Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure I'm enjoying my MY after 8 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla are the first manufacturer out of about 15 i've dealt with who have stated "all cars fall apart once used" as an excuse for poor build quality.
@FEERSUMENDJIN Did you mean to disagree with my comment? Its a fact as in I've had cars from 15 different manufacturers and Tesla is the first one to say that to me, so it's not something you can disagree with.

I know that is what I'm worried about. I will obviously test drive one if this happens in the UK, but currently, at the rate Tesla are going, I will not be buying another Tesla if this happens. I'll just keep what I have since it has USS, stalks etc. No Stalks is a step too far for UK/EU driving
Test drive one without stalks
I just did, a MS
No big deal at all and was surprised

peoples perspective on what is "good" or "bad" is very subjective sometimes and often based on situations and previous car, i.e what cars you've come from in the past.

i.e people raving that teslas are amazing, are clearly blinkered, as with any car its a compromise, but generally i think the problem is not the car itself its how the company is run as a whole and how it delegates its resources to fixing/making a problem

A tesla in my view is the carbon copy of apple and its iphone.

Teslas mindset, thats the car, take it or leave it we dont care, the next punter will buy it, their that confident, untill sales drop they just arent prepared to waste resources on legancy issues. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly dillusional.
So anybody who doesn't agree with you is blinkered or delusional.
Teslas are not perfect, no cars are, and there are issues with how some things are done but after more than 35k miles in 11 months, I am extremely happy with my Model Y, as for previous cars, I have had loads of different cars over the last 40 years ranging from a Maserati GranTurismo S to a proper Mini.

Test drive one without stalks
I just did, a MS
No big deal at all and was surprised
I definitely will, but with you being in the USA, I'm guessing you don't come across a roundabout every half a mile? In UK, most people indicate to come off and that's too hard while your steering while is upside and you try and fiddle for a button. In Europe its actually a legal requirement to indicate when coming off a roundabout.

I just can't see it working but will definitely give it a try.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I definitely will, but with you being in the USA, I'm guessing you don't come across a roundabout every half a mile? In UK, most people indicate to come off and that's too hard while your steering while is upside and you try and fiddle for a button. In Europe its actually a legal requirement to indicate when coming off a roundabout.

We do have roundabouts, I have two within 50 miles and therefore nothing like you experienced
Btw, FSDb stopped before entering an empty roundabout/:(
Agree, putting on the turn signal while turing the steering wheel, not fun/not safe

We do have roundabouts, I have two within 50 miles and therefore nothing like you experienced
In fact, Carmel, Indiana, has the most roundabouts per junction of any city in the world, according to some obscure site I was just browsing:

1692894572548.png

In terms of total numbers, ~9,000 in the US vs ~25,000 in the UK. Or one per every 329 square miles in the US vs one per every 3.74 square miles in the UK.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Overworked
In fact, Carmel, Indiana, has the most roundabouts per junction of any city in the world, according to some obscure site I was just browsing:

View attachment 967871

In terms of total numbers, ~9,000 in the US vs ~25,000 in the UK. Or one per every 329 square miles in the US vs one per every 3.74 square miles in the UK.
Ok, assuming you live there
How has FSDb done in those RAs?

I'd bet money (charity of choice) that Highland is going to come without stalks, and will replicate what the new S/X does with onscreen gear changes and haptic buttons on steering wheel for indicators.

Don't think it'll come with a yoke, unless there ends up being an instrument cluster binnacle ala S/X (which would be good, I think).

@FEERSUMENDJIN Did you mean to disagree with my comment? Its a fact as in I've had cars from 15 different manufacturers and Tesla is the first one to say that to me, so it's not something you can disagree with.
For reasons I'll never understand people get really partisan about giant corporate entities that don't care about them at all personally beyond the fact that they continue to buy their products. Saying that someone told you something negative about Tesla is akin to insulting their family.

If you felt that strongly about USS you shouldn't have accepted the car. Same goes for anyone else complaining about this in the same context as these price drops.

Tesla not supplying USS or a working alternative is crap, but I've got little sympathy for people who take delivery of the cars anyway. It's either a deal breaker or it isn't.

As a general rule of thumb handing over your money for something and relying on future promises, after you've paid and taken delivery, is a bad move, especially with Tesla/Musk who make grand promises that either never happen or take years. It would be like buying a Tesla because you strongly believe they'll add Apple CarPlay at some point, "because surely they will".

Buy or don't buy based on what is being delivered at the time, anything else that comes later is then a bonus.

So anybody who doesn't agree with you is blinkered or delusional.
Teslas are not perfect, no cars are, and there are issues with how some things are done but after more than 35k miles in 11 months, I am extremely happy with my Model Y, as for previous cars, I have had loads of different cars over the last 40 years ranging from a Maserati GranTurismo S to a proper Mini.
Not exactly what I said though is it. I didn’t say Tesla were good or bad, I don’t think they are bad cars at all , they’re far worse cars out there. It’s a good car, and meets my needs, but it’s certainly not amazing.

Nothing about it is stand out amazing, it does most things pretty well, others not so well, as I said it’s a compromise.

Maybe I’ve been lucky as had some real corkers of ice cars that I’ve had the last 3-4 years

The thread title is misleading. You are definitely unhappy. However, try driving without FSD, Autopilot and park assist. I get that you paid for those things but they are not up to standards. Are you researching other vehicles. I wonder which one would suit your needs most. In a year, when it's time to turn in the Tesla, I wonder what that state of things will be. Maybe worse, maybe better.

Safety features are rubbish! So far it grabbed my steering wheel 3 times for no reason after getting confused with something. I have lane departure auto pilot turned off. It accelerated me into the oncoming traffic while I was sitting stationary at the roundabout. Presumably because a car behind me pulled up too quickly but still well within breaking distance. I did however have a close call once when somebody tried merging into my lane without looking and I had to react in order to avoid a crash. Tesla did nothing. Not even a warning. It also happily lets me revers into things. Tested with cardboard and wheely bins. New park assist is very inaccurate is more of an annoyance.

Then there are constant bugs and random annoying issues. Wipers, refusal to unlock using phone until I open it with a card, close it with a card and use my phone again, random errors that come and go, it was blinding drivers initially until I lowered the headlights slightly, headlights turn on while in slight shade during a sunny day. Headlights don't turn on during hail with almost no visibility.

For some weird reason my insurance is still double the price compared to even more expensive and faster EVs. I tried every insurance provider and comparison site I could.
My 2014 Ford’s park warnings are much more reliable than the ones on the Tesla. And yes, self driving is a crap shoot, we hardly ever use it now. However, we still love the car and wouldn’t trade it for anything else on the market right now.

Reactions: Leejmoff
I would suggest that some pratt who happens to work for Tesla made that stupid statement. To suggest that that is the view of the company is more than a stretch!

I don't think he was using CC or Autopilot. From what I understand, he was stationery at a roundabout and the car lunged forward because it was avoiding what it thought could be a rear collision. That's how I read it anyway.
No it/he didn't believe me. It was cc. It is made worse when you start using accelerator pedal when slowing down it lets you control the speed of car for a bit then takes over. Usually at roundabout. I am sure its not just me.

I found that it brakes in different locations at that junction. Northbound it brakes at the North end of the Junction and at the South end when Southbound.
I did pass this onto Tesla via the email address @MrBadger provided in the other thread, but not sure if that is US only. Not been up for a while to see if anything has changed.
My experience exactly. I live near Brechin and can repeat it weekly! I have a 2021 MIC M3LR

For reference of our USA readers who may not realise the prevalence of them over here, the road I live on is two miles long and has a roundabout at each end and one in the middle and a mini-roundabout one quarter of the way on it.

We have more and more roundabouts here in upstate, NY, especially in the last few years.

Regarding driving conditions in my Tesla, I am reluctant to use cc on any road other than a highway. I have experienced phantom braking on numerous occasions, including on the highway as I once approached an overpass. It is a scary moment.

That being said, I have adapted to the point where I feel safe in operating the vehicle. But I have advised my wife to not use cc/AP when she is driving the car. As a poster stated above, I’ve learned to hover my foot over the accelerator pedal and to anticipate if the car may react unexpectedly.

I think once one is accustomed to the car it‘s a great driving experience, but for drivers who are new to it, yeah, be careful.