Beta recognizes the red turn light. I've always hit the break after it crosses the stop line.) If the through traffic light is red, it stops at the red turn light stop-line properly, then procedes when the light (all of them, in this intersection's programming) turns green. If behind a car, it stops behind the stopped car. Once, when stopped at this turn behind a box truck (turn traffic light not visible when close to the truck), the car stopped, then it started to pass the truck (I prevented it. I can see the cross traffic light, so I know when my light is about to turn green.)
New to this forum ... I hope this is how to report improper 'Beta' behavior.

I hope this is how to report improper 'Beta' behavior.
Welcome To the place you can talk Tesla all day long without risking divorce. Writing here is therapeutic and entertainment but is not a feedback mechanism. For the later use the camera icon to save a clip which Tesla might review if you are using the latest version .69

• Funny
Reactions: Mark II
how to report improper 'Beta' behavior.
Send an email to [email protected] describing the issue, detailing the location, description, etc. (include your VIN).
It would help if you used “bug report”. Press voice command button, then provide a brief description. This will provide a bookmark for the engineers to locate and research the exact state of the car when it goofed.
Bug report isn’t only for beta testers, it should be used for any service related issues, for example, high brand lights not working properly, etc. When you create a service request in mobile app, it would help then greatly if you included the date and approximate time of the event you’re reporting.

Reactions: 45thParallel
Humm. I turn right on a red arrow practically daily for years. Never really thought about it. Nor have I been stopped. Im pretty sure I’ve noticed the sheriff doing the same thing.

Wonder what the law really is in this regard?
In California, Vehicle Code 21453(b) allows right turn on red circular signal, but 21453(c) prohibits it on red arrow.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
In California, Vehicle Code 21453(b) allows right turn on red circular signal, but 21453(c) prohibits it on red arrow.

I actually had to check the MN code and it’s not allowed here, either. Oops! I’d always assumed it was.

Since right turns on red are generally allows otherwise in the U.S. I’d wager a large number of people don’t realize they’re not allowed on red arrows.

I actually had to check the MN code and it’s not allowed here, either. Oops! I’d always assumed it was.

Since right turns on red are generally allows otherwise in the U.S. I’d wager a large number of people don’t realize they’re not allowed on red arrows.
There is also variation by state, in that some treat a red right arrow as equivalent to a red circular signal for the purpose of right turn on red, while others make a distinction between red circular signal (right turn on red allowed) and red right arrow (right turn on red prohibited).

So be careful when driving across state lines.

I am assuming MN laws says, come to a dead stop. Then give way to all vehicles and pedestrians and then turn right on red? My understanding is that in MN right turn is always allowed on a red light unless there is a red right turning arrow or a posted sign that says no turn on red signal. Right?

I am assuming MN laws says, come to a dead stop. Then give way to all vehicles and pedestrians and then turn right on red? My understanding is that in MN right turn is always allowed on a red light unless there is a red right turning arrow or a posted sign that says no turn on red signal. Right?
the relevant code appears to be 169.06.5.3.iii, quoted below. The way I read it, you can only turn right if there's a sign permitting it.

Vehicular traffic facing a steady red arrow signal, with the intention of making a movement indicated by the arrow, must stop at a clearly marked stop line but, if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection and must remain standing until a permissive signal indication permitting the movement indicated by the red arrow is displayed, except as follows: when an official sign has been erected permitting a turn on a red arrow signal, the vehicular traffic facing a red arrow signal indication is permitted to enter the intersection to turn right, or to turn left from a one-way street into a one-way street on which traffic moves to the left, after stopping, but must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and other traffic lawfully proceeding as directed by the signal at that intersection.