Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure I'm enjoying my MY after 8 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safety features are rubbish! So far it grabbed my steering wheel 3 times for no reason after getting confused with something. I have lane departure auto pilot turned off. It accelerated me into the oncoming traffic while I was sitting stationary at the roundabout. Presumably because a car behind me pulled up too quickly but still well within breaking distance. I did however have a close call once when somebody tried merging into my lane without looking and I had to react in order to avoid a crash. Tesla did nothing. Not even a warning. It also happily lets me revers into things. Tested with cardboard and wheely bins. New park assist is very inaccurate is more of an annoyance.

Then there are constant bugs and random annoying issues. Wipers, refusal to unlock using phone until I open it with a card, close it with a card and use my phone again, random errors that come and go, it was blinding drivers initially until I lowered the headlights slightly, headlights turn on while in slight shade during a sunny day. Headlights don't turn on during hail with almost no visibility.

For some weird reason my insurance is still double the price compared to even more expensive and faster EVs. I tried every insurance provider and comparison site I could.

To my knowledge park assist has never actually stopped you from hitting stuff. I'm not sure I've seen ultrasonics actually doing that on other cars either, it usually just emits a solid beep with you're at or below a certain range. I've driven right up to stuff when it's said "STOP" on the screen (I have ultrasonics), got out and I've been ~1 inch or so away.

Tesla Vision Park Assist is crap, but at this point anyone pressing ahead buying these cars without ultrasonics has to share some of the blame - I think. At the very least people should be asking about it before taking delivery, etc.

Headlights are definitely quite sensitive and will come on with tree coverage in my experience. I don't personally have a massive problem with this because more visibility = good. I haven't experienced them not coming on at dusk/dark.. not sure how headlights would help during hail?

You probably have legitimate gripes, I'm not going to suggest your feelings aren't valid. All i would say is that you either have to accept Tesla for the package as it is, with its quirks etc, or look elsewhere. Nothing you've said sounds broken (as in defective parts) or fixable.

Strange. I have also had a Model Y for 8 months & 5000 miles and apart from ongoing and random issues with Tesla windscreen wipers it has been completely trouble free.

Basic Autopilot works well, it has never given any cause for alarm and I've realised that I never really used (trusted?) USS on the Model 3 and it's the same with the Y without them. I have had no problems whatsoever with parking and I actually prefer the Y over my previous car for many different reasons.

Reactions: Jason71 and boombap
Strange. I have also had a Model Y for 8 months & 5000 miles and apart from ongoing and random issues with Tesla windscreen wipers it has been completely trouble free.

Basic Autopilot works well, it has never given any cause for alarm and I've realised that I never really used (trusted?) USS on the Model 3 and it's the same with the Y without them. I have had no problems whatsoever with parking and I actually prefer the Y over my previous car for many different reasons.
Maybe mine just needs a reboot.

I'm 7 months in and 8500 miles and so far my Model Y has been the worse car i've ever owned. I've had 8 service visits in that time and still have multiple issues. i've just completed 3000 miles to italy and back and the charge network was truly amazing, however the journey itself was made massively stressful by the cars constant attempts to kill me.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Your comment about the roundabout is interesting. I guess you are coming from an ice car which you have to use the brakes to stop! What you experienced is cruse control memory. Most ice cars drop cc below 20mph. I get it a lot. This is what happens. Say you are have cc on at 30mph. The car in front slows down for roundabout or parked cars and your car matches speed. You don't touch brakes because everything looks ok. Car in front slows to maybe 5mph but does not stop because they see a space. Your car dutifully follows because cc is still set to 30mph and .…you're off!

You will get used to it.

If you want a real "my car is trying to kill me". I have a slip road onto a 70mph A Road from a 30 limit. If i have Cruise Control 'on' in the 30 limit the instant i get to the 'national speed limit' sign and merge the car speeds up to 70mph. Before anyone asks the cc has not previously been set at 70 for several journeys. I understand the max speed can go up and down but it never normally go higher than the speed it was initially set at.

Safety features are rubbish! So far it grabbed my steering wheel 3 times for no reason after getting confused with something. I have lane departure auto pilot turned off. It accelerated me into the oncoming traffic while I was sitting stationary at the roundabout. Presumably because a car behind me pulled up too quickly but still well within breaking distance. I did however have a close call once when somebody tried merging into my lane without looking and I had to react in order to avoid a crash. Tesla did nothing. Not even a warning. It also happily lets me revers into things. Tested with cardboard and wheely bins. New park assist is very inaccurate is more of an annoyance.

Then there are constant bugs and random annoying issues. Wipers, refusal to unlock using phone until I open it with a card, close it with a card and use my phone again, random errors that come and go, it was blinding drivers initially until I lowered the headlights slightly, headlights turn on while in slight shade during a sunny day. Headlights don't turn on during hail with almost no visibility.

For some weird reason my insurance is still double the price compared to even more expensive and faster EVs. I tried every insurance provider and comparison site I could.
Insurance on Y/3 is expensive for some people, double other cars including faster EVs as you also mention.

I found the steering correction and lane departure to be most useless, coming on when not required. The major annoyance is the standard cruise control or AP braking far more than any non Tesla with TACC to the point I stopped using it outside of motorways.

Your comment about the roundabout is interesting. I guess you are coming from an ice car which you have to use the brakes to stop! What you experienced is cruse control memory. Most ice cars drop cc below 20mph. I get it a lot. This is what happens. Say you are have cc on at 30mph. The car in front slows down for roundabout or parked cars and your car matches speed. You don't touch brakes because everything looks ok. Car in front slows to maybe 5mph but does not stop because they see a space. Your car dutifully follows because cc is still set to 30mph and .…you're off!

You will get used to it.

Have I missed something? People are using cruise control/AP at round abouts??!! Is thus why Y/3 insurance costs are so high :).

If you want a real "my car is trying to kill me". I have a slip road onto a 70mph A Road from a 30 limit. If i have Cruise Control 'on' in the 30 limit the instant i get to the 'national speed limit' sign and merge the car speeds up to 70mph. Before anyone asks the cc has not previously been set at 70 for several journeys. I understand the max speed can go up and down but it never normally go higher than the speed it was initially set at.
You can change that in the settings, it must be set to go to the speed limit rather than what you choose.

Reactions: tdjohn
I have done just over 35k miles in my model Y in 11 months, including a Trip to northern Italy and back and I love it. Yes the auto wipers are rubbish and some of the safety features can be annoying but I have learned to adjust to it and predict what it will do.
The car has been totally reliable, fun to drive once I got the geo sorted by Tesla, and I am a big fan of the tech.

The german Autobahn is full of random markings on the road, either where tarmac has been re-laid, or roadworks have been moved. The car would keep seeing these as corners so suddenly drop the speed down to 40 or 50kph from what ever I had it set at (this was in addition to just random phantom braking). It's the only car where i had to cover the accelerator when on cruise and not the brake. Add in manually adjusting the wipers in torrential rain as they never did what they should and having to switch the lights on as they don't come on with wipers and it became truly dangerous. I've done the same journey over 25 times (each way) and this was by far the most stressful. Although as I said the charge element was amazingly easy, and I suspect would have driven me crazy if I couldn't use the super charger network (certainly based on my experience once in Italy)

The german Autobahn is full of random markings on the road, either where tarmac has been re-laid, or roadworks have been moved. The car would keep seeing these as corners so suddenly drop the speed down to 40 or 50kph from what ever I had it set at (this was in addition to just random phantom braking). It's the only car where i had to cover the accelerator when on cruise and not the brake. Add in manually adjusting the wipers in torrential rain as they never did what they should and having to switch the lights on as they don't come on with wipers and it became truly dangerous. I've done the same journey over 25 times (each way) and this was by far the most stressful. Although as I said the charge element was amazingly easy, and I suspect would have driven me crazy if I couldn't use the super charger network (certainly based on my experience once in Italy)
I also had problems on the German Autobahns where they had laid new tarmac and not painted in the white lines between the lanes but I did not have any other serious issues and I just kept an eye out for the dodgy bits, overall my Autopilot experience has been pretty good.

I am only 9days into my ownership of my MYP however it does offer some significant benefits in terms of usability over our previous M3P. The usable space is much better and despite concerns over the ride I think it’s better than the previous M3 but it doesnt corner as well which is to be expected.

I have almost all of the safety features minimised to the most simple of warnings, I have TACC set to manual speed setting and find it works really well, the A90 from Aberdeen to Dundee is a worst case scenario for any adaptive cruise control being a 70mph road with normal road junctions, slip roads and even private driveways joining straight onto the road. The performance of TACC on the Y has been massively better than our previous 3 for phantom braking etc.

I came back to Tesla understanding the pitfalls, I can understand exactly where the OP is coming from with these issues, the comments all relate to genuine Tesla issues. The situation can be made better with different choices in the menus to minimise the level of autonomy but most issues are going to remain to some extent.

We enjoy the interior simplicity and the overall UI so the Y is working well for us with the extra practicality, quieter interior and smoother ride.

Reactions: GSP and Spacemanwho

You will get used to it.
I don't think he was using CC or Autopilot. From what I understand, he was stationery at a roundabout and the car lunged forward because it was avoiding what it thought could be a rear collision. That's how I read it anyway.

I have done just over 35k miles in my model Y in 11 months, including a Trip to northern Italy and back and I love it. Yes the auto wipers are rubbish and some of the safety features can be annoying but I have learned to adjust to it and predict what it will do.
The car has been totally reliable, fun to drive once I got the geo sorted by Tesla, and I am a big fan of the tech.
Jumping on the most positive post
we are 9 months and 7500 miles with our 2023 MYP and 7 months with the M3
Our experience, using checks where perfect:

Tesla Ecosystem☑️☑️☑️
Research, demo, Trade in and Purchase ☑️☑️
Local Tesla Management and Staff ☑️☑️
Quality ☑️
Style ☑️
Interior Comfort ☑️
Infotainment ☑️
Paint ☑️
Ride comfort ☑️