Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not wanting Tesla app to wake the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
I find it irritating that when the Tesla app is opened it automatically wakes the car. Alternatively using the Tessie app it's default setting never wakes the car so you can check various parameters more quickly (because you don't have to wait for the car wake-up sequence) and you avoid losing a little battery charge each time. As the Tesla app develops to include elements that are not about direct car control it would seem sensible to have the option not to wake on opening. On tapping the app icon it could present you with a choice of "wake car" or "don't wake car" before proceeding. What do others think?

As the Tesla app develops to include elements that are not about direct car control it would seem sensible to have the option not to wake on opening.

Mine is on PowerWalls "TAB" and doesn't wake any of the cars.

I think it is on that TAB 'coz that's where it was when I last used the APP (and/or when I closed the APP)

But if I scroll sideways to get to a car (or click PEOPLE icon and then choose a car) that will wake the car. Not sure what I would want to do that would not involve waking the car though. maybe just check most recently known SoC

Not bad the idea!
But, with Tessie, if sleeping for long time some info aren't right because all data are just before to sleep.

Yes, the data is frozen as of time of sleeping but that is clear from the time of sleeping being shown on-screen. The only thing that will change is the gradual loss of SOC. Because I subscribe to Tessie I invariably choose use it in preference to the Tesla app if wanting to check some parameters... seems that Tesla app could do the same.

These are some of the bits and bobs that come up ...
If you want to look up your charging stats or change price settings etc on the Tesla app it's going to wake the car. If you are checking out the demand on certain Superchargers today whilst at home it will wake the car. If I want to double check "did I change my state of charge setting to the higher level I need for tomorrow"? ... it will wake the car. If I'm in the house and think to look at the tyre pressures on my last drive ... it wakes the car. If someone on the forum mentions the version number of their Tesla app and I want to check mine ... it wakes the car. If my wife is away in the car and I wonder if she's on her way home yet ... it will wake the car when it was happily sleeping in a car park. (Tessie will immediately show me where the car is without needing to wake it up.) If you are away on holiday and you want to be reassured that your car hasn't been moved to a different location you can check without waking the car using Tessie but not with Tesla app.

This is one of my irritations, since I don't drive my car that much so don't need to keep waking it up.

Best is when you get a "message from the Tesla service team", and of course if you click on it the app opens and wakes the car up and then takes you to the message. Why does it need to wake the car up for me to just read and respond to the service team? (or - worse - when it's a survey invite or something).

This is one of my irritations, since I don't drive my car that much so don't need to keep waking it up.

Best is when you get a "message from the Tesla service team", and of course if you click on it the app opens and wakes the car up and then takes you to the message. Why does it need to wake the car up for me to just read and respond to the service team? (or - worse - when it's a survey invite or something).

Yes, I forgot to mention that one ... messaging the Service Centre ... surely no need to wake the car for that. Tessie covers me for most of the other stuff but it can't do the messaging obviously.

I can't say this is on my list of issues, it might wake the car, but the car sleeps again pretty quickly and there's no noticable loss in range. I've just had a look on Teslamate and the car was woken up 5 times yesterday and it might have lost 1% during that time, and that might be for other reasons such as the battery cooling slightly, rounding, etc as the drop came on the first wake up, and no change thereafter. I don't find phantom drain is a thing anymore (although I'm a non sentry mode user) if thats what worries people

Whats the concern?

I can't say this is on my list of issues, it might wake the car, but the car sleeps again pretty quickly and there's no noticable loss in range. I've just had a look on Teslamate and the car was woken up 5 times yesterday and it might have lost 1% during that time, and that might be for other reasons such as the battery cooling slightly, rounding, etc as the drop came on the first wake up, and no change thereafter. I don't find phantom drain is a thing anymore (although I'm a non sentry mode user) if thats what worries people

Whats the concern?
Mine too is woken every 1.30/2h, doesn't matter if parked at home or work... can't check if at home (under wifi) calling the mothership... this happens after receiving 2023.20.4.1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230703_134636.jpg
    Screenshot_20230703_134636.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_20230703_134613.jpg
    Screenshot_20230703_134613.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 92

Whats the concern?

Yes, it's not a massive issue but it could be an easy fix. It's irritating in the modern world of responsive apps to sit waiting for a spinning thingy while the car wakes up ... when I don't need the car woken up for what I want the app to do! When I got the Tessie app later on last year I realised what a difference it made just being able to go straight into the app without the delay.

EDIT: Hey 1% or more is a valuable thing in the winter when you have a 2019 SR+ ! :D

Yes, it's not a massive issue but it could be an easy fix. It's irritating in the modern world of responsive apps to sit waiting for a spinning thingy while the car wakes up ... when I don't need the car woken up for what I want the app to do! When I got the Tessie app later on last year I realised what a difference it made just being able to go straight into the app without the delay.

EDIT: Hey 1% or more is a valuable thing in the winter when you have a 2019 SR+ ! :D
Ah.. I've not noticed the app stuck while it waits for the car to wake up (if thats what you're saying), if thats what the worry is, then I get it.

Mine too is woken every 1.30/2h, doesn't matter if parked at home or work... can't check if at home (under wifi) calling the mothership... this happens after receiving 2023.20.4.1
A two-button reboot usually fixes that, in my experience. Mine has done it a few times after a software update & a reset usually makes it go back to its normal sleeping pattern.

Could be one of the mods you've added. Haven't you got several things tapped in to CANBUS etc?
Yes I have, but are there before this "issue "(at least4 updates).
From yesterday evening Octopus IO was disconnected.
Maybe from there come. I will keep disconnected until tomorrow evening to see if was really "sorted ".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230704_110144.jpg
    Screenshot_20230704_110144.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited: