Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that production has resumed, how long before we find out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that as long as they don't make it as cheap feeling like the 3 it will probably be well received. Keep the alcantara roof and just generally better quality.
I’d prefer a HUD or small display as well. But I’m fine driving my wife’s 3 after a few miles. Lots of other future EVs are showing fancy wall to wall screens so I don’t think minimal will sell well even if it dies work ok.

Agree on needing some upgrades.

I disagree, if the rumors of a model 3 like interior coming to the S are true I don’t think many would like that.

Actual improvement yes people would welcome that but something like looks which are subjective I don’t think many would be happy to get something they didn’t order.

Exactly! The only reason I will stick to the Model S and X is because I hate the 1 screen in the Model 3 and Y.

Reactions: whitex
I don't think crash testing is a requirement for sale. The car can be very unsafe and still be sold. There is no certification for minimum crash ratings, and some cars are never crash tested.
Consumer reports says the The Jaguar F-Pace, Land Rover Discovery, and Porsche Macan are among those cars that have never been crash tested.

This is a good point - cars can be exempted from the FMVSS crash testing, but usually that's due to the models being built on substantially similar platforms to cars that have already been tested. That's almost certainly the case in your examples - The F-pace is built on the same modular platform as the XF, XJ, etc. The Macan is nothing more than an Audi Q5 with hot sauce. Discovery is a Range Rover in different clothes.

I disagree however with the assertion that crash testing is not a requirement for sale. FMVSS spells this out in nauseating detail.
49 CFR § 571.208 - Standard No. 208; Occupant crash protection. As CR states though, it appears there's no requirement that those results are made public (i.e. through NHTSA, etc), only that they are completed internally.
Some Cars Will Never Be Crash-Tested, Leaving Consumers in the Dark

Not all changes would require a new crash test though. It's pretty clear the Model Y was not re-tested when it shifted over to the new castings. For that matter it seems like it wasn't tested at all on initial sale, and maybe didn't need to due to its similarity to the Model 3.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bruce4000
The specifics have finally been released.

There is a new "replace frunk" option which allows Elon to drop in 1 of 2 approved engines for the S.

There are 2 new engine options:

2.5 Liter 4-cylinder w/ turbo (adapted from mid 90s Chrysler K-Cars)
7.2 Liter Cummins Turbo Diesel

Am waiting for more details from my sources...
I’ll take the Cummins pls

• Funny
Reactions: RubberToe
Just don't look under the hood ;)

Tesla-Model-Y-Condenser-2.jpg

Seems to be an out of sight cost effective solution that fills a need rather than shut down the assembly line while waiting for the same part uniformly cut and painted in Red Founders series.
(Hoping for a Model S refresh then we might cancel our Model Y LR RWD reservation that has been "preparing for delivery" for the last 8 months)

Last edited:
We ordered a model X on December 12th, and the Sales advisor told us that everything was on hold. Then on the 14th, he said there would be a significant delay. Then we heard of the MX line shut down, checked our account, and had no delivery time showing.
I checked our Tesla account this past Sunday (Jan 10th), and the delivery date was updated to between February 12 - March 12th.

similar with nosecone. Some liked, some didn’t. Once the grumbling was done many people preferred the new model.

sure the model 3 interior might be more polarizing though if they do a single screen only.
I got new mirrors in one of my S'es, took 4 mirror assembly swaps in 4 months to get one that actually works for more than 2 weeks. That was when Tesla still had loaners. Nowadays post Model 3/Y flood and service changes, combined with the pandemic, the experience would be so much worse. On another S I got the "new and improved rain sensing wipers" which did not work for 9 months at all, and still don't work as well as the old ones. No thanks for new tech, if I ordered proven tech, I don't want some alpha trial. If I ever order another Tesla again, I want what I order, not some new brain-fart of Elon's, and that includes the single landscape computer screen hung in the middle of the dash.

There have been rumors of a refreshed S since 2016. I'll believe it when it's on Tesla's website or Elon announces it, and until then I say ho hum.
Yep - basic marketing strategy and common business sense would go like this...

If I have something "new and improved" being released - I want to the world to know about it.

Elon would be crowing. And I don't hear a "caw" anywhere in these parts...

Reactions: Fred42
Yep - basic marketing strategy and common business sense would go like this...

If I have something "new and improved" being released - I want to the world to know about it.

Elon would be crowing. And I don't hear a "caw" anywhere in these parts...
That only makes sense if you’re fine with your “new and improved” crowing immediately cratering demand for your existing product, which Tesla doesn’t have the luxury of.

I don't think crash testing is a requirement for sale. The car can be very unsafe and still be sold. There is no certification for minimum crash ratings, and some cars are never crash tested.
Consumer reports says the The Jaguar F-Pace, Land Rover Discovery, and Porsche Macan are among those cars that have never been crash tested.

It is not required, but for good press you will need good crash test resuls. For all the abovementioned, you can google the crash test results (maybe not US results, but nevertheless, comprehensive test results).

It is not required, but for good press you will need good crash test resuls. For all the abovementioned, you can google the crash test results (maybe not US results, but nevertheless, comprehensive test results).
Agreed! The manufacturer is required to build a US vehicle to a certain safety standard (seat belts, certain bumper/hood heights for pedestrian protection, air bags, etc). They must also internally crash test the vehicle (not public). As long as the minimum standards are met in design and building, the car can be very deadly and still be produced. The IIHS in USA publically tests many vehicles and releases these safety results. Some vehicles are never tested publically for safety. The buying public decides how safe a car they want to buy.

Agreed! The manufacturer is required to build a US vehicle to a certain safety standard (seat belts, certain bumper/hood heights for pedestrian protection, air bags, etc). They must also internally crash test the vehicle (not public). As long as the minimum standards are met in design and building, the car can be very deadly and still be produced. The IIHS in USA publically tests many vehicles and releases these safety results. Some vehicles are never tested publically for safety. The buying public decides how safe a car they want to buy.
You do realize that poorly rated cars can be legally sold, so "meeting the minimum bar" is not what people here are concerned about. The difference between a 5 star and 1 start rated cars is the difference between walking away or never walking again after extensive medical procedures, assuming the very same accident. Heck, the difference between 3 star and 5 star is huge. Check out this comparison for the EU NCAP system:

That only makes sense if you’re fine with your “new and improved” crowing immediately cratering demand for your existing product, which Tesla doesn’t have the luxury of.
Never stopped Elon before. Screen in the middle is still divisive enough that telling people it's coming might actually generate some more orders for the current model.

Reactions: thebishop
Tesla does not make current or upcoming models, only iterative changes. You get what you get, if and when you get it.

/s

Except some things can't be iterated. They have an irreducible complexity to them. Like putting in the new tabless cells, that one requires so many changes that you might as well go ahead and call it an update!

Of course, Elon doesn't want to admit that he's doing an update, because he said they don't do that kind of thing. So now he must keep up that image so, it won't be an update. Just a whole bunch of changes at once that are all gradual, they just happened to happen at the same time!