Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nothern Virginia Electrician Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly what you asked for, but in the MD suburbs of DC, we got a 14-50 installed for about $350, 4 years ago. It was a very short run from the panel and installed in the wall - not surface conduit. I think it's about 4-6 feet. I doubt the guy works in VA, since he's based in Mt. Airy, MD, but the company is GSW Electric. The web site probably lists their service area.

It cost me about $450 5 years ago when I first got my S. I don't think the contractor i used is still around though. It was a lengthy run - they had to run the cable the length of the house through the basement to get to the garage. Thought the price was pretty reasonable for that.

I bought a deal through Angies List from Courtesy Electric and Home Improvement for 2 hours of labor for $119. I don't know if they'd honor that again, but it can't hurt to ask.

I didn't tell them it was for a Tesla, I told them it was for my welder (which was also true).. there always seems to be a premium if they know its for an expensive car.

They let me provide the #6 cable, and had me run out to Lowes' for supplies, so it ended up very economical.

-Jim

The cost varies greatly depending on the distance your breaker box is from your receptacle location. I had a 50amp circuit (with a 60amp breaker) installed to a Tesla Wall Connector in my garage. My breaker box was in the basement, at the opposite end of house from the garage.

I used Absolute Electric and would highly recommend them. I paid $1,300. Again, this was a long run with thick grade cable, which is why it was so expensive. My garage charger receives 50A, 240V from the wall.

If you’re thinking about getting the long range 3, I would recommend spending a little extra to get 48A output to a Tesla Wall Connector. This would be capable of charging the LR 3 at 44mph.

A 14-50 would be capable of charging the 3 at 30mph.

Last edited:
3 years ago I got quotes anywhere between $400 to $2k. Shop around is all I can say.

And if you tell them it's for an RV/welder/etc., even if you park your car far away, when they come over to give you quotes, the first question I was typically asked "do you park nose in or out?". They all realize it's for an EV (they might not know it's a Tesla though).

I paid about $350 to have the 50amp circuit installed 2 years ago. It was a long run, the length of the house. The wire is a big cost ($1.25-$2 per foot) I used a family friend, so that was a little cheaper. I would ballpark $500, depending on the distance and trouble.

I also had the Dominion Power EVOnly separate meter installed (for a separate additional cost) that allows variable rates on the EV plug only. That was a pilot program that stopped new installed in 2016. New announcements on the program should be made in Q2/Q3 of this year.

I would recommend upgrading the wire to a lower gauge in case you want to upgrade the circuit to 100 amps later. It's a lot easier to swap out the breakers than it is to run new wire. Consult your electrician about that though.

I have my guy's contact and another electrician that I liked that wired my whole basement last year. PM me if you want details.

For the owners that live in Northern Virginia, what did it cost to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed? Are there any other alternatives? Also, if you used an electrician, is there anyone you can recommend?

Thanks!
I live in Northern Virginia as well. I have configured my model 3 last week and expecting delivery 3-6 weeks. I will probably have electrician coming to my home this weekend. I will share quote once he comes.

Another question I have is, I have finished basement and electricity panel little far away from garage (around 25) feet so for me to do NEMA 14/50, I have to break cut drywall and pass cable from panel to garage. Another option I have is, I have NEMA 14/30 in my mechanical room for additional dryer which I am not using. My mechanical room is right below garage and unfinished from where I can easily extend 30 A cable to my garage. Do you think its worth to do 14/50 over 14/30 for additional 8 miles/hour extra charge?

• Helpful
Reactions: Shoal007
I live in Northern Virginia as well. I have configured my model 3 last week and expecting delivery 3-6 weeks. I will probably have electrician coming to my home this weekend. I will share quote once he comes.

Another question I have is, I have finished basement and electricity panel little far away from garage (around 25) feet so for me to do NEMA 14/50, I have to break cut drywall and pass cable from panel to garage. Another option I have is, I have NEMA 14/30 in my mechanical room for additional dryer which I am not using. My mechanical room is right below garage and unfinished from where I can easily extend 30 A cable to my garage. Do you think its worth to do 14/50 over 14/30 for additional 8 miles/hour extra charge?
It would depend on your usage. the 14-30 is 22miles per hour, right? Calculate how many miles you typically drive in a day, and how long you would need to charge. If you drive 300 miles a day, and are only home for 10 hours, then no, the 14-30 will not be enough. If you drive 50 miles a day, and are home for 10 hours, then yes, the 14-30 will be more than enough.

I'm still waiting on my opportunity to configure but plan on running 3 or 4 gauge on a 100 amp circuit from one end of my unfinished basement room about 30' to my garage to install a sub panel. From there I need to run a few outlets to my work bench and then a plug for the car.

House was just built and we moved in Labor Day. We had an issue with the lamp post and I tried to get a quote out of the electrician for that plug but he wouldn't commit to anything. I said my parents just retired and bought an RV so they needed to be able to plug it in when the visited.....not sure he bought it.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as your first option. I definitely would be interested to know what he quotes you. I have a couple guys coming through the next few days so I'll let you know what they quote as well.

I for the quote from electrician. For extending 14/30 from mechanic room to garage above is 340. This would require 50-60 feet of cable to due to location where I would like to install outlet in my garage. For 14/50 it was 900 as we need to create new circuit along with new wiring from the panel. My daily commute is around 30 miles and may added up adding another 20-30 files couple of days of the week.

I think I will go with extending 14/30 from mechanic room to garage upstair.

I for the quote from electrician. For extending 14/30 from mechanic room to garage above is 340. This would require 50-60 feet of cable to due to location where I would like to install outlet in my garage. For 14/50 it was 900 as we need to create new circuit along with new wiring from the panel. My daily commute is around 30 miles and may added up adding another 20-30 files couple of days of the week.

I think I will go with extending 14/30 from mechanic room to garage upstair.

Thanks for this info. Do you mind sharing the info for the electrician?

Hi his name is Dave and his contact number is 703-851-1260. I would highly recommend him. I finally decided to go with NEMA 14/50 with new circuit from panel. We used cable which can support 60A but installed with 50A breaker. This is just in case if I want to use wall charger.

Thanks. I actually had it done last weekend for $1000. I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed (with 6 gauge wire) but no new panel . He was able to add in a 50A breaker into my current panel by making some of the existing breakers into tandem breakers. We have 200A coming into the house, so he mentioned that there was no need right now to add a new panel.

Hi his name is Dave and his contact number is 703-851-1260. I would highly recommend him. I finally decided to go with NEMA 14/50 with new circuit from panel. We used cable which can support 60A but installed with 50A breaker. This is just in case if I want to use wall charger.

Guys this is what I would recommend to do as noted above. You can gain another 33% charging when you get a wall charger in the future. Then it is a simple swap of the breaker and change out the plug. The #6 is the correct size for the wall charger.

I'm going with the wall charger and running the number #6. I would like to be able to get a quick charge should I get stuck in a bind.

Also living in Va we do not benefit from the referral process for the free signature wall charger because of VA law blocking it.

I did this based on the Model S charger info. I assumed it applies for the 3 also.

Guys this is what I would recommend to do as noted above. You can gain another 33% charging when you get a wall charger in the future. Then it is a simple swap of the breaker and change out the plug. The #6 is the correct size for the wall charger.

I'm going with the wall charger and running the number #6. I would like to be able to get a quick charge should I get stuck in a bind.

Also living in Va we do not benefit from the referral process for the free signature wall charger because of VA law blocking it.

I did this based on the Model S charger info. I assumed it applies for the 3 also.
Sometimes I feel Viirgibia is worst state. There is no state rebate for any thing related electric vehicle and we still have to pay personal property tax.

Thanks. I actually had it done last weekend for $1000. I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed (with 6 gauge wire) but no new panel . He was able to add in a 50A breaker into my current panel by making some of the existing breakers into tandem breakers. We have 200A coming into the house, so he mentioned that there was no need right now to add a new panel.

Did you get your VIN assigned? I have not yet received VIN. I configured red aero eap on 02/11.

Did you get your VIN assigned? I have not yet received VIN. I configured red aero eap on 02/11.

I ordered through a family member's account. I received the call about VIN getting assigned yesterday. The rep said that I'll receive some documentation for sending to my bank which will have the VIN. I haven't had a chance to have my brother in law log into his account to send me the VIN. I'll see if I can have him do that today. Rep also said delivery should be about 3 weeks.