Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure I'm enjoying my MY after 8 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In fact, Carmel, Indiana, has the most roundabouts per junction of any city in the world, according to some obscure site I was just browsing:

View attachment 967871

In terms of total numbers, ~9,000 in the US vs ~25,000 in the UK. Or one per every 329 square miles in the US vs one per every 3.74 square miles in the UK.
whoever compiled that list clearly hasn’t been to Milton Keynes.

@FEERSUMENDJIN Did you mean to disagree with my comment? Its a fact as in I've had cars from 15 different manufacturers and Tesla is the first one to say that to me, so it's not something you can disagree with.
Dissagree with the generalisability of the comment and your general tone. Some random punter at Tesla maybe said that. Not my experience of the Tesla team at all. Not even close. I expect this kind of nonsense from Facebook but not here.

Dissagree with the generalisability of the comment and your general tone. Some random punter at Tesla maybe said that. Not my experience of the Tesla team at all. Not even close. I expect this kind of nonsense from Facebook but not here.
"Random Punter"? It was a Tesla service Technician, not some bloke of the street. I'm not suggesting that the whole of Tesla believe this to be true, but I've never had any other manufactures staff say this to me. I wasn't aware poor experiences and negative comments should be confined to Facebook as I'm not on there.

Reactions: Durzel and Pants
I did however have a close call once when somebody tried merging into my lane without looking and I had to react in order to avoid a crash. Tesla did nothing. Not even a warning.
Had similar experience in my loaner 3 coming back from yorks on the A1M last week.

Was on the inside lane and, once it drew level with me, this rickety old camper van in the middle lane slowly but very surely moved across into my space, indicating and all. Long and bitter experience of Tesla "safety" means I knew straight away it was up to me to jump on the brakes and borrow three feet of the shoulder to avoid an accident worthy of the local paper. Like you, no warning.

I did sound the horn and expected to have footage, but for whatever reason the loan car refuses to record any dashcam video to the USB drive in the glove compartment. Everything on a Tesla is like carrying around a spare with an unseen puncture, in that you glance at it in the boot and are reassured by its presence... right up to the point you come to need it.

A mixture of unparalleled driving dynamics and really bad tech isn't going to convince buyers over the longer term

Had similar experience in my loaner 3 coming back from yorks on the A1M last week.

Was on the inside lane and, once it drew level with me, this rickety old camper van in the middle lane slowly but very surely moved across into my space, indicating and all. Long and bitter experience of Tesla "safety" means I knew straight away it was up to me to jump on the brakes and borrow three feet of the shoulder to avoid an accident worthy of the local paper. Like you, no warning.

I did sound the horn and expected to have footage, but for whatever reason the loan car refuses to record any dashcam video to the USB drive in the glove compartment. Everything on a Tesla is like carrying around a spare with an unseen puncture, in that you glance at it in the boot and are reassured by its presence... right up to the point you come to need it.

A mixture of unparalleled driving dynamics and really bad tech isn't going to convince buyers over the longer term
I had my usual 500m round trip of A1M this weekend. Basically I stopped using Teslas version of *sugar* cruise control, because the amount of phantom braking I was getting was ridiculous. It has been pretty good up until recently and I've noticed it getting worse. I'm now at the point of hating Tesla technology for anything relating to safety. It was pulling me left/right and braking for no reason. If I got a bit close to the line, it pulled me over when I didn't want to.

You drive down the road and it alarms you there is a person on the pavement. Honestly getting a bit fed up with it all.

Reactions: Leytonstone
Yes. This is because the system in your car is demonstrably worse at driving than you. Who thinks Tesla sees things better than humans down unlit roads on a damp winter's night? The shonky headlamps on my MS aren't good enough for my eyeballs let alone the car's 2015-era CMOS image sensors.

I'd pay money to have the erstwhile Mobileye platform put back because then I could at least enjoy forward adaptive cruise rather than the unendingly panic-stricken grandma Tesla replaced it with. Or just a button that old school pins the speed.

Long story short, you have to grit your teeth, enjoy your car for the driving experience, and try something else when the lease is up.

Reactions: Durzel
Yes. This is because the system in your car is demonstrably worse at driving than you. Who thinks Tesla sees things better than humans down unlit roads on a damp winter's night? The shonky headlamps on my MS aren't good enough for my eyeballs let alone the car's 2015-era CMOS image sensors.

I'd pay money to have the erstwhile Mobileye platform put back because then I could at least enjoy forward adaptive cruise rather than the unendingly panic-stricken grandma Tesla replaced it with. Or just a button that old school pins the speed.

Long story short, you have to grit your teeth, enjoy your car for the driving experience, and try something else when the lease is up.
yep, I still have two years unfortunately. I've already been on the look out and checking reviews. Even my Nissan/Skoda had better cruise control and safety features and those cars were half the price. I don't understand how a company that sold themselves as the edge of technology for cars, is so backward now.

Such a shame in all honesty.

yep, I still have two years unfortunately. I've already been on the look out and checking reviews. Even my Nissan/Skoda had better cruise control and safety features and those cars were half the price. I don't understand how a company that sold themselves as the edge of technology for cars, is so backward now.

Such a shame in all honesty.
The simple answer to that is that Tesla do an amazing job in spite of not advertising of convincing the general public that they are at the apex of autonomous driving, and tech generally.

A lot of that I guess has to do with the fact that Elon gets endless column inches written about his promises, completely credulously. Various news sites seeking clicks leverage him and in so doing further cement the myth that they are at the cutting edge.

I would probably argue that Elon's purchase of Twitter has gone some way to diminishing this, though. Since pretty much every decision he has made with that business has been transparently terrible, I am finding more and more of these same news sites reporting on him in a far less favourable light. I don't think he can bullshit his way through saying "FSD is going to be here this year", "Robotaxis will be in your living room for $25k by 2024", etc anymore.

In terms of the UK - autopilot, FSD, etc has basically stood still for at least as long as I've owned my car (Q1 2020), while other manufacturers are making significant progress or surpassing them (Mercedes level 3 validation springs to mind). For all the overtures about Tesla's constantly being upgraded in software terms, it's all very surface level stuff, and it is like a salve to distract you from the fact that basic things like intelligent lighting, wipers, even parking sensors that work, etc is conspicuously absent on this "car for the techie minded", and the USP of autonomous driving etc is at a standstill.

Taken as a whole this ultimately means that the public perception of where Tesla is with their cars, and autonomous driving, is very different to the reality experienced by any owner. I've said it several times before by my work colleagues think my car can drive me home from a club while I'm asleep or drunk in the passenger seat.

I can imagine many Tesla customers being once bitten, twice shy when it comes to looking at replacing their car, and being a one Tesla owner as a result.

The simple answer to that is that Tesla do an amazing job in spite of not advertising of convincing the general public that they are at the apex of autonomous driving, and tech generally.

A lot of that I guess has to do with the fact that Elon gets endless column inches written about his promises, completely credulously. Various news sites seeking clicks leverage him and in so doing further cement the myth that they are at the cutting edge.

I would probably argue that Elon's purchase of Twitter has gone some way to diminishing this, though. Since pretty much every decision he has made with that business has been transparently terrible, I am finding more and more of these same news sites reporting on him in a far less favourable light. I don't think he can bullshit his way through saying "FSD is going to be here this year", "Robotaxis will be in your living room for $25k by 2024", etc anymore.

In terms of the UK - autopilot, FSD, etc has basically stood still for at least as long as I've owned my car (Q1 2020), while other manufacturers are making significant progress or surpassing them (Mercedes level 3 validation springs to mind). For all the overtures about Tesla's constantly being upgraded in software terms, it's all very surface level stuff, and it is like a salve to distract you from the fact that basic things like intelligent lighting, wipers, even parking sensors that work, etc is conspicuously absent on this "car for the techie minded", and the USP of autonomous driving etc is at a standstill.

Taken as a whole this ultimately means that the public perception of where Tesla is with their cars, and autonomous driving, is very different to the reality experienced by any owner. I've said it several times before by my work colleagues think my car can drive me home from a club while I'm asleep or drunk in the passenger seat.

I can imagine many Tesla customers being once bitten, twice shy when it comes to looking at replacing their car, and being a one Tesla owner as a result.
absolutely bang on. I'm actually tired of updating my car for a change in UI or making something worse than it was. I think the first time this happened was two weeks after I got my car, where they changed that beautiful UI to some Windows Vista looking design. I still hate it.

The wipers and lights are actually pretty dangerous in the dark and I'm sick of it. Would I buy a new Tesla, no way on earth would I go near one.
I would keep my current one though and look at buying an EV that has working wipers/lights/cruise control etc. Once the SC Network is opened up, I'll never go back to Tesla unless those prices reduce by a lot.

On balance and pretty happy with my 3 at the moment. That could change if they continue to tamper with stuff in the way they do, but for now I’d happily keep it until it fell apart.

My next car won’t be a Tesla though.

Service this am
Early, efficient, job done right
Nice ride they came in
1693332146500.jpeg

I did ask to trade my M3 and he wouldn’t do it
;)

I'm seriously looking at the BYD Seal, coming to the UK soon.
I've been looking at alternatives too. The problem with the Chinese cars is their lane keep / adaptive cruise isn't amazing. They also bing and bong way more than even Teslas. BYD are better than most, but they still seem to bong quite a lot. There's a fun Kris Rifa video where he gets absolutely enraged by a NIO constantly bonging at him.

The other obvious issue with BYD cars that no one seems to talk about is that they rapid charge really slowly and overheat/rapid gate after one or sometimes during their first rapid charge.

Have a look at Bjorn’s two 1000km challenges with the BYD. ‘Not great’

Even the NIO is slow charging and it can have a 100kwh battery, yes I get you can battery swap and that sounds great but it’s barley any faster than just charging a Tesla on a long trip in reality. You have to stay with the car while it swaps and then go and use the bathroom etc, the time delta is a lot shorter than you think.

The grass really isn’t greener, except perhaps with Kia/Hyundai at the moment which operate in a similar price point.

Polestar, BMW etc are all priced well above Tesla money, not sure why Tesla are so often compared to them. Kia, Ford, Hyundai, VW, Skoda, Seat are where Tesla price their two cars which sell in any meaningful volume.

The other obvious issue with BYD cars that no one seems to talk about is that they rapid charge really slowly and overheat/rapid gate after one or sometimes during their first rapid charge.

Have a look at Bjorn’s two 1000km challenges with the BYD. ‘Not great’
Yes, I watched Bjorn's video the other day. It's not really a big issue for me as I only do a few road trips a year, 95+% of my charging is done at home. Hopefully they'll take on board Bjorn's feedback and fix the 'rapidgate' :) issue with more cooling. For me, the biggest issue by some marging with my Model 3 P is the noise levels at motorway speeds. The Seal is testing to be much quieter.