Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
speaking of the emmc the 3 updates mine has received in the past few days and the next one to allegedly fix the battery heater sure don’t help.
Well the reality is it is not the regular updates causing failures, that memory can handle many erase/write cycles, what it can't handle is Telsa using it to data log constantly and unnecessarily. One or two updates a month won't kill it, hammering data to it constantly will (is).

I would love for someone in a cold area to do a thorough test of the regen behavior.

Is Bjorn on this forum?

Oslo isn't that different winter temps than Chicago, there are a number of us in this thread already who live in colder places.

To those that disagree with this statement....go ahead and ask anyone who lives in Florida how there regen is lately......I will wait........

Is your argument that those of us observing the changes had radically warmer weather other years causing us to see different behavior this year based on weather?

I think the regen/temp curve was moved up a few degrees AND the pack is averaging colder due to the lack of preheating.
Haven't seen any temps this year I am not accustomed to. Have lived within 30miles or so of where I do now for a couple decades I am familiar with the weather, and being in my third winter and almost 30k on the Tesla. Behavior has changed.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Oslo isn't that different winter temps than Chicago, there are a number of us in this thread already who live in colder places.

Is your argument that those of us observing the changes had radically warmer weather other years causing us to see different behavior this year based on weather?

I think the regen/temp curve was moved up a few degrees AND the pack is averaging colder due to the lack of preheating.
Haven't seen any temps this year I am not accustomed to. Have lived within 30miles or so of where I do now for a couple decades I am familiar with the weather, and being in my third winter and almost 30k on the Tesla. Behavior has changed.
If you go back and read my original comment you will see that all I said was soc and temperature will effect the battery...or something to that effect and a couple people disagreed that soc and temperature will effect the regen level.

I think if you focus on the discussion everyone understands temp and Soc affect the battery.
Thing is it did in years past as well, that isn't new. Exact parameters seem to have changed and the pack heater is used less.leading to changes in the driving experience this winter vs. past.
I am well aware of how the regen worked in past winters and I realize something has changed with some recent updates but there were some people who responded on here that did not think SOC and temperature of the battery would matter or effect the regen which it does of course.

23 degrees F.

ok, I assumed making the comment you did you didn’t experience a temperature this low. I have definitely noticed differences in regen at that temperature with the latest few updates, but it is possible and has been reported that there are different battery parameters on different cars independent of firmware.

And people dont realize that it snows on the big island of hawaii.

probably big pieces of volcanic ash. ;)

So in the latest update it said there were enhanced battery diagnostics.
Maybe we can try to be optimistic and this is part of evaluating the fleet and restoring pack voltage and charge rate.

What if they saw something that scared them.enough to restrict a large portion of the fleet till they had better remote diagnostics? Let the computers aggregate data on the whole fleet and then they can select the cars they feel have a fault deal with those and give the rest of us back what we had.

I have no knowledge but the timing of that note being in an update is interesting, or maybe it is just to get folks to stop scheduling SC visits by telling them they can take a closer look at the pack remotely than they used to be able to.

Reactions: dark cloud
I have have just updated to 2019.40.x and it is very clear Tesla has changed the regen limit at cold temperatures.
I'll do more data logging tomorrow to do a proper side by side table, but from the small sample I was able to get right after the software update, I could already see a big difference.

I assume you weren’t on a . 36 version preceding this then, many are claiming that was the update that contained the regen change. Yet someone else insists it was in the notorious.16 capping update and no one noticed until the weather turned to late fall.

Time will tell if the behaviour of this is here to stay, or if Tesla just has a stockpile of pads and rotors they would like to unload over the next few months.

Data: 500 miles on a Raven S. Software 40.2.1. Garage temps between 50-55F, car sat overnight, regen takes somewhere between 20-40 miles to become fully available at about 80% starting SoC.

on my 2014 S, only when the battery was much closer to 100% or the temps were substantially lower (car outside at or near freezing) did I ever see limited regen. Not sure if the software is related as I don’t remember what code was on the older one.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
I love when people assume the entirety of Arizona is a baking desert.
Off topic a bit but I was in the US years ago for business and I had a day to kill in Phoenix. So I booked a Grand Canyon tour, I was in shorts and t-shirt when I left on the tour because the weather was warm and sunny in Phoenix...nobody mentioned the snow in the Grand Canyon :(, typical tourist :)

Data: 500 miles on a Raven S. Software 40.2.1. Garage temps between 50-55F, car sat overnight, regen takes somewhere between 20-40 miles to become fully available at about 80% starting SoC.

on my 2014 S, only when the battery was much closer to 100% or the temps were substantially lower (car outside at or near freezing) did I ever see limited regen. Not sure if the software is related as I don’t remember what code was on the older one.

It is this sort of detailed that make me think they were pushing the batteries too far all these years.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
OK here is the result of my testing before updating my car to 2019.40.x and after. Tesla significantly reduced the available regen power when the battery is cold. The blue line is the new behavior. You can see how much warmer the battery has to be to get the same regen as before,

The data is collected from the CAN bus data which is the car's internal data bus. I made a simple graph showing the difference. I'm honestly surprised why after so many years they decided to change it.

Regen limit vs cell temperature (old vs new)(1).png