Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Owner - Just Placed my Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have people actually seen it change from "Next Steps" to "Ready to Configure" with one F5 press? I usually logout and log back in again because I thought someone said you had to do that to have it update status.

I had not read that you had to log out/in to see the change. I'll try that as well. Although I just configured the Page Monitor Chrome Extension. Let's see if that works.

I got my invite yesterday. Non-owner, ordered online about an hour before the reveal and live in upstate NY. I thought I was going to be excited to get the invite, but am now second-guessing it. I have two reservations... My plan was to buy the RWD now, then sell in 6-12 months to upgrade to an AWD or P model. I currently drive a Porsche Macan S and love it. I feel like the M3 might feel like a step down from the Porsche. First world problems, I know.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will
I got my invite yesterday. Non-owner, ordered online about an hour before the reveal and live in upstate NY. I thought I was going to be excited to get the invite, but am now second-guessing it. I have two reservations... My plan was to buy the RWD now, then sell in 6-12 months to upgrade to an AWD or P model. I currently drive a Porsche Macan S and love it. I feel like the M3 might feel like a step down from the Porsche. First world problems, I know.

First world indeed. I’ve heard great things about the Macan and it is one of the cars on my short list if I don’t get invited to configure (so close and so far away!).

Interesting analysis on the way orders are being processed. Tesla May Be Burning Through Model 3 Orders Faster Than Expected

I'm not sure they are as close as the article states. According to the Model 3 tracker spreadsheet, less than half of the 3/31 non-owner reservations have been invited to configure and it has been over a month since they started going out to non-owners.

There are a few 4/1 reservations invited but it is a small # so it could just be a glitch in the invitation software or could be people who reserved 3/31 but got the email confirmation 4/1 and used that date as the reservation date.

I worry what's going to happen when all the M3 production starts going to Canada. Just a few of the very early reservation holders have gotten invited and now we are approaching 200,000 cars. Looks like Elon & Co. has started doing what he said they would. Shipping cars out of the country until the beginning of the next quarter, that's July! Perhaps they will interleave it so we still get cars just at a slower rate (is that possible?) I haven't heard anyone say exactly how many cars have shipped.

-Randy

I worry what's going to happen when all the M3 production starts going to Canada. Just a few of the very early reservation holders have gotten invited and now we are approaching 200,000 cars. Looks like Elon & Co. has started doing what he said they would. Shipping cars out of the country until the beginning of the next quarter, that's July! Perhaps they will interleave it so we still get cars just at a slower rate (is that possible?) I haven't heard anyone say exactly how many cars have shipped.

-Randy

According to insideevs.com, Tesla has sold 169,431 lifetime vehicles domestically through Feb 2018. In March-June 2017, Tesla sold 13,549 Ss & Xs - assuming they sell the same amount this year, that puts sales at 182,980 so Tesla can sell another 17,000 3s over the next four months to stay under the 200,000.

Couple things - not sure if all the 169k vehicles were part of the rebate program. The only recent number I could find was end of 2017Q2 from Edmunds which put Tesla at 121,140 compared to total sales through the same period of 131,564 which would allow Tesla to sell an additional 10k Model 3s. In addition, they could shift additional Ss & Xs internationally as well to lower their US sales until Q3. Assuming they can shift some additional S&X sales internationally (which seems reasonable as they now have longer lead times for any new orders) and taking Edmunds stats as correct, Tesla could sell around 30,000 3s over the next four months to stay under the 200,000 - that comes out to 7,500 per month or just under 2,000 per week. Considering March will most likely be under 7,500, that will allow for greater sales for Q2.

We should have a better picture after next week once Q1 sales are reported.

If anyone has better numbers of where Tesla stands right now on the number of rebates, please share.

I got mine Thursday night, sometime between 8PM and midnight. No email, just checked the website. I actually closed the window because I was annoyed at not having got an invite (I had checked repeatedly throughout the day) when it registered on me that something was different about the page). San Diego (Fashion Valley) line waiter, ~11AM reservation. Black, 18 aeros, no AP

My VIN showed up in my Tesla account 13 days after I had configured.
For those who've been down this ordering and waiting rodeo before, what is the time frame for a VIN? I'm super impatient to get the financing and insurance balls rolling and finalized.

3/31/16 line water; non-owner. My VIN showed up exactly 4 weeks after config. Time to VIN seems to vary from a day or 2 out to just under infinity!

Reactions: LBusDoor90