Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nothing wrong with my fit & finish.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Nobody ever posts when there's nothing wrong, so I just though I would. As far as I can tell, the fit & finish of my car, outside and inside, are all as perfect as my eye can detect. A few quibbles about firmware, which I hope will be addressed in future updates. But visually the car seems perfect.

Feel free to add yourself to the list of people whose Model 3 is cosmetically perfect. :)

I didn't buy this car because it has the smallest panel gaps. I bought it because it's the best car I can buy.
+1000! Well said.
Because apparently to own a nice car, you need a caliper to make sure it's really nice.
I always thought is was a ball bearing that rolled down the gaps like a labyrinth. Some TV commercial from long ago taught me that. Must be true, I saw it on TV (that was before the truth moved to the internet).

And with the magic of the Google:

Reactions: Reciprocity
I think you forgot to measure everything with a caliper. Because apparently to own a nice car, you need a caliper to make sure it's really nice.

Caliper, surely you jest. Don't you know the Model 3 key card is the proper tool as it is photogenic? It's all the rage to use it to check sunken hoods and such and it's right there given to you at delivery.

Caliper, surely you jest. Don't you know the Model 3 key card is the proper tool as it is photogenic? It's all the rage to use it to check sunken hoods and such and it's right there given to you at delivery.

Of course I jest. In my 30+ years of driving, I have never once thought about a panel gap or even heard the term before 18 months ago in relation to Tesla. If you're 3" from a car when its moving, you are doing something wrong. If your 3" from my car in the drive way, you might get shot.. jk I don't even own a gun. Or maybe I do, I wouldn't risk it..

Congratulations! Curious, what is your VIN?

And did you check for sunken hood, bulging headlights, weird panel fit around taillights, etc.?

VIN 5xxx

What's a bulging headlight? What constitutes "weird panel fit"? I read that the stones at Machu Picchu are so perfectly fitted that you cannot slide a piece of paper between them. You can slide a piece of paper between the panels of my car. I guess the Incas were better engineers than Tesla.

I think you forgot to measure everything with a caliper. Because apparently to own a nice car, you need a caliper to make sure it's really nice.

Gosh, way to burst my bubble! I don't even own a caliper. :eek: My car does require just a little more force to close the door than other cars I've owned. Is this a defect, or a feature? I'm going to call it a feature so that I can continue to be pleased with it.

An electron microscope will find imperfections in anything. Since I don't own an electron microscope I'm not going to worry about that level of perfection. When I look at my car, I see nothing wrong with the fit and finish. Does a Lexus have closer tolerances? Probably. If I cannot see it, and it does not affect function or performance, then it does not matter.

There's nothing wrong with my Model 3 that a firmware update can't fix.