Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal heat wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Garden Valley had the evacuation warning lifted Sunday evening and life is pretty much back to normal for us. The only electrical impact impact to me was smoke obscuring solar production on some days.
Georgetown has had its mandatory evacuation order lifted.

On a off-topic note, I discovered how poorly communication can be within telecommunication companies during a fire.
A week before the Mosquito fire we lost both home internet (AT&T fixed wireless which uses cell towers) and both my wife and I lost internet access on our Verizon cell phones. We contacted AT&T who told us everything on their end was OK so they set up a service appointment for the following week (the problem was happening on a Sunday evening). I was unable to get ahold of a live person at Verizon. Their automated system required me to click on a link in a text message before I could continue which didn't work since I had no internet. I called my sister who lives about half an hour from me to see if her internet was working, which it was. She could chat with a Verizon person who gave several phone numbers for me to try but each one routed me back to the same automated system which sent me a text with a link to click on before I could continue. The tech my sister was chatting with finally just said I would have to wait until the next morning to get ahold of a live person.
The next morning I was having the same problem but finally managed to get ahold of a live person (I had to select a sales option to talk to a sales person so they could route me to customer service). The customer service person insisted their system was working normally and the problem was with my phone even after I explained that my wife had the same problem on her phone as well as our home internet being out. I followed all her troubleshooting steps until she told me I was going to have to do a factory reset. At that point I stopped.
My neighbor came over that afternoon. He told me that there was a small fire that burned through the main communications cable to our area and that all the landlines were down (I have VOIP so I wasn't aware of the land lines being down). He told me there were several AT&T repair vehicles working on the telecommunications line when he drove by in the morning. So at the same Verizon was telling me that the problem was on my end there were service crews making repairs to the system. Luckily, the fire was contained and didn't grow into a large fire. If I had followed the Verizon representative's instructions I could have been in a situation where I had to evacuate but had either an inoperable phone or a phone like a brand new phone with none of my contact information since it requires internet to repopulate the information.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Garden Valley had the evacuation warning lifted Sunday evening and life is pretty much back to normal for us. The only electrical impact impact to me was smoke obscuring solar production on some days.
Georgetown has had its mandatory evacuation order lifted.

On a off-topic note, I discovered how poorly communication can be within telecommunication companies during a fire.
A week before the Mosquito fire we lost both home internet (AT&T fixed wireless which uses cell towers) and both my wife and I lost internet access on our Verizon cell phones. We contacted AT&T who told us everything on their end was OK so they set up a service appointment for the following week (the problem was happening on a Sunday evening). I was unable to get ahold of a live person at Verizon. Their automated system required me to click on a link in a text message before I could continue which didn't work since I had no internet. I called my sister who lives about half an hour from me to see if her internet was working, which it was. She could chat with a Verizon person who gave several phone numbers for me to try but each one routed me back to the same automated system which sent me a text with a link to click on before I could continue. The tech my sister was chatting with finally just said I would have to wait until the next morning to get ahold of a live person.
The next morning I was having the same problem but finally managed to get ahold of a live person (I had to select a sales option to talk to a sales person so they could route me to customer service). The customer service person insisted their system was working normally and the problem was with my phone even after I explained that my wife had the same problem on her phone as well as our home internet being out. I followed all her troubleshooting steps until she told me I was going to have to do a factory reset. At that point I stopped.
My neighbor came over that afternoon. He told me that there was a small fire that burned through the main communications cable to our area and that all the landlines were down (I have VOIP so I wasn't aware of the land lines being down). He told me there were several AT&T repair vehicles working on the telecommunications line when he drove by in the morning. So at the same Verizon was telling me that the problem was on my end there were service crews making repairs to the system. Luckily, the fire was contained and didn't grow into a large fire. If I had followed the Verizon representative's instructions I could have been in a situation where I had to evacuate but had either an inoperable phone or a phone like a brand new phone with none of my contact information since it requires internet to repopulate the information.
Good that you are back home and safe

Good that you are back home and safe
The biggest inconvenience during an evacuation waring is that you always have to b prepared to not being able to reenter when you leave. So that means you always have to take a to go bag and your pets when you leave the warning zone incase you won't be allowed to return. But that is nothing compared to being under a mandatory evacuation.

Here's another news piece that continues the train of thought that EVs are putting more stress and costs on the grid.

While the headline suggests the issue is an overnight charging issue, the article does say that EVs are going to contribute to an overall 25% grid peak demand increase by 2035. This will drive up prices and further cause issues with the grid.

IMO, Tesla really needs to start integrating stuff like what Charge HQ - EV Smart Charging App touts... where the excess solar from a rooftop array is used to charge a car in the daytime. This seems a logical next step to make sure only clean energy is used to charge the car; and the public grid is not encumbered by the charging.

And taken a step further, if the millions of idling EVs in garages/parking-lots can backfeed the grid at 6pm to reduce endpoint demand, that should keep the grid more stable as well.

Here's another news piece that continues the train of thought that EVs are putting more stress and costs on the grid.

While the headline suggests the issue is an overnight charging issue, the article does say that EVs are going to contribute to an overall 25% grid peak demand increase by 2035. This will drive up prices and further cause issues with the grid.

IMO, Tesla really needs to start integrating stuff like what Charge HQ - EV Smart Charging App touts... where the excess solar from a rooftop array is used to charge a car in the daytime. This seems a logical next step to make sure only clean energy is used to charge the car; and the public grid is not encumbered by the charging.

And taken a step further, if the millions of idling EVs in garages/parking-lots can backfeed the grid at 6pm to reduce endpoint demand, that should keep the grid more stable as well.
I just had a presentation with Fermata energy and this is coming though slowly. The commercial space is happening right now and the residential space is coming. We need to flip the script and show how EV's can be helpful to even the grid demand. Practically this will take a few more years but utilities already have programs to turn off your AC, why not a similar program to throttle EV charging if it would be an issue for the grid?

I just had a presentation with Fermata energy and this is coming though slowly. The commercial space is happening right now and the residential space is coming. We need to flip the script and show how EV's can be helpful to even the grid demand. Practically this will take a few more years but utilities already have programs to turn off your AC, why not a similar program to throttle EV charging if it would be an issue for the grid?

PG&E is running this program called EV Pulse (operated by a Bay Area startup called WeaveGrid):

Edit: I did not sign up for this because having PG&E get a connection to your gear ... sucks. You can never get PG&E out of your gear. For example I have a Nest Thermostat that I stupidly enrolled in the peak-time-flex-whatevers in 2019 before I got solar and ESS. I literally cannot remove PG&E from the Nest Account integration. PG&E tries to hit me with a flex "power saver" that I have to override.

Just too bad technology is not ready to do what I would want. Buy and EV that could be used as a battery, like my powerwalls, Then I would not have to buy more powerwalls. :)

Reactions: cybertrucker
Just too bad technology is not ready to do what I would want. Buy and EV that could be used as a battery, like my powerwalls, Then I would not have to buy more powerwalls. :)
This tech is at its infancy still, but dcbel will sell you a charger and any C-10 could install it. PGE could interconnect it if the inverter/charger is on the list (haven't checked lately but it might still need some hoops to jump through before it's on the list)

I am still running down the details, to understand if it is possible to integrate with Tesla Powerwalls in its current state. Dcbel is startup sized so they really don't have a lot of installed product on walls and homes yet and are being cautious with the products they do have.

Over the next year or 2 I would love to integrate one of these chargers with a home backup system.

This tech is at its infancy still, but dcbel will sell you a charger and any C-10 could install it. PGE could interconnect it if the inverter/charger is on the list (haven't checked lately but it might still need some hoops to jump through before it's on the list)

I am still running down the details, to understand if it is possible to integrate with Tesla Powerwalls in its current state. Dcbel is startup sized so they really don't have a lot of installed product on walls and homes yet and are being cautious with the products they do have.

Over the next year or 2 I would love to integrate one of these chargers with a home backup system.

I think you all should use H2ofun's house as a test bed to try out all this new tech stuff.

• Funny
Reactions: STS-134

That data sheet they sent, and I posted, so does not work with powerwalls.

And since I have my inverters already, sure have no desire to spend 8K on another inverter.

And in my case, with two gateways, seems one would have to decide which loads to backup, meaning, cannot do them all with one car, unless you wired up for two and plugged the car into the one you wanted to use. I guess this is what I have done with my powers on each gateway.

That data sheet they sent, and I posted, so does not work with powerwalls.

And since I have my inverters already, sure have no desire to spend 8K on another inverter.

And in my case, with two gateways, seems one would have to decide which loads to backup, meaning, cannot do them all with one car, unless you wired up for two and plugged the car into the one you wanted to use. I guess this is what I have done with my powers on each gateway.
If you start having solar edge inverters fail you might change your mind. They should last 5-15 years depending on the environment installed in. SE doesnt have a great track record recently though. If you chose to add more PV panels maybe this would be an option. It likely would only integrate with one of the 2 halves of your current system, unless you combined the 2 halves behind a single gateway.

I am pretty technical and so I might be able to understand and make things work that you aren't able to. The person you spoke to at dcbel, Hatem has passed me along to the engineers so we can have these conversations in the future. He admitted that while there is no plug and play with Powerwalls, it might still work with some extra hardware/software.

I'm waiting for this. One of my reasons to not go crazy wild with just a ton of ESS since a car can have a lot more power already than any PW/Home battery storage setup. I wouldn't mind having an F150 or a big truck, but that's not in the cards yet.

I still think having a mix of everything/all is the best option for all catergoies (climate change, self sufficiency, IOU independence, cost).

We already charge during the day when the sun is shining assuming it's not crazy hot like the earlier few weeks where we can't do both. This is also where having any energy storage can give you flexibility if the IOU decides to raise prices off hours or peak (so you just charge during the day using your batteries if you don't have enough solar panels to completely cover your charging).

...We need to flip the script and show how EV's can be helpful to even the grid demand. Practically this will take a few more years...
None of us should be surprised if California mandates all BEVs sold in a few years be V2G ready and warrantied for such. Some years to make a practical difference seems likely, but helping the grid is too modest a description. They would crush peak demand problems/the duck curve once fully implemented.

Who knows, CA may become a major net electricity exporter at that point.

I just wish someone would make a V2H option where I could just tell the EV to discharge through a AC inverter at like 10 kW... and then I slap this 10kW on the generation panel of my existing Tesla Gateway 2.

So I basically trick the PV+ESS into thinking I got 10 kW of solar coming in at 10pm. And Tesla Gateway uses the energy to charge the PWs or run the house.

But not export back to the grid because using energy from or sending energy to PG&E is not cool. Fixed costs something something fair share.

If you start having solar edge inverters fail you might change your mind. They should last 5-15 years depending on the environment installed in. SE doesnt have a great track record recently though. If you chose to add more PV panels maybe this would be an option. It likely would only integrate with one of the 2 halves of your current system, unless you combined the 2 halves behind a single gateway.

I am pretty technical and so I might be able to understand and make things work that you aren't able to. The person you spoke to at dcbel, Hatem has passed me along to the engineers so we can have these conversations in the future. He admitted that while there is no plug and play with Powerwalls, it might still work with some extra hardware/software.
Great, hoping maybe you can get a technical solution, since you have 5 PW's.

But, no way am I paying 8K each for another inverter, plus an EV car!!! So far looks like ICE all the way. Now, maybe a PHEV

I'm waiting for this. One of my reasons to not go crazy wild with just a ton of ESS since a car can have a lot more power already than any PW/Home battery storage setup. I wouldn't mind having an F150 or a big truck, but that's not in the cards yet.

I still think having a mix of everything/all is the best option for all catergoies (climate change, self sufficiency, IOU independence, cost).

We already charge during the day when the sun is shining assuming it's not crazy hot like the earlier few weeks where we can't do both. This is also where having any energy storage can give you flexibility if the IOU decides to raise prices off hours or peak (so you just charge during the day using your batteries if you don't have enough solar panels to completely cover your charging).
True. Just would like to use the 30% tax credit to get some of the tax money back. Plus, code is making it harder to add PW's so its now or never.

But, no way am I paying 8K each for another inverter, plus an EV car!!! So far looks like ICE all the way. Now, maybe a PHEV

If you can use a mammoth EV battery to do backup at your home, you can grid defect and never pay any more costs to PG&E. Isn’t that priceless?

If you can use a mammoth EV battery to do backup at your home, you can grid defect and never pay any more costs to PG&E. Isn’t that priceless?
With a large 99.9% electric house, just impossible to do during the winter. Even if I had unlimited money, it would still take something that would never be allowed in a residential home. But at least for most of the year, I am off grid. Still waiting for my latest true up, been 3 months now. Weird

Which is it? You can't take it with you, might as well spend money being the first to make it happen?

Commercial 277/480 bi-directional chargers are over $11k, $8k seems pretty reasonable to me, and you get a PV inverter out of the deal. As this tech matures there will be more options and competition will drive down prices.

That Leaf you'd get like $10k back between fed and state, maybe $200 per month if you participate in a V2G program (when available)