Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure I'm enjoying my MY after 8 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car in in the intermediate stage between full manual driving and full self driving. What you are experiencing is part and parcel of that.
I disagree. I had none of these issues with my previous xc60 or superb, both with acc. Equally when I test drove the model y tesla were keen to tell me about the acc and auto wipers etc. Only once I complained they didn't work did they inform me they were beta.

Last edited:
Your car in in the intermediate stage between full manual driving and full self driving. What you are experiencing is part and parcel of that.
This is just the coping mechanism that fanbois use to justify the really crappy aspects of their cars (that will never actually be fully self driving). Sorry, not a valid excuse.

From what I understand, he was stationery at a roundabout and the car lunged forward because it was avoiding what it thought could be a rear collision. That's how I read it anyway.
Does it have that capability? I saw a few videos on YouTube of a Tesla lurching forward to avoid a rear ending and thought how great that was. But looking in to it a bit more, the general consensus appears to be that it wasn’t the car but was actually the drivers being very aware of what was coming and using the acceleration to avoid being hit.

Can confirm everything experienced by OP. I have some help with some aspects, but not all:

The lights pointing up has become very common for me, I think it coincides with software updates. Go into the service (IIRC) menu and select to adjust the lights / recalibrate. You don't need to adjust the car will move the lights up and down and then they'll settle pretty low down. I've been to the service centre multiple times, this problem won't go away despite them saying it will. I've noticed most cars that absolutely blind me at dusk with lights clearly on dip are Teslas, so it's very much not isolated to a few cars. When you're driving if the signs start lighting up excessively that's when you know the lights need adjusting again.

For the 'safety' features that only ever go off when there's no problem and never engage when there is a problem... Go into the Autopilot and safety menus and turn everything off or to 'late' that you can. Some stuff resets automatically on a drive like front collision warning. For those set 'late' where possible, that setting won't revert. It won't stop it all, but it tones it down enough that you won't be tempted to rebel against the millionth alert and just drive into a wall.

Your car has no parking sensors, so it'll never do good distance estimates. They'll improve it, but it'll be like the wipers - near impossible to make as good as real sensors. Until it's actually 'good' which might be never, just turn off the sounds. They're a distraction rather than a help. You'll need to park mostly old school, but at least the rear camera has a brilliant view when it's not dirty.

For the enforced auto high beam, you can push the left stick forward to turn it off. However, every time you re-engage AP they'll come back on and you'll need to push the stick again. The S3XY buttons (aftermarket) can do a permanent disable. This is aftermarket though, so I don't know if Tesla would refuse a warranty repair relating to anything connected to the CANBUS network. It also disables something Tesla deems 'safety critical' (lolz) so if you got into a big accident I don't know if the insurers would consider you partially at fault for disabling a safety critical feature that would have auto braked for you (it wouldn't anyway).

Auto wipers are extremely sensitive to how clear the windscreen is. I've found after cleaning the car very regularly that I don't get many dry wipes. It can still happen, but it's pretty rare. Don't just clean the front camera, clean all the cameras since the algorithm uses them all.

That's about it for dialling down the annoyances. Everything else you just have to ride out until you replace the car.

• Informative
Reactions: smogne41
.....OK, that is one side of the equation.

Presumably, to back up this assertion, you also have similar, extensive experience for each and every other vehicle manufacturer?!
Best to worst

<1 year Tesla amazing
30 years Toyota no touchpoints/relationship follow up after, no ecosystem, solidly engineered and reliable vehicles, if they would have done EVs I would have considered them a year ago vs Tesla
5 years Jeep high maintenance, good touch points after, Jeep nation/wave amazing
7 years Honda not terrible but not a fan, delicate vehicles
8 years Ford terrible vehicles and experience

Does it have that capability? I saw a few videos on YouTube of a Tesla lurching forward to avoid a rear ending and thought how great that was. But looking in to it a bit more, the general consensus appears to be that it wasn’t the car but was actually the drivers being very aware of what was coming and using the acceleration to avoid being hit.
I’m not sure I’ve seen any literature to suggest Tesla have programmed the car to essentially deploy ‘unwanted acceleration’ in any setting. There have been numerous reports of ‘unwanted acceleration’ events that lead to accidents - 100% of them have been found to be caused by the driver pressing o the accelerator instead of the brake.

Best to worst

<1 year Tesla amazing
30 years Toyota no touchpoints/relationship follow up after, no ecosystem, solidly engineered and reliable vehicles, if they would have done EVs I would have considered them a year ago vs Tesla
5 years Jeep high maintenance, good touch points after, Jeep nation/wave amazing
So 4 other vehicle manufacturers....hardly comprehensive!

By way of comparison, I have had direct experience of 6 vehicle manufacturers, so again, far from the full set.

To be fair to Tesla, they have achieved a number of notable firsts for me though.

They delivered a brand new vehicle to me with accident damage.

They delivered a vehicle to me with a fundamentally different specification to the one they demo'd to me immediately before I placed my order and didn't have the common decency to even mention this too me before, during or after delivery.

Customer Services have been repeatedly evasive, condescending, and have, on occasion lied to me.

The paint fell off my 3 month old vehicle (though not all of it).

Recently they made me laugh out loud (by telling me that, in their opinion, Vision based Park Assist has achieved performance parity with the USS based systems).

Oh, and my 22 year old Honda (Acura in your world) has shown few signs of fragility and, unlike my Tesla, is worth significantly more now than I paid for it, whilst both Honda UK and my local service department are never anything less than a pleasure to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdjohn and Leejmoff
Best to worst

<1 year Tesla amazing
I like this breakdown:

2.5 years Tesla - no problems apart from puncture. Service I can't comment on, but the car is fantastic. Not buying newer models because of no USS and other features they are taking out. Love my M3 2021 model though.
3 years Skoda - well made cars, great service, probably better than Tesla overall, just expensive to run (petrol, services etc)
8 years Nissan - cars reliable, cheap to run. Service centre crap, tried to rinse me on something they caused. That was the end of my relationship with them.
3 years Mini (BMW) - car was fantastic to drive. Had constant problems with it, BMW tried to rinse me constantly saying warranty didn't cover this/that. Put me off so much I sold the car, even though it was and still is my favourite to drive. Wouldn't buy BMW again.
4 years Ford - wouldn't touch one of their cars again. Unreliable, constant problems with both cars I had. Most reliable was a 25 year old Fiesta Mk1 that I had.

So yeah, my favourite car to drive was the Mini and Tesla. Both amazing cars, but BMW service is a joke, along with Tesla (from what I read/hear). Thankfully the M3 doesn't need to go in for services and is very reliable. So would I buy Tesla again? I would, but not with the current features that the newer models have got. I'll wait until they sort out Park Assist and Wipers/indicators etc.

I like this breakdown:

2.5 years Tesla - no problems apart from puncture. Service I can't comment on, but the car is fantastic. Not buying newer models because of no USS and other features they are taking out. Love my M3 2021 model though.
3 years Skoda - well made cars, great service, probably better than Tesla overall, just expensive to run (petrol, services etc)
8 years Nissan - cars reliable, cheap to run. Service centre crap, tried to rinse me on something they caused. That was the end of my relationship with them.
3 years Mini (BMW) - car was fantastic to drive. Had constant problems with it, BMW tried to rinse me constantly saying warranty didn't cover this/that. Put me off so much I sold the car, even though it was and still is my favourite to drive. Wouldn't buy BMW again.
4 years Ford - wouldn't touch one of their cars again. Unreliable, constant problems with both cars I had. Most reliable was a 25 year old Fiesta Mk1 that I had.

So yeah, my favourite car to drive was the Mini and Tesla. Both amazing cars, but BMW service is a joke, along with Tesla (from what I read/hear). Thankfully the M3 doesn't need to go in for services and is very reliable. So would I buy Tesla again? I would, but not with the current features that the newer models have got. I'll wait until they sort out Park Assist and Wipers/indicators etc.
By the time they fix those you might be looking at one without an indicator stalk.

By the time they fix those you might be looking at one without an indicator stalk.
I know that is what I'm worried about. I will obviously test drive one if this happens in the UK, but currently, at the rate Tesla are going, I will not be buying another Tesla if this happens. I'll just keep what I have since it has USS, stalks etc. No Stalks is a step too far for UK/EU driving

I wonder how much of this is model specific or just how things are these days? My wife loved her polo but was very frustrated at how often it'd beep at her to warn of obstacles etc that she'd seen and was dealing with - eg parked cars you're driving towards just like Tesla often does.

I wonder how much of this is model specific or just how things are these days? My wife loved her polo but was very frustrated at how often it'd beep at her to warn of obstacles etc that she'd seen and was dealing with - eg parked cars you're driving towards just like Tesla often does.
My Model 3 drivers me nuts when driving up/down steep hills. Any parked cars or people walking on the pavement and the Tesla goes nuts. Its one thing they need to work on.

peoples perspective on what is "good" or "bad" is very subjective sometimes and often based on situations and previous car, i.e what cars you've come from in the past.

i.e people raving that teslas are amazing, are clearly blinkered, as with any car its a compromise, but generally i think the problem is not the car itself its how the company is run as a whole and how it delegates its resources to fixing/making a problem

A tesla in my view is the carbon copy of apple and its iphone.

Teslas mindset, thats the car, take it or leave it we dont care, the next punter will buy it, their that confident, untill sales drop they just arent prepared to waste resources on legancy issues. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly dillusional.

I have almost all of the safety features minimised to the most simple of warnings, I have TACC set to manual speed setting and find it works really well, the A90 from Aberdeen to Dundee is a worst case scenario for any adaptive cruise control being a 70mph road with normal road junctions, slip roads and even private driveways joining straight onto the road. The performance of TACC on the Y has been massively better than our previous 3 for phantom braking etc.

I drive this road regularly and it drives very well on AP/EAP, the only problem area is as you pass AM Philp (agricultural vehicles) where there is a brake hesitation in each direction at the junction. Don't know why but it does it every time. I have checked the underlying map and it shows 70mph

So 4 other vehicle manufacturers....hardly comprehensive!

By way of comparison, I have had direct experience of 6 vehicle manufacturers, so again, far from the full set.

To be fair to Tesla, they have achieved a number of notable firsts for me though.

They delivered a brand new vehicle to me with accident damage.

They delivered a vehicle to me with a fundamentally different specification to the one they demo'd to me immediately before I placed my order and didn't have the common decency to even mention this too me before, during or after delivery.

Customer Services have been repeatedly evasive, condescending, and have, on occasion lied to me.

The paint fell off my 3 month old vehicle (though not all of it).

Recently they made me laugh out loud (by telling me that, in their opinion, Vision based Park Assist has achieved performance parity with the USS based systems).

Oh, and my 22 year old Honda (Acura in your world) has shown few signs of fragility and, unlike my Tesla, is worth significantly more now than I paid for it, whilst both Honda UK and my local service department are never anything less than a pleasure to deal with.
Tesla are the first manufacturer out of about 15 i've dealt with who have stated "all cars fall apart once used" as an excuse for poor build quality.

• Disagree
Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
I drive this road regularly and it drives very well on AP/EAP, the only problem area is as you pass AM Philp (agricultural vehicles) where there is a brake hesitation in each direction at the junction. Don't know why but it does it every time. I have checked the underlying map and it shows 70mph
I found that it brakes in different locations at that junction. Northbound it brakes at the North end of the Junction and at the South end when Southbound.
I did pass this onto Tesla via the email address @MrBadger provided in the other thread, but not sure if that is US only. Not been up for a while to see if anything has changed.