Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not charging at 72 a from hpwc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yikes... I'm going on a trip soon and have a hotel booked with a destination charger as they are far from a supercharger i hope it charges at 72 or I will be pissed, I have no way to test I almost feel like I should call the support line to confirm!!
Go to the closest service center and hook it up to one of their 80 amp hpwcs. I'm sure they will be happy to help

• Helpful
Reactions: Tech_Guy
I too just picked up my car and when I charged my car at the mall using Tesla's charging station my display showed only 48amps even though Tesla's charger is higher.
From reading this thread I can't determine if the issue is hardware problem or a firmware issue

I too just picked up my car and when I charged my car at the mall using Tesla's charging station my display showed only 48amps even though Tesla's charger is higher.
From reading this thread I can't determine if the issue is hardware problem or a firmware issue
Spoke with service center today. They pulled logs from my car and it is only configured for 48 even though i paid for upgraded 72. Ranger will be sent out to "flip the switch"

Spoke with service center today. They pulled logs from my car and it is only configured for 48 even though i paid for upgraded 72. Ranger will be sent out to "flip the switch"
if its that easy for a Ranger to do it I guess that's good news. I guess that raises another set of questions:
  • Where is Tesla's quality control that they're allowing cars to leave the factory with the upgraded charger but incorrect settings on the car?
  • How come Tesla didn't communicate this issue to owners affected by this?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Mine is over getting replaced? The service manager was unclear what the process was going to be and I think he had to call the mothership. A few hours later I was told they needed to keep the car overnight so it's unclear exactly what is being done. But again my car is an early car and perhaps the early chargers were fixed.

I got my car back from the service center. Had to wait 2 hours which involved making a configuration change to recognize the 72a charger and then a full firmware update. My service invoice stated:
Concern: Customer states: purchased high amperage charging for his model S and vehicle does not want to charge more than 48 amps.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Onboard Charger General Diagnosis
Checked charging system and found that the vehicle required a configuration change and firmware update.
Corrections: Firmware Update - Repair
Performed firmware update after changing the charger configuration.​

if its that easy for a Ranger to do it I guess that's good news. I guess that raises another set of questions:
  • Where is Tesla's quality control that they're allowing cars to leave the factory with the upgraded charger but incorrect settings on the car?
  • How come Tesla didn't communicate this issue to owners affected by this?
It bothers me that the DS doesn't check these things when going over the car with you. Every upgrade should be verified during delivery. I am also kicking myself that I didn't notice, but I also had a lot to take in.

It bothers me that the DS doesn't check these things when going over the car with you. Every upgrade should be verified during delivery. I am also kicking myself that I didn't notice, but I also had a lot to take in.
It sounds like the upgrade was in the sales paperwork, and that your DS would have had to test the car itself to realize there was a problem. Not practical to have them test the whole vehicle...that's the factory's job.

I would expect the DS to catch a missing wheel option or a missing set of RFS seats, but not this.

yikes... I'm going on a trip soon and have a hotel booked with a destination charger as they are far from a supercharger i hope it charges at 72 or I will be pissed, I have no way to test I almost feel like I should call the support line to confirm!!

You can find many 80A HPWC in SoCal. Many of the Ayres Hotel destination chargers have at least 1 if not 2 at 80A. Additionally, West LA/Santa Monica location has an 80A in the alley.

• Helpful
It sounds like the upgrade was in the sales paperwork, and that your DS would have had to test the car itself to realize there was a problem. Not practical to have them test the whole vehicle...that's the factory's job.

I would expect the DS to catch a missing wheel option or a missing set of RFS seats, but not this.

But don't they just need to make sure the car shows over 48 amps when it's charging?

My 2014 car with the dual 40 amp chargers always has "80 amps" shaded out, unless I connect it to an 80 amp EVSE or HPWC, then the shaded out becomes active, and I can dial it down if I want. If I connect it to anything lower, then the shaded out 80 amps will disappear and whatever the maximum is for that EVSE will appear, and again I can dial that down if I want.

Are the new cars different? I doubt it since it makes no sense to change the way these settings work. So if someone here with a 72 amp new car can tell us if it's still done this way (i.e. see if 72 amps is shaded out when not charging) then it's easy to tell what your car will charge at just by looking at the shaded out amp number when not charging. If it's 72 you're good to go. There's no need to be driving around to 80 amp HPWC's.

this is more a quality control thing. I don't think the Tesla Delivery center would ever test such a thing, but it shouldn't come off the factory line without passing some sort of quality check. There is no reason why Model S's would be produced with a 72a charger, but the settings are at 48a. Something like this should not happen

I picked up my Model S on Saturday and I am also having this same issue. Made a call to support and they are supposed to have someone at service look at my car remotely. Hoping it can be taken care of remotely, but if I have to drive it over there, then that's ok with me ;)

All fixed! Got an email and call from SC. They said that they would be remotely sending a fix to my car which would take about 30 minutes. Received an email later asking me to check and make sure it took. It worked! Love this remote access!

My 2014 car with the dual 40 amp chargers always has "80 amps" shaded out...
Are the new cars different? So if someone here with a 72 amp new car can tell us if it's still done this way (i.e. see if 72 amps is shaded out when not charging) then it's easy to tell what your car will charge at just by looking at the shaded out amp number when not charging. If it's 72 you're good to go. There's no need to be driving around to 80 amp HPWC's.

Thanks for pointing that out, just went outside and confirmed my car lists Max: 48A on the charging screen when not connected!! Going to the Service Center first thing tomorrow to have this and a few other small items resolved!! I did email them about this last week and they told me they would check and get back to me but id suspect they have been swamped with delivery because they never got back to me, would have been nice if they had just pushed it to my car like they did for you LAN1017!!

48A charger.jpg