Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla recommendations for 2nd cheaper EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ended up getting a Fiat 500, and it seems pretty good - except for the software. Numerous early bugs, which is expected, but we're still waiting to actually get an update done. Dealer had the car for a week, failed to update - but still charged £20 per day for insurance on their loan car. Another attempt booked for next week. We were told that updates were OTA. Dealer is clearly not a reliable source of information.

Winter range (Mon/Tue this week) could be as low as about 120 miles (I don't know the exact end charge level) over several trips, cold starts and no shore power for preheat (That's assuming the trip info in the app is accurate - and that is a big assumption).

Clock in the car needs to be updated manually for summer time (and doesn't stay synced).
Can't stop a charge from the app, no numeric data about charges except for time to complete (which is a pain when it randomly switches to charging at 1/5 of the advertised capacity).
Setting up the App takes an exchange with central customer service if the dealer doesn't get it right.
No detailed stats like with TeslaFi - and it doesn't look like the API is set up for continuous activity, the app is frequently out of date with its status.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57 and Avendit
Fortunately @tsh2 my wife won’t bother about any of that (although useful for me to hear) - she gets in ‘my’ Tesla, ignores everything else and just drives it.

She will do the same with her Fiat.

….”why do I need Apple CarPlay or satnav, I know where I’m going & it’s your job to charge it for me”😳

Reactions: Olibol
She will do the same with her Fiat.

….”why do I need Apple CarPlay or satnav, I know where I’m going & it’s your job to charge it for me”😳
There's a lot to be said for simplicity. Give me a few tactile buttons/stalks to run my tesla and a basic display in front of the steering wheel and a flat plate to clamp a tablet PC with power socket and I can run whatever sat-nav or apps/progs that I want.

Wireless android auto works on the 500 from my phone (Oneplus 8T), but none of the other phones in the family - we have a screen in the car, but no satnav.

Simple is fine for short trips, but I had a call this morning to ask about range and options this evening (since the car didn't get charged last night, contrary to my suggestion that in winter, 2 days use without a charge is not going to be sensible. Charging it is not in my job description, I just advise...).

My better half has a VW Up ICE which has been a great little car so far. It was the last of the 90ps fuel-injected range and although quite basic inside goes very well and is very solid. It has a deceptively large interior for a small car, easy to drive and park in town but also happy plugging along at 80mph. 0-60 is around 9.5 seconds so it's decent.

We're now looking at the e-Up which had a big update in 2020 I think and now has a credible range of 160 miles and 40kw "fast" charging. Still "basic" inside and top speed is only 81 mph with acceleration around 11 sec 0-60. So a bit of a performance hit versus the ICE version but it's a town car primarily. Reviews also seem solid. Not sure yet but it's a contender.

As we're talking about a 'cheaper EV', what's the relative rate of depreciation between different EVs? Depreciation will be an even bigger part of the running costs than for an ICE car given that the costs of servicing, vehicle tax (here in the UK at least) and fuel are so much lower.

Looking at online car prices I'm seeing quite keen discounts on the Nissan Leaf but the depreciation predictions for that are quite high. Not much discount on the VW ID.3 at all but that's in demand and predicted to be the slowest depreciating EV in its class.

I'm personally pretty sceptical that cars with less than 200 miles real world range will hold their value well. In a few years that sort of range is going look well behind the curve. Also after a few years of battery degradation that's not going to be a great range for a winter highway journey, especially if the car has used most of that smaller range on a regular basis (extra battery degradation from a regular high depth of discharge). I'm looking at second EVs too but I'm probably staying with ICE for our low mileage second car until EVs with better range are cheaper (either used or new).

Not sure that I would put a Renault Zoe on my short list after having its 0 (zero) Euro NCAP rating highlighted on BBC Regional News this evening. Sounds like Renault 'deleted' the head protection air bags that would have prevented drivers head impact with obstacles in side impact incidents. And note to self, don't have an impact with one as a pedestrian.

I'll still stand by our Smart EQ ForTwo. 90 mile range in summer and a 4-hour granny charger top up on Octopus Go (via a circuit that's only active for 4 hours a night) adds 30 miles each time, so it's easy to prevent charging to 100% as Smart Chargers and the car electronics in the car can't do that. The car cost £16k and 1.1p a mile to run and the limited range suits us.

I test drove the new MG ZS EV Long Range today as a possible cheaper second EV.

Pretty impressive value for money and decent WLTP combined range of 273 miles - I need a car that will have a reliable 120-150 mile range for winter highway driving. Looks and feels a lot like the 2015 Nissan Qashqai we used to own.

The upsides:
Great range for the money,
Very well equipped for the money.
Impressive quality interior for a budget car.
Impressive and responsive infotainment though sometimes seems a bit complex and the aesthetics are average.
Great to have an opening panoramic sunroof.
Surprisingly smooth ride on bumpy roads for an EV with a heavy 72kWh battery
Really easy, relaxing and unfussy to drive
Capable app to access the car

The downsides:
Feels *really* slow after a Tesla Model 3 Long Range though specced as 0-62mph in 8.4 seconds
Vague handling and steering without much feedback though it never felt out of control
Pretty easy to spin the driving wheels (tested on damp roads)
The most boring car I've ever driven but for some people that might be an asset.