Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Owner - Just Placed my Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This appears so random.

I live in the same city as a Service Center. I know they do deliveries of the Model 3 there (I saw one). I'm first day reserved at about 10:30 AM. Nothing yet. As a CA resident, I should have been one of the first rather than people all over the country.

That said, I'm not in a particular rush so I'm not upset or anything. Yes, I'll probably order as soon as I get my invite, but that's more to secure the $7500 tax credit than anything else. There's still a big part of me very tempted by the white interior, just being tugged the other way by the other half wanting to secure the tax credit.
Apparently the CA priority only applies to the owners batch. For non-owners, from what I've seen and informed, people all over the country are getting invites. For example, 2 line waiters on the first day, the one in North Carolina got the invite where one in North Cal has not yet received one. At this point, I don't believe CA resident has any priority.

White interior. It would be interesting to see if in the future, Tesla makes it possible for Model 3 owners who have black seats to pay a fee and swap them out for white seats. Now that might be very cool for a lot of people.

That would be cool. I believe that gave the option to S owners to come back and upgrade some hardware way back when.

Be cool if they offered this. Logistically, I can't see it happening. Stocking seats takes a ton more room than some electronic part.

White interior. It would be interesting to see if in the future, Tesla makes it possible for Model 3 owners who have black seats to pay a fee and swap them out for white seats. Now that might be very cool for a lot of people.

I have this crazy idea that Tesla will make it possible to convert RWD M3s to AWD in the future.

In the Munro video, Munro mentioned that Tesla already made allowances in the current model to put in the front drive system so based on my zero engineering knowledge I concluded that converting to AWD would be simple.

I have this crazy idea that Tesla will make it possible to convert RWD M3s to AWD in the future.

In the Munro video, Munro mentioned that Tesla already made allowances in the current model to put in the front drive system so based on my zero engineering knowledge I concluded that converting to AWD would be simple.
*Counterpoint wet rag*

It'd require redo replacement of front wheels, at least parts of the front suspension, and then tying in the high power wiring to the battery pack (though the channels are already there). Also reprogram of onboard computers to use the right code to account for AWD. Also, potentially a standard AWD would use a smaller motor in the rear (otherwise there could be too high of current draw requirements, without installing a different battery pack).

At that point "sell it and buy a new one" starts looking a whole lot better. Unlikely that Tesla would market such a product, not when the alternative to that messy solution is just sell you a new one, so then you're into 3rd party and who knows how that'll work out but you'll definitely be tossing your remaining drivetrain warrantee.

Last edited:

Not 100% I understand what your post is trying to say. I think the design makes it easy for them to use the same chassis but my gut would be they are not going to offer to "upgrade" a RWD to a AWD in the future if that's what you are thinking.

Definitely not, the reason for the allowances were for manufacturing efficiency and simplicity.

If you reserved online and are getting an invite before people who waited in line, Tesla's either opening up configuration semi-randomly, or they're basing it on the delivery throughput they have in a particular area. So someone in LA or East Bay will probably get their car earlier than someone who doesn't live near a large delivery center.

What in the world makes you think he reserved online??

I waited overnight and was first in the store at 10 am pacific and out by 10:02

I don't believe anybody who reserved online has gotten an invitation, only really early line waiters.

Apparently the CA priority only applies to the owners batch. For non-owners, from what I've seen and informed, people all over the country are getting invites. For example, 2 line waiters on the first day, the one in North Carolina got the invite where one in North Cal has not yet received one. At this point, I don't believe CA resident has any priority.

Yeah, I thought being a line-waiter living near the factory would have gotten me the ability to configure much sooner. But still waiting...

I suspect doing only CA deliveries at the current production rate would mean bogging down their delivery capacity, thus some deliveries are being sent to other areas. Still seems like highest percent to CA in the latest batch, though. Or maybe they wanted to do some East Coast deliveries now, since transit delay increases actual delivery time. Then production closer to the end of the quarter will re-bias back to shorter delivery times (West Coast). Or Elon reads TMC daily and adjusts deliveries based on whether he likes your posts (smart move, Elon!).