Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla Trade Ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone traded in a vehicle when purchasing their Tesla? Do they provide good value for the trade in?

I'm debating whether to do this when getting my model 3 or just selling my current VW privately/myself.

I just got a quote from Tesla on trading in my 1-year-old 3. It was impressively high. But I'll still see what I can get on the private market.

Has anyone traded in a vehicle when purchasing their Tesla? Do they provide good value for the trade in?

I'm debating whether to do this when getting my model 3 or just selling my current VW privately/myself.
Sold my Model S70 to VROOM for a great price a few months after buying my 3. Of course I missed out on the tax savings which would have occurred here in Texas if I had traded in.

I traded in my 17 Golf R to them last month. It wasn't too bad. They offered me $28,500 and carvana offered me $30,000 so around $1500 less BUT i was going to save around $1500 in taxes trading it in so it was a wash. I traded it in to them as it was way easier and the transaction was smooth.

I seem to be the odd man out here.

I had a 2013 Elantra GLS,with a 6-speed manual with ~120,000 miles. The local Hyundai dealer offered me $2,000 for it, Carmax offered me $3,000, and I ended up trading it in for my 3 Performance for $4,000.

Tesla and the local Ram dealership quoted me $16,000 for my Ram. KBB was about $17,000 and CarMax offered $19,000. Tesla then matched it after I showed them the written offer. They never even looked at my truck when I traded it in other than to check the odometer for the paperwork.

I guess I caught some bad luck, or my car doesn't have much value wholesale. At the EOQ I order a 3, went through the trade process and Carmax and Tesla came in way too low. I was offered $10,400 on a 13 335i Xdrive with 98,800 in really good condition (new tires, brakes, all records ect). I received a KBB instant quote for $13k. I see my car with more miles for sale in the high teens. This was the last weekend in Q3 and I just wasn't feeling it and didn't want to do the two separate transactions. I guess it just wasn't my time.

• Informative
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I traded a 2010 Lexus GS350 for my new Model 3 about 5 months ago. Tesla offered $10K for it. KBB was at about $12,000. I went for the Tesla offer and the transaction was smooth as silk. They didn't even really scrutinize the car although there was nothing wrong with it. I have sold a lot of my own cars over the years but it can be a major PITA, so I was glad to do it this way.

I replaced an older Ford Taurus SHO with 100,000 miles. When I was looking at a new Ford Edge, one Ford dealer offered me $5k for the car, another dealer offered me $6k. Tesla offered me $5200 (sight unseen, just a quote over the internet). I decided to sell on my own and got $7500 cash for it from the second guy who looked at it.

• Informative
Reactions: TrumpetTitan