Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-existent Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't want to kick Tesla while it's down, but man...

I got my second MX 6 months ago (12/18). Left side FWD has phantom obstacle and the 6 part of the second row seat won't recline. I've been trying to get mobile service to come out for ages, finally got told to take it into SC. I'm about 150 miles from closest SC.

I've been sucking it up until I found out the Fresno SC in CA is opening up. Made an appointment, went to drop off car, was told it had to be kept for diagnosis before fix, would take a while, no loaner, so I drove home. I was told to call back before my future appointment to ask if they have loaners available. Well stupid me, I didn't ask for a phone number.

Today (2 days before the appointment) I finally managed to contact a live human being at a different SC (Monterrey) who was the one setting up the Fresno SC after about an hour of digging for a contact number. They've been using employees' private cell phones there for communications. Let me repeat: A multi-billion-dollar company is relying on employees' private cell phones for communication. I got my answer though: no loaners. There won't be a loaner for the foreseeable future at that SC. Uber credits is what's offered. Tesla of old is dead.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
If the anti-Tesla interests were smart, they'd interview existing owners and write about the absolutely non-existent customer service which would do more damage than anything else they've come up with. The way this company is currently being run is wrong, short sighted, and unbelievably arrogant.

I'm pretty sure that's NIO's 'Master Plan' - let Tesla lead, lose and learn from their mistakes...

• Love
I guess, Charlotte SC is just a rockstar team...

I am not disputing the fershit experience of most posters on this thread one bit. However, I can report that my past experience at both Charlotte and Richmond are mind blowing along with the most stellar Ranger service imaginable as well.

Maybe Mr. Twitter really should have quit twitter and spend more effort to fix the weaknesses of Tesla.

I am mystified as well by the poor customer service. Ironically Elon was right that the company would be better private. The BS we as customers are dealing with may not be so severe. But they’re so focused on selling cars this quarter to satisfy the media and Wall Street, that I believe all employees were told- “don’t answer an email or phone call unless it results in a sales or delivery....”
Ps if anyone has the Midwest services regional manager contact please let me know via DM.

• Love
I can add my recent poor experience. I am in LA and SCs are super busy. Dropped off last Monday with a list of problems. No communication about status. Left several messages, emailed SA, tried "online chat" - just kept hanging there, not connecting to anyone. After several days, emailed SA again and cc'd to service manager whose email I had from prior problems. Finally, got an email back after. Most of my issues were not fixed (disappearing back up camera, car not locking when exiting driver door wind noise, etc), but the car is ready for pick up. At pick up, car is filthy- looks like it sat with windows open and inside is all dusty and dirty. Windshield was so dirty I could barely see. To add insult to injury, they spilled something on my wrap (looks like oil droplets) and this doesn't come off. Now I probably have to replace wrap on that door. Terrible. It used to never be like this. I almost feel like they are trying to discourage you from coming. This was Santa Monica service center in LA, by the way.

Tesla is in a transition period. No other auto manufacturer has ever grown at the pace Tesla has done over the last year, after the introduction of the Model 3.

Prior to the Model 3, Tesla had a relatively small number of vehicles on the road, and had excess or adequate capacity for customer support and service.

That's changed in the past year - and with Tesla continuing to increase their manufacturing rate - is putting a lot of pressure on Tesla for deliveries, support and service - and to do that, they are shifting to a business model that will allow them to spend less time for support/service per vehicle.

They eliminated the recommended maintenance because it wasn't necessary and was wasting service time - for Tesla and customers.

They've shifted to using online and app scheduling of service which reduced the need for phone scheduling of service appointments.

Service status is now provided through the online app, which should reduce or eliminate the need to contact a service center to get an update on service status.

They're rapidly deploying mobile service vehicles for the 80% of the service that doesn't require a service center - which allows them to more rapidly expand capacity, at a lower cost than expanding or adding service centers.

Loaners are being replaced by ride sharing (Uber today - likely Tesla Network in several years), which reduces the cost of maintaining loaners at each service center, and removes the constraint of having to secure rental/loaner vehicles.

And they're beginning to provide DIY maintenance information - that could allow owners to do some of the maintenance themselves, eliminating those service calls.

This transition will take some time to be fully implemented - and is likely to hit some rough spots as they get this all working.

We recently scheduled our first annual service for our Model X (we had purchased a 4 year maintenance plan, and Tesla is honoring that plan). Scheduling the service was easy using their new automated interface. Dropping the vehicle off was easy. The use of Uber instead of a loaner worked well, other than a small additional delay in waiting for the Uber pickup. I was able to track status of the service visit using the smartphone app (previously I would call the service center). And pickup of the vehicle at the end of service was quick and smooth.

At least for that service visit - everything worked well.

Tesla is in a transition period. No other auto manufacturer has ever grown at the pace Tesla has done over the last year, after the introduction of the Model 3.

Prior to the Model 3, Tesla had a relatively small number of vehicles on the road, and had excess or adequate capacity for customer support and service.

That's changed in the past year - and with Tesla continuing to increase their manufacturing rate - is putting a lot of pressure on Tesla for deliveries, support and service - and to do that, they are shifting to a business model that will allow them to spend less time for support/service per vehicle.

They eliminated the recommended maintenance because it wasn't necessary and was wasting service time - for Tesla and customers.

They've shifted to using online and app scheduling of service which reduced the need for phone scheduling of service appointments.

Service status is now provided through the online app, which should reduce or eliminate the need to contact a service center to get an update on service status.

They're rapidly deploying mobile service vehicles for the 80% of the service that doesn't require a service center - which allows them to more rapidly expand capacity, at a lower cost than expanding or adding service centers.

Loaners are being replaced by ride sharing (Uber today - likely Tesla Network in several years), which reduces the cost of maintaining loaners at each service center, and removes the constraint of having to secure rental/loaner vehicles.

And they're beginning to provide DIY maintenance information - that could allow owners to do some of the maintenance themselves, eliminating those service calls.

This transition will take some time to be fully implemented - and is likely to hit some rough spots as they get this all working.

We recently scheduled our first annual service for our Model X (we had purchased a 4 year maintenance plan, and Tesla is honoring that plan). Scheduling the service was easy using their new automated interface. Dropping the vehicle off was easy. The use of Uber instead of a loaner worked well, other than a small additional delay in waiting for the Uber pickup. I was able to track status of the service visit using the smartphone app (previously I would call the service center). And pickup of the vehicle at the end of service was quick and smooth.

Great perspective. I’m mildly annoyed the finish on my car isn’t the same as my 2008 BMW but I’ve also never been this excited about a car before.

• Informative
Reactions: A2be
Partially true, but no excuse. Where is the promised service center growth? There no new service centers I am aware of in So Cal to date in a long time. What happened to caring attitude and going an extra mile for their customers? I was trying to track repairs on the app, but all I was getting was "vehicle is in service, please call service center". I am not retired or unemployed, I actually work for living. Giving me $10 for Uber to take me home doesn't eliminate my need to go to work the next day or pick my kids from soccer practice. So, please don't spin this as a good thing.

Q1 2019 tesla delivered 63k cars while BMW sold 73k cars.

The number of SCs is much smaller than the number of BMW dealerships.

What makes tesla owners unhappy is many of us are paying Porsche equivalent price but getting FCA level treatment. This is the growth pain for Tesla.

Partially true, but no excuse. Where is the promised service center growth? There no new service centers I am aware of in So Cal to date in a long time. What happened to caring attitude and going an extra mile for their customers? I was trying to track repairs on the app, but all I was getting was "vehicle is in service, please call service center". I am not retired or unemployed, I actually work for living. Giving me $10 for Uber to take me home doesn't eliminate my need to go to work the next day or pick my kids from soccer practice. So, please don't spin this as a good thing.
I’m in Kansas City. They have 1 SC and are relocating and expanding it to be closer to the Kansas / Missouri border.

Did Tesla every have loaner cars? My SC (Dublin, CA) has some one, but on the 2 times I have gone in they are all in use. Been this way for a while so i don't think it is just a Model 3 issue. FWIW, our BMW dealer is the same way, you never get a loaner there.

There is a myth here that people will delay a purchase because of poor CS. This is wrong, they loose many sales for good and the word is spreading. In addition Tesla is being sued for some of its CS issues which is eroding the brand and increasing costs. The issues with Tesla CS are not limited to other priorities or resources they are also part of horrible management and lack of leadership, a large number of the CS issues with Tesla could be easily and quickly resolved with the same resources. I have a nine month issue with CS that is not resolved, it is beyond unbelievable how incompetent the management is at every level and the attrition rate for good people is an issue as well. If 12 people can't resolve something basic in that time period then someone is gaming the system or it's broken. They use the Paypal model and the Paypal mentality which only works for a while and very poorly at that. I could cite dozens of examples that could make your head spin but in the end the company needs mature leadership and more competent managers and good leadership comes from the top down. There are two words in customer service and without one of them you don't need the other.

I am new to Tesla. Purchased a used Model S through Tesla a month ago. Delivery was initially delayed because they wanted to make it perfect for me to receive, which was fine with me! Since then, customer service has been horrible. My delivery date has been rescheduled FOUR times, including this morning when I was on my way to my 9am appointment and I got a call saying it wouldn't be ready until noon. They say the body shop has been behind and they just need more technicians. I hoping they actually hire them! This already has been a poor experience right from the start.

I must say that I am really shocked with the poor customer service. I experienced difficulties with receiving my Wall Connector and it took several weeks to finally get a resolution. Not having a phone number or a way to contact the online store made for a difficult experience. Yes I do love my Tesla and I am new to the company, but if they do not fix their customer service problems they are going to miss out on a lot of repeat business as well as damage their companies reputation.

I completely agree. I have a Model 3 Performance Plus and I've been driving around with two fairly large stress fractures in my rear glass panel for more than three months now with no ETA whatsoever on when it can be fixed (along with two false starts). And of course it's been nine months with the car and I still don't have the spoiler. I do love the car and decided to get an X as a family car, picked one out and everything. But I decided I can't move forward with the purchase until Tesla gets its service act together. For me it's a function of time. I can't risk having issues in another car that require me to go back and forth to the service center (since getting somebody on the phone is impossible) without any real answers from them.

Feedback for the vehicles is positive but what Tesla doesn't realize is on the margin poor customer service is likely having a real effect on sales. I and many of those around me who see me driving around for weeks with cracks in my rear window hold off on buying. A reputation for poor customer service is a long-term difficult problem to overcome, particularly among the average consumer (as opposed to early adopters). It's too bad because I do love the cars, most of the time.

What's up with the horrible customer service. Tesla does not reply to emails and you cannot reach anyone by phone including the SC
Yes indeed.
Total crap for customer service. Calls go unanswered, or forwarded to numbers that go unanswered, emails go unanswered, and there are never any news or updates for owners.
Finding out about software updates and specials on news sites like this without a peep from Tesla is STOOPID!
LOST SALES OPPERTUNITIES BY THE THOUSANDS.
It's not rocket science!
Customer device should be a -separate-operation, with it's own funding,unaffected by any production or other issues.
Just take care of the customer!!!
A world class product with world class support would make Tesla the #1 car company in the world.
Elon says happy customers sell cars.
I am becoming an unhappy customer.