Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also Chuq, were you going to correct Jindabyne. The supercharge.info GMaps info still goes to the lake.
Looks OK on supercharge.info...
1666746171931.png

But the Google Maps link appears to just look up the street address, and Google Maps thinks 1 Bay St is in the water... so not much anyone other than Google can do to fix it!

1666746234189.png

All these planned chargers now appear in Plugshare - did someone add them directly or does Plugshare pull it from some other database?

I also noticed a little over a week ago that someone had added a “new” NRMA charger in Young in the correct location, while the original one was still located on top of the “NRMA charger” map icon in the map itself, which is actually in the wrong location (only by about 20 metres, but enough I think to warrant a correction).

However this “new” site has pretty quickly been merged back with the original, including photos and check-ins.

I once reported in Plugshare the Bathurst Supercharger as not being in the correct location (which it isn’t - the map shows it in bowler’s run-up on the cricket oval) and placed it exactly in the right spot on the satellite image, but it hasn’t been fixed.

So does that mean the location of the “car charger” map icon, wherever that data comes from, has to be fixed, and then the charger location in Plugshare will be moved with it?

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
All these planned chargers now appear in Plugshare - did someone add them directly or does Plugshare pull it from some other database?
Looks like someone named Michael:
1666787666060.png

They really clog up the map, hard to differentiate between a site which is undergoing repair, and a site which is 2+ years away (if at all, if some unforeseen circumstance prevents it)

Going through every single one and requesting deletion from Plugshare is exhausting though. I might just report one and mention it in the notes, they might do a bulk delete.

They really clog up the map, hard to differentiate between a site which is undergoing repair, and a site which is 2+ years away (if at all, if some unforeseen circumstance prevents it)

Going through every single one and requesting deletion from Plugshare is exhausting though. I might just report one and mention it in the notes, they might do a bulk delete.
I don't really see the problem. If you don't want to see coming soon chargers then turn off the coming soon filter. Though plugshare could use a different color/symbol.

I do see a benefit in having them. Not everyone uses this forum or would know the government or 'supercharge.info' map. So having more people that can scout the locations and add photos of any activity or construction I think the better. I saw that with the East Gippsland chargers, photos coming up on plugshare with no mention here.

I'm still waiting on the major cross-Australia announcement connecting Perth to Adelaide. Trans-Canada was done with one big push.

And this NRMA network extension - which has seemingly been funded with $40m in this week's budget.

Note that the Hume Highway (Brisbane - Melbourne) network is probably the Australian equivalent of Trans-Canada - connecting the major population centres together.

While vastly different population wise, Perth is probably more equivalent to electrifying Vancouver - Whitehorse.

Reactions: Da_Gman
The new chargers coming to Wagga, Narrabri etc aren't on plugshare yet. Just checked after reading the other post?
No. Only a few have been added.

My personal view given the number (86) and the timeframe (two years, but given history of these rollouts, probably longer)

Is it's not worth adding until construction begins, or there is council approval for example.

NSW funded Tesla superchargers, all 32 sites, will be open to all EVs and must include at least one Chademo connection per site.
As reported by NSW government department employees on Tesla Tom's live chat tonight.
Will be interesting how they achieve Chademo support as I think that will be a world first. Maybe just a third party charger included on site but I don't feel that is the typical Tesla way. Could we see a supercharger with a second cable that supports Chademo? Tesla already know how to have their cars talk Chademo so I wonder if they will just make their supercharger talk Chademo.

Will be interesting how they achieve Chademo support as I think that will be a world first. Maybe just a third party charger included on site but I don't feel that is the typical Tesla way.
They also have to have a couple of 350kW chargers... I strongly suspect the easiest way to cover both bases is to install a couple of third party units alongside the Superchargers.

I watched the same livestream and to be honest I was even more confused afterwards!

They said even the Tesla sites would have provision for Chademo and would also allow people to use a credit card. (The website also mentions that 2x stalls at each site would support 350 kW charging)

It sounds more like they're going to pop a 3rd party 350 kW capable unit (with two cables) at the end of the row of supercharger stalls.

[Edit: beaten by @cafz!]

I'm not sure if other than design and cable length there will be much difference between V3 and V4.
And much like the 350kW machines can only reach that level for 800V cars, I suspect Tesla's solution (unless they also add third party chargers) will be for Tesla's only - as I don't think other vehicles will accept above 400A.

The other requirement that will be I think new for Tesla globally is the one to accept tap and go payment cards - harder when you don't have a screen. (Interestingly no reference to NSW Opal Card acceptance which was also in the tender docs).

Not sure about Tesla using third party chargers given the later discussion that all the stalls had to be open.