Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-PUP X Owners: Would You Upgrade to Self-Presenting Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have 3 young kids. If they walk in front of me in the garage, they'd get scared by the self-present door when it pops open. If they walk behind me, they'd definitely get hit by the door ;)
Makes sense. However, when you walk towards the car from the front, the door only pops open slightly. Only when you walk up to it from the rear does it open wide (dictated by sensors).

It seems in order of easy to hard, the PUP features that could potentially be added as options are:

1) Self presenting doors - could probably OTA that feature
2) Biodefense - software plus installation of HEPA filter. I have installed a 3rd party filter myself and it takes 10 min.
3) Premium stereo - software plus installation of additional speakers. Mounting holes and brackets are already in place. I would bet the wiring is already in place too. If true, installation would probably be under an hour.
4) Subzero - not sure if these are upgradeable versus needed replacement parts.
5) Fog lights and LED lighting - I think these are standard for 2017 and later and also not sure if these are upgradeable.

Personally, I would only be interested in #2 and #3.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Your doors are going to get a lot of dings. You can use summon, every other car cant

Your not wrong my current car is 1890cm wide and gets a few, just apart of driving thankfullly 15EV Charger bays in work and only 6 RV owners in whole company so I may not feel the pain at work until we get more EVs our and about I’ll just park away from busy bits or do what bmw drivers do and take 2 spaces lol

What are your thoughts? If you are a non-PUP X owner, would you be willing to pay a "reasonable" price to upgrade to self-presenting doors?

Yes i would pay a reasonable amount for the self presenting doors functionality. I would actually turn off the self presentation function but would use the 'double click to open' function for the driver's side all the time.

Yes i would pay a reasonable amount for the self presenting doors functionality. I would actually turn off the self presentation function but would use the 'double click to open' function for the driver's side all the time.

Agreed. Can’t understand why they wouldn’t enable this either for a fee or for free. Really hoping they do — it’s just software!!

Your not wrong my current car is 1890cm wide and gets a few, just apart of driving thankfullly 15EV Charger bays in work and only 6 RV owners in whole company so I may not feel the pain
at work until we get more EVs our and about I’ll just park away from busy bits or do what bmw drivers do and take 2 spaces lol
J
I think Abstract Ocean can do a better job in that area. Check this out.

I think Abstract Ocean can do a better job in that area. Check this out.

I just did a quick check on Amazon and also found the brighter interior lights for MX, and also the Tesla logo welcome LED door lights.

Agreed, although I think there are threads showing a DIY option for biohazard.

Don’t see myself ever paying for presenting doors. Tested it out and not sure if I want doors always opening when I am walking by the car. Even if free likely would use for a little while and then turn the feature off. Would rather have an option to selectively open front doors with key fob. Another interesting poll would be to ask those with PUP how often they keep the feature on, that would help us without the feature gauge how useful it is in day to day life.

I have PUP and absolutely love the self presenting doors & bio-defense mode. When I walk by not intending to get in the car, the door will still pop open. The nice part is if I walk away, the door will close itself and lock - kinda spooky but very cool!