Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal heat wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes really. Your first map called a vast swath of California "agland" when in fact it is truthfully desert, as your second map concedes.

The funny (or maybe sad) thing is while you are searching for rainfall amounts from 30+ years ago to support your pre conceived notions, the statewide enviro climes have changed and you haven't even noticed:

View attachment 853811

I hope people notice and demand changes before it's too late.

Please don't post misdirected/misleading data. You posted "recharge", not precipitation. That is a different topic and not part of the definition of desert.

Yes really. Your first map called a vast swath of California "agland" when in fact it is truthfully desert, as your second map concedes.

The funny (or maybe sad) thing is while you are searching for rainfall amounts from 30+ years ago to support your pre conceived notions, the statewide enviro climes have changed and you haven't even noticed:

View attachment 853811

I hope people notice and demand changes before it's too late.

This is a recharge map.
But these days you can search for and find almost anything to support a pre conceived notion.
Oh. Right.

Please don't post misdirected/misleading data. You posted "recharge", not precipitation. That is a different topic and not part of the definition of desert.

again....you are obsessed with minor things that cause you to miss the bigger picture, forest for the trees as they say. If the aquifers don't recharge there are BIG problems.

Similar to the spread of invasive species in Texas. Cedar (Juniper) moved south with the cattle drives same as mesquite moved north. When the government decided to put out every prairie fire they really took over. Started choking out the aquifers and boom! Springs went dry. Then peoples wells went dry. Now river flows are lower and in a few decades there won't be enough drinking water.

The climate is changing and you are denying it. Makes me sad.

again....you are obsessed with minor things that cause you to miss the bigger picture, forest for the trees as they say. If the aquifers don't recharge there are BIG problems.

Similar to the spread of invasive species in Texas. Cedar (Juniper) moved south with the cattle drives same as mesquite moved north. When the government decided to put out every prairie fire they really took over. Started choking out the aquifers and boom! Springs went dry. Then peoples wells went dry. Now river flows are lower and in a few decades there won't be enough drinking water.

The climate is changing and you are denying it. Makes me sad.

curious as to your interest in NorCal's "picture".

And who here is denying climate change?
For the record, what is your setup? Solar, Powerwalls, EV(s)

Reactions: BGbreeder and iPlug
curious as to your interest in NorCal's "picture".

And who here is denying climate change?
For the record, what is your setup? Solar, Powerwalls, EV(s)

My interest was to see how solar and powerwall users were doing in this changing environment (answer seems to be they forgot to insulate their house or replace their 20 year old AC so they drained their PWs in one night).

My setup is stuck in the design stages because Tesla was about to expand here when the supply chain shortages hit.....crickets from them since.

Is there a required "setup" to post here?

Last edited:
My interest was to see how solar and powerwall users were doing in this changing environment (answer seems to be they forgot to insulate their house or replace their 20 year old AC so they drained their PWs in one night).

My setup is stuck in the design stages because Tesla was about to expand here when the supply chain shortages hit.....crickets from them since.

Is there a required "setup" to post here?

For the record, I have 11 kW solar; 3 PWs, 1 EV and 1 Hybrid SUV
my house is very insulated and I just replaced both my AC

Good luck with your order. Hope your home is insulated and you have a new AC

You are a Cyber trucker because?

Please take the climate change discussion to the environment subforum, there is a specific thread there where that can be discussed:

I like the smell of my own farts as much as the next person… but I can’t tell if you’re somehow gatekeeping what you think is “good/bad” approach to energy. Then you’re getting upset that someone’s gatekeeping you since you don’t have a system yet.

Regardless of “desert” or “arid” I think just about every person posting in this sub has their own reasons for wanting better management of their energy profile.

The only requisite to post here is to realize we’re all doing something energy related and not being a combative to differing motives, resources, and timing.

Then you’re getting upset that someone’s gatekeeping you since you don’t have a system yet.

Not upset at all. Just find it funny and sad at the same time that members here are questioning others solar/PW/EV credentials to post on the forum. Is this how echo chambers are formed?

Hopefully the supply chain issues get sorted and Tesla can build a large distributed grid of solar and battery storage for residential homes. Maybe that will save the grid because it seems evident the individual states are all failing in their own way.

Not upset at all. Just find it funny and sad at the same time that members here are questioning others solar/PW/EV credentials to post on the forum. Is this how echo chambers are formed?

Hopefully the supply chain issues get sorted and Tesla can build a large distributed grid of solar and battery storage for residential homes. Maybe that will save the grid because it seems evident the individual states are all failing in their own way.

Thats being questioned because it appears you are trying to direct a conversation on a topic we do not cover in this subforum, into this subforum. If you want to debate climate change, whether someplace is a desert or something, please do that in the climate change thread I linked above, which is in the subforum for that debate.

When I read the above post, it seemed to me like the poster totally missed the point of someone asking about his technology. "Hey what is your system like?" was an attempt to get back on topic. This forum is among the most helpful environments, probably because our mods treat the posters with respect and we get a lot of latitude.

@cybertrucker somewhere in this thread you started feeling attacked and started posting defensively. Nobody here is interested in creating an echo chamber, but also this isn't the forum for discussing climate change.

Across the world, very dry and hot areas are only as liveable as well as our technology can tame the climate. This latest heat wave was a real departure from the normal state of Norcal temps, that it deserves some discussion as to how our technology handled the stress.

Personally, my home was almost unbearable when I returned to it in the middle of the heatwave from Oregon. I saw 118F in Williams on the way down, and when I got home the internal temperature was 91F. However, with just a single small AC unit wasn't enough to really keep things cool, we simply don't have the BTU capacity yet until our HVAC upgrade comes through. This had been plenty of cooling capacity previously, and 3 years ago, we had no AC capability and didn't feel we needed it.

After a few days of cooling, overnight venting and shading the house, we were able to cap the internal temps at 81F during the heatwave. This is a good reminder that even with a large powerwall system, our smallish HVAC just couldn't keep up if this is the new normal. I hope the IRA will help me to fund these HVAC and appliance upgrades so I will use more electricity, but hopefully little to no natural gas.

Personally, my home was almost unbearable when I returned to it in the middle of the heatwave from Oregon. I saw 118F in Williams on the way down, and when I got home the internal temperature was 91F. However, with just a single small AC unit wasn't enough to really keep things cool, we simply don't have the BTU capacity yet until our HVAC upgrade comes through. This had been plenty of cooling capacity previously, and 3 years ago, we had no AC capability and didn't feel we needed it.
If your AC system is properly sized, and it's 118°F outside, it probably shouldn't be able to maintain 75°F inside, and the indoor temperature should be slightly rising at a 40F° outdoor to indoor differential temperature when it's operating continuously. A properly sized AC system should be designed to maintain a comfortable temperature, not to pull down the temperature quickly when it's 40F° hotter than your set point. If your system is oversized to the extent that it can pull down the temperature from 91°F to 75°F quickly when it's 118°F outside, it will suck at dehumidification.

There is nothing in this comment about climate change, only an optimistic hope that Tesla Energy can save failing grid infrastructure because the various state governments and utilities have repeatedly failed to do so.

I don't see any moderator action against the posters demanding individuals prove their solar/PW/EV ownership. I'll take that as approval.

There is nothing in this comment about climate change, only an optimistic hope that Tesla Energy can save failing grid infrastructure because the various state governments and utilities have repeatedly failed to do so.

I don't see any moderator action against the posters demanding individuals prove their solar/PW/EV ownership. I'll take that as approval.
I was not asking your setup to prove something before you can post.

My question was specific to what are you doing wrt climate change since you seemed to have questioned whether others here are denying change , i.e., do you have solar, PWs, and EV(s) as a means to impact climate change.

I haven’t read thread posts for a few days but wanted to check in on our more northern Calif members who originally posted as being near the Mosquito fire. Thankfully Fairview fire area got needed rain to help get it under control early on and hope this recent storm system is likewise helping you.

Hopefully all homes/systems are still online and getting you through these days and you didn’t have to evacuate. I know from having experienced 2020 fires nearby that solar production is greatly affected by wildfire smoke. Did you loose grid power, were your PWs able to recharge fully any day, what reserve did you set your system to, what were you able to keep on during this time, is your system insured, lessons learned so far? Until you are living through situations like this, I think many people not solar savvy may not have a real grasp on what to expect from their systems. I think the extended high overnight temps were an unexpected factor for us. Unfortunately it looks like we’ll be living with wildfires in much of our State going forward each year.

Last edited:
I haven’t read thread posts for a few days but wanted to check in on our more northern Calif members who originally posted as being near the Mosquito fire. Thankfully Fairview fire area got needed rain to help get it under control early on and hope this recent storm system is likewise helping you.

Hopefully all homes/systems are still online and getting you through these days and you didn’t have to evacuate. I know from having experienced 2020 fires nearby that solar production is greatly affected by wildfire smoke. Did you loose grid power, were your PWs able to recharge fully any day, what reserve did you set your system to, what were you able to keep on during this time, is your system insured, lessons learned so far? Until you are living through situations like this, I think many people not solar savvy may not have a real grasp on what to expect from their systems. I think the extended high overnight temps were an unexpected factor for us. Unfortunately it looks like we’ll be living with wildfires in much of our State going forward each year.
I'm not that close (~25 miles west), but the rains have helped immensely. Many people were evacuated from Foresthill and Georgetown area. I'm thinking they might be returning, but have not checked the news

• Love
Reactions: SMAlset and jboy210