Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal heat wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the CA ISO site, we are about at Peak Demand for the day. But Net Demand (minus renewables) is still going up. If they are starting rolling blackouts now, where is that additional Net Demand power coming from? And, if there is additional Net Demand power available why isn't it being applied now?

On the CA ISO site, we are about at Peak Demand for the day. But Net Demand (minus renewables) is still going up. If they are starting rolling blackouts now, where is that additional Net Demand power coming from? And, if there is additional Net Demand power available why isn't it being applied now?
They haven't started rolling blackouts yet. The outages are probably weather-related but not intentional. They haven't posted an EEA 3 notice yet, which I believe would preceed actual rolling outages.

from CA ISO

Interesting to me is that the previous record was set SIXTEEN years ago. With all the growth and electrification, I would have expected consumption to have increased much more. Also, if EVs were actually allowed to discharge to the grid to support afternoon demand, things would be much different. Example: 1 million EVs at 50 KWh = 50 GWh, spread over 5 hours, that’s about 20% of the 51 GW peak mentioned in the article. So, imagine 20M EVs, all charging on free excess solar from 10-2, then discharging to support the grid, while receiving $0.50/KWh compensation. Won’t happen, but that’s what they’re scared of. 😱

Reactions: charlesj
They're still below the Resource Adequacy Capactity, which I think is the pre-purchased amount. When they go over that, they're going to have to buy in the real-time market. There are still a few GW of unloaded capacity left.
I just looked at the Supply graphs from yesterday. The most significant increase is NG. Some increase in imports, but imports were higher in the am then dipped, now going back up, but has not surpassed the morning import peak. Some increase in large hydro.

I think rolling blackouts are now on

I just looked at the Supply graphs from yesterday. The most significant increase is NG. Some increase in imports, but imports were higher in the am then dipped, now going back up, but has not surpassed the morning import peak. Some increase in large hydro.

I think rolling blackouts are now on

Yep, they're on EEA3 now, which starts the rolling outage blocks.

Just received on my phone
4B220C51-CE5E-408E-AA4E-E9B3E041C7B7.jpeg

Turned both our AC units up to 80.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and ReddyLeaf
They haven't started rolling blackouts yet. The outages are probably weather-related but not intentional. They haven't posted an EEA 3 notice yet, which I believe would preceed actual rolling outages.
I heard on the news yesterday that a number of outages were due to transformers blow up from the high heat. Did notice on the caIOS that there was a Transmission Emergency for northern Calif (PG&E).

Reactions: ElectricIAC
same here (state wide i assume?).... us lil piggies that made our house of bricks 🧱 are prob feelin better 🙌🏼
Still think there’s a real possibility we could be spending a very uncomfortable no-AC night tonight. Lights, refrig/freezer working but not much else depending on reserve setting and number of PWs available.

It’s these multiple days/nights of high temps that kill the batteries ability to recharge from the sun (which we have plenty of cloudless days now) when you need to use the AC. Our AC system is old so when we replace next year we should be in a better position.

Last edited: