Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting any software updates??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a bit disappointed. The manual is for a 2021.40 version of the car and my 2021 Model Y is on 2021.36.5.5. So even the official manual is ahead of my car’s software.

I am in the same boat with a M3 LR. However, I purchased a used Tesla from a previous owner who purchased it new in August 2021 and sold it in November 2021 to a dealer. I then purchased it that same month.

What I am unclear about is wether this "newer cars" wait period includes used Tesla purchases. The reason for this confusion is that I took it into a repair center and the Tesla tech stated that I have the latest update because their system shows I obtained delivery of the car in November. They negated the fact that the car was technically out the factory since August (at a minimum). As if to suggest that the software update wait period for the VIN resets with every new owner.

I can't follow that logic as it seems more plausible that the car's firmware update roll out schedule would follow the car's starting point from the factory and not with each new owner.

I could understand if these staggered updates were done with beta releases, however, these updates are official and include critical bug fixes and major feature updates. 2021.36.5.5 is at least 14 versions behind the latest update and some users are even further behind. I would think Tesla has collected enough data and between this specific version range to give users the discretion to manually request a newer update.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Why is there even a waiting period? Sounds silly
There could be good reasons like safety, testing, etc. Not every car is 100% the exact same especially this year with component shortages. The big problem in my mind is the age old one with Tesla. They are not good at communicating rationales or status. When I'm sitting in my car and it is telling me it is the latest version when it clearly isn't is nothing but a recipe for frustration given the gap in communication.

I have had my car since new and still stuck on 2021.32.22 and have not had an update for over 2 months. I don't know what is going on.
I just got a MYP about 3 weeks ago, had Homelink installed this week and spoke with the mobile tech about the software updates. He said you’re typically stuck on factory software for about 30 days but they may not be pushing updates as fast right now with the amount of vehicles they’re trying to get out to finish the quarter. We should all be getting an update close to Christmas, but if not then he said to submit a ticket in the app. Not sure how accurate this all is, I know there are many theories out there with it ultimately coming down to “no one really knows any rhyme or reason to any of it.” But for now, if your car is running well and no issues then it seems ”just be patient” is where we’re at. Would definitely like more of the features offered but then again, this is really the only car manufacturer that updates software like this with new features and all… so any way you dice it, it’s unique.

Reactions: Baluchi
Keep in mind that 40.6 has a problem with the charge port closing too fast:

They may have halted updates because of it. It's supposedly resolved in 44.5, so I'd just sit back and relax until they push that out to everyone.

Pretty sure neither you nor Tesla want your vehicle serviced because of this.

Last edited:
I’m a bit disappointed. The manual is for a 2021.40 version of the car and my 2021 Model Y is on 2021.36.5.5. So even the official manual is ahead of my car’s software.

I am in the same boat with a M3 LR. However, I purchased a used Tesla from a previous owner who purchased it new in August 2021 and sold it in November 2021 to a dealer. I then purchased it that same month.

What I am unclear about is wether this "newer cars" wait period includes used Tesla purchases. The reason for this confusion is that I took it into a repair center and the Tesla tech stated that I have the latest update because their system shows I obtained delivery of the car in November. They negated the fact that the car was technically out the factory since August (at a minimum). As if to suggest that the software update wait period for the VIN resets with every new owner.

I can't follow that logic as it seems more plausible that the car's firmware update roll out schedule would follow the car's starting point from the factory and not with each new owner.

I could understand if these staggered updates were done with beta releases, however, these updates are official andinclude critical bug fixes and major feature updates. 2021.36.5.5 is at least 14 versions behind the latest update and some users are even further behind. I would think Tesla has collected enough data and between this specific version range to give users the discretion to manually request a newer update.

These delayed updates certainly do not sell the car's potential. Tesla can make the case that is staggered rollouts are driven by safety reasons, however, that would need to be backed up by data. So far, their software release data shows some vehicles have not been updated after several months and/or after multiple subsequent official version releases have rolled out.

Thus, if a user is stuck with a software version that is outdated by 15+ releases, I can't find a logical explanation as to why safety concerns is the primary reason for the hold up. I would infer that Tesla most likely accumulated enough user data to have moved forward with 15+ additional releases, over the course of a few months, since that time.

Reactions: Ramphex
Why is there even a waiting period? Sounds silly
My understanding is that Tesla delays updates after purchases in order to let the new owner get used to the car for a month or two before pulling the rug out from under them. Which totally makes sense to me--that first couple months is really when you're getting used to the car and learning its bells and whistles, so changing things during that process could end up frustrating new owners.

My understanding is that Tesla delays updates after purchases in order to let the new owner get used to the car for a month or two before pulling the rug out from under them. Which totally makes sense to me--that first couple months is really when you're getting used to the car and learning its bells and whistles, so changing things during that process could end up frustrating new owners.
My M3 LR has been on the road since August 20th, 2021. It's currently running 2021.36.5.5. That's 114 days as of this post. I recently enrolled in FSD beta last week with a safety score of 99 after 170 miles.

The current software is 2021.44.5. I still haven't received an update since the last and not have been enroled in FSD beta. The Tesla service center techs proclaim to have no more information about software update timing than any consumer.

I can't seem to track down any official public statement from a Tesla executive about this. If someone does have any documented statement directly from Tesla, please share it. Until then, it's safe to say that all of our understanding/feedback is pure conjecture.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezlowski
I put in my 3rd trouble ticket and got a software update. I initially got the same spiel about having the latest for my vehicle, until I made a sound argument as to why I would benefit from a more recent version. These manual newer software push overides are discretionary, but it is refreshing to know Tesla will consider this action under certain circumstances.

Reactions: Tezlowski
I often wonder what the point is of people declaring they are unhappy with their vehicle so they intend on upgrading to something that costs at least twice as much as their current vehicle.
Agree, I am planned after M3LR (CAD$86K) buy Model S Plaid(CAD$187K), but with this is kind bad quality Tesla cars I decided back with Mercedes EQS580(CAD$140K). For you may be important ,but for me price don't care ( not much affected me). I bought Tesla only for FSD and nothing more and since FSD fail in Canada I will be back to comfort.

I put in my 3rd trouble ticket and got a software update. I initially got the same spiel about having the latest for my vehicle, until I made a sound argument as to why I would benefit from a more recent version. These manual newer software push overides are discretionary, but it is refreshing to know Tesla will consider this action under certain circumstances.
I have my factory software for 68 days and during that period tried to buy AB( Acceleration Boost) just for 48h try. After push paid button my car was immediately shut down and message say:" You car not fit for this is upgrade, you car not drivable and immediately return back to previous upgrade or it will damage the car", " If you driving immediately stop and contact road assistant". So what I must to do after received this is messages? I am lucky I am stayed on my driveway. Yes I am following those directions and return back AB not even testing 48h. When I told technician about it he says "sorry" 🤣. Now I am lost interest to any upgrades and my experience wasn't like other people. What I want back to luxury and comfort and of course EV 👍 not ICE.

Installing updates is… optional. Plus if I’m toggling Advanced updates in the settings, I’m pretty sure I’m not the grandma who is trying to figure out how to use wipers after a month of owning the car 😅

• Funny
Reactions: RainbowStars