Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notches inside 3 wheels only?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Model 3, SR+ with 18" Aero Wheels

Went to the mechanic to swap winter wheels/tires to summer wheels/tires and they discovered something very interesting/strange...

On three of the wheels, there are "notches" on the inside. On the fourth wheel - no notches!

At first, they thought it was 2 of each and that one set was for the front and one for the rear, but to have 3 of one and 1 of the other doesn't make sense...

Anyone else notice this or have a guess as to the reason? Pics attached.

Attachments

• wheels no notches.jpg
    wheels no notches.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 127
  • wheels with notches.jpg
    wheels with notches.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 94
Put that one toward the inside of the track. :)

Notches? We don't need no stinkin' notches!

True! It will run slower on the inside wheel, so it's like an external diff! ;) Maybe Tesla did it so that they could save some money not putting a real diff in this car? Genius!

In all seriousness though, does anyone have a clue why one wheel is different? Is it just different batches? My mechanic was stumped...

Probably what the industry calls a "running change," which is a change that is made in the middle of a production year that has no impact, visual or functional, on the product. Can be for different reasons, supplier change, cost savings, production efficiency improvement, etc. Pretty regular thing when a company is trying to focus on something. More common early in a vehicle's life than late. Pretty common thing I dealt with when I was at Ford.