Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notes from Portland prototype tour.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a couple of notes I took today during the Model S Prototype tour stop here in Portland.

1) The doors will be frameless; no upper molding around the window
2) Final nose of the car will be very similar to the prototype. The imagines of the Alpha are not representative of the final product.
3) battery & powertrain is liquid cooled.
4) Charge port location was not disclosed, but said it would not look like a gasoline cover. He said it was going to be very cool, as if designed by Apple... whatever that means. Mentioned level 3, 2 or 1 charging, but didn't indicate connector type.
5) Center console will not be there... would be able to play footsie with the passenger.
6) Car connected to internet
7) front seats will have a heating option.
8) door handles will be similar to prototype but not identical. they will be 'self deploying' with proximity detector fob.
9) the 17" screen will be cutting edge resolution and contract. Will be very visible in direct sunlight.

Drbradfo,

Nice job, you must have taken notes. Thanks for posting this.

I wanted to add one fact I was surprised by. The rear wheel wells are large enough to accomodate cables for snow driving conditions. Given the aerodynamic profile of the wheel well, I was very surprised by this.

One bit of speculation: In talking with Jerome afterward, he was quite dismissive of any charging connection other than a Tesla connector. He seemed pretty sure the final car would have the same Tesla connector as the roadster, and an adapter available for other types.

Lastly, I have an emotional impression or two. The car is gorgeous. Great curving shape. I was however, shocked at how large it looks. I expected something about the size of a 5 series Bimmer. It seemed much bigger, especially in width. Anyone else have this impression.

E

5) Center console will not be there... would be able to play footsie with the passenger.

Or engage cruise control and swap places :scared:

He said it was going to be very cool, as if designed by Apple... whatever that means.

Oh crap. That usually means a proprietory connector. Surely not. Hope he just means a cool way of hiding it.

I'm guessing it will be behind a large motorised panel that will move up or down/pivot/rotate/slide in some coolish manner - probably the nose of the vehicle, which is why they've been changing the design of the front grille.

Odd comparison, because I think an Apple-like design would suggests a nose more like the Alphas rather than the prototype. But this seems to be too much of a departure from "normal" car design for potential customers.

Maybe the "no-grille" look will be available as an option. I hope so, it's kinda growing on me.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Ongoing discussion about charging specifics went here.

Last edited:
I should be clear. Here are the things I think we mostly agree on that don't have to be rehashed:

• No one (except perhaps the Tesla parts department) wants a proprietary Tesla connector.
  • Yazaki J1772 is the de facto and official (!!) standard in the US (even though some, including myself, would have preferred Mennekes IEC 62196-2 "Type 2").
  • The Model S needs to have a J1772 port in the US (and Japan).
  • The Model S really really should support 3 phase charging in Europe (most likely this means Mennekes).
And let's end the charge discussion with that, seems to conclude it.

Some other notes which got my attention:

1) The doors will be frameless; no upper molding around the window
Just like the Roadster?

Nice! Did they mention anything about the touchscreen? Software running on it?

6) Car connected to internet
Which technique will it support? 3G? 4G? (LTE?) Would be great if it had support for fast internet and had a onboard WiFi access point, that would make it my mobile office..

Thanks for bringing this back on topic.

However (and this is relevant to the thread) I do not believe Tesla will keep the expensive Amphenol connector, not when they are planning to sell tens of thousands of units this time. Besides, it's already been stated that the connector will support higher currents, so unless they plan to uprate the connectors...