Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, can anyone confirm better regen and overall consumption if above version 40.2.1 on MCU1 car? I have now seen several different situations and still see limited regen regardless if charged prior my drive or just turning climate control on for hoping any battery heating. My drives are short, I can’t get more than half and hour trip and this does not remove limitation on car. If I plug in for 30-40min before leaving home then there is only 4-5 yellow dashes still visible. If doing 40min warming-up via app in mornings this has no result at all. First gain is seen after about 17min. drive. If returning home after my work I usually use UMC to prepare for drive but regardless of charging time I still see 4-5 yellow dashed lines. Additionally I haven’t understand the logic behind Tesla’s new “Depart at” function, I have lost my confidence with that. Car is 2016 70D, ambient temp. have been above or at zero degrees. I charge to 90% of SOC.
@nem3 what is the gadget that gives your excellent readings on your phone...

Hey, sorry, been busy on other things. So couple of things since I posted. First, I can confirm the same thing you're seeing. From what I can tell, the pack heater is used VERY sparingly, and I don't yet have in place a way to see when it's active or not. Just going from what I can see from current draw from the app, it's almost never active. I've made multiple 30+ mile trips on the highway at ~70mph. This barely moves the needle at all. Driving from my home to the closest Tesla service station 29.9 miles away warmed the pack from 5.4C to 19C. One of the things I had asked them to look at was my excessive usage. My average driving to them was 566 Wh/mi. Starting SOC was 84%, arrival SOC was 61% There answer - everything is within spec. Apparently only getting 100 miles per charge IS acceptable. The best part was their parting advice - "You should use the preheat function" :confused: Before I left it was plugged in and on preheat for 20 min, didn't budge the battery temp. FWIW, the S85 loaner did 350 Wh/mi on the same trip in reverse, and it was parked outside. Didn't want to open up a loaner, so no CANbus information from that trip.

In regards to a fix, I've been using Ludicrous + mode when I have the time to plan ahead. If that's not an option, I agree with others that have said try doing a couple hard launches. You're still going to lose range from the heaters, but I think overall drive efficiency will be better.

For easier reference, here's the regen profile on 2019.40.2
0C - 0 regen
5C - 10%
10C - 20%
15C - 30%
20C - 50%
25C - 100%.

To answer your last question. It's my own, finally live. Check out the thread

Here's a drive from last night in the lovely snow Chicagoland received. Start SOC was 89%. Yep, each mile cost me almost 1%
IMG_2839.jpeg

In my experience I have noticed that if I plug in before departure, using function “Start charging at” on UMC (interesting that on my home HPWC it starts charging immediately without any additional setup) that my consumption if only moderately high - about 20%. But with the climate turned on hoping for battery warming it’s very high - app. 50-60%, so pretty much useless. And I have not yet seen any wither yet...
Another concern is what will this very shortly used charging doing with the battery charging cycles?

I have found my battery heater shuts off once the lowest temperature reported by TM-Spy is 50F/10C.
When sitting at a red light without the heat on, there was an 11 to 12 amp draw on the pack which dropped to about 1 amp once the battery exceeded that temp.

So I own both an S and 3 and my S starts with limited regen and goes away after twenty minutes of driving, which is useless because I use less than that driving to work. However, my 3 doesn't start the day with limited regen at all. Wonder if it's the battery chemistry.

Ambient temp is about 18 C // 65 F. Both cars garaged next to each other.
after I updated to 50.7, I did notice substantial differences.....first, the Regen, was noticeably less.....but the funny thing is, when I first get in car and drive it seems like it did before the update.......1-pedal braking seemed to be reduced......and it seemed that the longer I drive, the Regen became less effective with lots more room out before stopping causing me to apple brakes.....

I also notice that when driving with NOA, while on freeway, as I approach the merging traffic lane, the car seems to search for center of the lane.....it ping pongs again and as the lane narrows, it seems too center out again.....this was fixed in the earlier release

Model 3 and MS AP1 regen behavior is WAY different.
Model 3 behaves as S used to do in old days. Also it would heat a battery when you precondition, unlike older S.
There is only one way how to get some regen. Start charging some 30 minutes before departure. With the cold pack it will first heat up the battery and you get about 50% regen.
I've tried that it didn't make any difference whatsoever. This 35 - 40% range loss (and no regen for the first 40 mins of mixed city and highway driving) with the recent temps going below -10 C (14 Fahrenheit) is surprising and disappointing.

It effectively means that if I go on a trip, I would only be able to drive about 124 miles (rated range is 243 miles at 100% charge) with about 10% left before I would need to find a Supercharger.

So far what I have noticed (after upgrade) is that with cabin preheat app. an hour before your drive you get better regen gaining on the very first length of driving (~5km). This will be seen as small green generating power meter which will gradually grow to app. half on the scale (and it feels as well). I still need to drive more than 50min to get back full regen. Surprisingly low voltage charging (UMC) is not helping as well, regardless of the time charging you do not get full regen at start. But it’s better than just with the cabin heating. Should say that ambient temp. has still been above zero. And still needs long drive to get regen fully back.
Another interesting thing I now have is after each charging the car still runs some pumps on battery for app. 3hours. It’i sound as if cooling/warming pump is engaged and you hear high pinch sound both inside and out. I believe it’s running as some settings is keeping it until the required (changed) level is reached. Been contact with roadside assistant which can’t see any alerts on the system but how to report it to support?
Previous version was 2019.40.2.1 xxx and new one is 2019.40.2.3 xxx. One thing thought, this upgrade have reduced overall consumption to I assume normal level considering the time of year.

^^Agree... Plus if you have to charge, why not do it just before a drive?

The bat as well as Regen is more efficient at temps over 25 deg C, but likes to be kept cooler for storage.

@KalJo, what temps are you seeing during your observations?

Model 3 and MS AP1 regen behavior is WAY different.
Model 3 behaves as S used to do in old days. Also it would heat a battery when you precondition, unlike older S.
There is only one way how to get some regen. Start charging some 30 minutes before departure. With the cold pack it will first heat up the battery and you get about 50% regen.
it really confusing to me but I get regen in the morning right out of my garage for about ¼ mile.....then it goes away for about 25 min of driving but never reaches the initial regen level before the stupid update to 40.50.7

Unfortunately I have no apps to get any data, only my Tesla app. I just wanted to test as prior my last update I have seen this battery warming icon and you never know where you might end up, so you know your odds. So can’t help. This pump engagement is also there after fast charging (we don’t have yet Tesla SC here).