Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuclear power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On financing nuclear, one clean way to begin would be to start with a carbon tax, say $20 a ton right now, increasing 4% a year beyond inflation.

A carbon tax makes fossil fuels more expensive... it doesn't make nuclear cheaper. Unless the proceeds from the carbon tax go directly to fund nuclear power which I don't see as being politically possible.

5 years ago I was a HUGE evangelist for nuclear power (I even bought swag from NEI with my own $$$) but I've always been a CLEAN ENERGY advocate... not specifically a "nuclear" advocate. 5 years ago solar was ~$5/w. 3 years ago I installed my fist PV system for ~$26k or ~$3/w. 3 months ago my most recent PV system cost ~$1.80/w. I have no doubt that 3 years from now I'll be able to install a PV system for <$1/w. Under a Free Market scenario (with a carbon tax); as mentioned numerous time; there is simply no path to any reasonable expansion of nuclear power. We might still see the occasional plant pop up here and there (Vogtle, VC Summer) but I would bet money that we will NEVER again see a year where new net generation of thermal fission exceeds new net generation of Solar PV.

In 2013 the US installed >4.5GW of solar; that's equivalent to ~0.9GW of Nuclear; this year it's projected that the US will install ~6.6GW of solar; equivalent to ~1.3GW of nuclear.
http://cleantechnica.com/2014/06/03/us-solar-installations-2014-double-solar-installations-2012/

A recent quote at a solar seminar I attended really summed up the dramatic drop in cost, "Solar is getting so cheap that soon we'll be installing it on North facing roofs"

Last edited:
GW vs. MWh. Kind of an apple and an orange, don't you think?

Typo... fixed... thanks... changed MW to GW also.... happy? Really more a gram and kilogram... except for the 'h'... that shouldn't have been there :redface:

So we're clear... I wasn't saying 4.5GW of solar generates 900MWh of electricity annually; 4.5 GW of solar generates ~7400GWh of electricity annually... about the same as a 0.9GW nuclear plant.

Last edited:
A recent quote at a solar seminar I attended really summed up the dramatic drop in cost, "Solar is getting so cheap that soon we'll be installing it on North facing roofs"

I already did that. :)
Although, that has more to do with PG&E's punitive pricing for people like me that use a lot of electricity.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are using the $0.20/kWh rate, the equivalent generation rate you should use to compare is $0.09/kWh, not $0.04/kWh.

If you look at the rate schedule, what you are actually paying is:
$0.09202 for generation
$0.06791 for distribution
$0.01898 for transmission (including "transmission rate adjustments")
$0.02287 for other miscellaneous charges

$0.20178 Total (unadjusted)

Then you have the "Conservation Incentive Adjustment" which is a tiered rate that penalizes you for using too much electricity. That's where most of the difference comes from.
Baseline Usage -$0.06551 (credit)
101% - 130% of Baseline -$0.04687 (credit)
131% - 200% of Baseline $0.14098
201% - 300% of Baseline $0.18098
Over 300% of Baseline $0.18098

http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf

So for the "baseline rate" of $0.13627, the equivalent generation is $0.09202-$0.06551 (for the "Conservation Incentive Adjustment") = $0.02651 for generation, or if you spread that adjustment over generation and distribution evenly, you get $0.05433 for generation and $0.04009 for distribution.

That's what nwdriver is using in his comparison (plus he is also looking at wholesale which is a whole other ballgame).

PG&E is perhaps not a very good example in terms of looking a power company margins because their profits are "decoupled" from the energy price:
http://www.pge.com/en/mybusiness/myaccount/rateinfo/index.page

Thanks.
I find it interesting how much money goes into getting the electricity from a power plant to my house.
So when we say that nuclear needs to beat the wholesale rate while solar only needs to beat the retail rate, there's not actually a large market inefficiency at work. Instead, it's just that solar can avoid most of the transmission and distribution charges that make up the bulk of the difference between wholesale and retail rates. Nuclear can't.

I find it interesting how much money goes into getting the electricity from a power plant to my house.
So when we say that nuclear needs to beat the wholesale rate while solar only needs to beat the retail rate, there's not actually a large market inefficiency at work. Instead, it's just that solar can avoid most of the transmission and distribution charges that make up the bulk of the difference between wholesale and retail rates. Nuclear can't.
To be fair, you have to work out this comparison:

Solar + storage vs. Nuclear + transmission & distribution

Moreover, most of the T&D is common infrastructure, i.e. if you add a new nuclear plant (thoughtfully located), you'll only need to add a smallish bit of transmission and make some upgrades to the existing network. Given the fact that this big piece of infrastructure already exists, it's only the incremental cost of this new transmission that should be on the right-hand side of the comparison above (from a social perspective).

To some extent we're trying to have multiple debates at once... Producing ~20% of electricity with solar/wind is one topic... Producing ~80% solar/wind is another topic... and getting to 100% solar/wind is an ENTIRELY different animal IMO... the numbers probably aren't exact but I think there's really ~3 distinct "phases"...

Phase 1 (Today - ~2020)
Where we are now is REALLY easy... you just slap some panels on your roof, no need to worry about storage or "self-consumption". To the grid your PV array just looks like reduced load.
Solar is cheaper per kWh than nuclear... even today.

Phase 2 (~2020 - ~2035)
Hawaii and Germany are either here now or getting close... When peak power is 80%+ of demand you're still <20% of total generation. Most grid-tie inverters CANNOT regulate voltage and frequency. They are on or off; they are inverting 100% of what's available from the panels or they produce nothing. This would need to change to expand past ~20%. Germany has "smart" inverters that can be active participants in grid stability. When frequency gets too high they can curtail power or preferably divert power into a battery bank. Demand Response and small amounts of storage become critical. SMA has already developed solutions. They are starting to bundle inverters with a 4kWh battery pack and they've got what's called the "Sunny home manager" http://www.sma.de/en/home-systems/solar-system-smart.html I wrote an anti-net-metering blog and this is why... we've got to dump "net-metering" LONG before "phase 2" Investments in "smart home" technology are worthless with "net-metering" in place. Solar "would" start to lose it's cost advantage with nuclear... but as the capacity factor of nuclear falls the capital costs increase on a per kWh basis.

Phase 3 (~2035 - ~2050)
IMO going from 80% => 100% wind/solar is probably going to be harder than 0% => 80%. My prediction is that we'll likely have sufficient solar PV installed to completely displace fossil fuels but be unable to due to a lack of storage and the disparity between summer/winter insolation... but... unlike nuclear, so long as it's cheaper to install solar than import power from the grid we will continue to build out solar PV FAR beyond what is 'needed'. The path to >80% solar/wind is probably the day when we've got so much excess energy during the summer months that there's nothing better to do with that extra energy than split water. The hydrogen can then be stored for later use.

Keep in mind that the cost of equipment will likely continue to fall... even though "smart" inverters will be more sophisticated than the grid-tie inverters we're using today I would expect the cost to be the same or lower. Similarly even though we'll need an overabundance of solar in "phase 3" with module prices expected to fall <$0.30/w in 2020 that won't be a problem.

While my premise has always been that solar is cheaper than nuclear the fact I'm 100% certain of is that there IS an economically viable path to 100% solar/wind while there IS NO path to any reasonable expansion of nuclear... let alone >50%. 100% nuclear could in fact be cheaper than 100% solar but with the cost point of solar where it is there's no way for nuclear to expand. The window for nuclear expansion was in the 70s, 80s and 90s... cheap solar has slammed that door HARD.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Well, if I understand the beat of Robert's drum, it says that there are actually very large market inefficiencies.
- delivery/distribution is generally paid for by fees levied per kWh, while the actual cost of the distribution infrastructure is either fixed or depends on peak demand. The model assumes centralized distribution and that residential peak demand and overall usage match.
- solar is currently subsidized in various ways that cause a non-scalable distortion of pricing.

The bad news for residential solar is that an accurate, market-based pricing system would lower the price of electricity itself, making it harder for grid-connected PV to compete. But at the same time, cheaper electricity would improve the cost equation for PEV. If the Muskian aggressive pursuit of value parity succeeds in both PV and PEV markets, I think there would be natural disruption that would shift electricity pricing. Then there's the synergistic benefits that would come from drastically cheaper batteries, that could enable total peak PV capacity to match grid capacity, or, through conversion technologies, even exceed it. Even if the energy doesn't become cheap, it can certainly stop the inflation.

- - - Updated - - -

Phase 3 (~2035 - ~2050)
IMO going from 80% => 100% wind/solar is probably going to be harder than 0% => 80%. My prediction is that we'll likely have sufficient solar PV installed to completely displace fossil fuels but be able to due to a lack of storage and the disparity between summer/winter insolation... but... unlike nuclear, so long as it's cheaper to install solar than import power from the grid we will continue to build out solar PV FAR beyond what is 'needed'. The path to >80% solar/wind is probably the day when we've got so much excess energy during the summer months that there's nothing better to do with that extra energy than split water. The hydrogen can then be stored for later use.

If you have an excess cheap energy, why store hydrogen, when you can take an extra step, and convert it to methane. The methane can be pumped into the natural gas grid, stored for later use in generation, or could be used to synthesize a clean-burning diesel.

If you have an excess cheap energy, why store hydrogen, when you can take an extra step, and convert it to methane. The methane can be pumped into the natural gas grid, stored for later use in generation, or could be used to synthesize a clean-burning diesel.

That would be better :smile: or this...
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-...t-takes-flight-with-fuel-from-the-sea-concept

... HEY! there's a path forward for nuclear! Stick a bunch of AP1000s on remote atolls where the NRC can't bother them and just pump out diesel!

Last edited:
@nwdiver: You make a great point that the challenges of integrating intermittent renewable energy (wind/solar/marine) increases non-linearly with the % of these sources. A few points:

1. Diversity benefits. It's easier to get to a higher % when the sources are diverse: geographically (so that they get different weather) and by prime mover. It's easier to integrate 15% solar and 15% wind than 30% of one or the other. It's even easier to integrate 10% solar, 10% wind, and 10% wave.

2. Dispatchable zero-carbon generation: Conventional hydro is a great resource for integrating lots of renewables. Modern wind turbines, nuclear, and geothermal can all be ramped down to avoid over-generation. Sure, no one likes to ramp down nuclear because it's throwing away free power, but technically it can be done.

3. Demand-side resources: Real-time controllable loads can make a huge difference integrating renewables. Smart Grid advances are essential if we're going to hit near-zero carbon goals.

@nwdiver: You make a great point that the challenges of integrating intermittent renewable energy (wind/solar/marine) increases non-linearly with the % of these sources. A few points:

1. Diversity benefits. It's easier to get to a higher % when the sources are diverse: geographically (so that they get different weather) and by prime mover. It's easier to integrate 15% solar and 15% wind than 30% of one or the other. It's even easier to integrate 10% solar, 10% wind, and 10% wave.

2. Dispatchable zero-carbon generation: Conventional hydro is a great resource for integrating lots of renewables. Modern wind turbines, nuclear, and geothermal can all be ramped down to avoid over-generation. Sure, no one likes to ramp down nuclear because it's throwing away free power, but technically it can be done.

3. Demand-side resources: Real-time controllable loads can make a huge difference integrating renewables. Smart Grid advances are essential if we're going to hit near-zero carbon goals.

Yeah... I think it could be argued that nuclear 'would' be a more cost effective source for that last ~20% but it doesn't work that way... Any power source that fills that gap is going to have a VERY low capacity factor... <30%. Nuclear is the WORST choice for that role. Demand Response and "self-consumtion" is crucial... NET-METERING MUST DIE... LONG LIVE THE FEED-IN TARIFF!

I have a feeling that the gigafactory may kill the grid for small users and take out quite a few large generators in the process. Nissan's offering Leaf batteries for ~$220/kWh, which would put them around 9.2c/kWh assuming they can perform as well as the Chinese LFP cells (5k cycles to 50% dod, so ~2500kWh stored per kWh of capacity).

If Tesla can offer packs for half that, a handy owner can go off grid for ~$.10/kWh plus the costs of backup generation, probably $.10/kWh all in really, because some portion of anyone's use is during the day when they don't need to store the energy, and they can always push a little more of their energy use into the light of day via X10 devices and a computer of some sort.

http://www.balqon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/35_35balqon_battery_2013.pdf

Nissan prices replacement Leaf battery at $5,500

Your conclusion falls apart because in an "all nuclear" scenario you need storage if you want to run the plants at 90% capacity.

Otherwise you need 3x more nuclear capacity to handle peak loads and at which point nuclear will be running around a 30% capacity factor. Will kills your "nuclear is cheaper" argument.

There is no silver bullet here - we need solutions from across the spectrum to de-carbonize the electric grid.

The short answer is most of us pro nuclear don't want nor expect even a 2/3 nuclear world.
Perhaps nuclear+hydro+geothermal+biomass providing 2/3 of total electricity production.
For instance my Brazil has 70% hydro and is moving towards perhaps 10-15% nuclear as our hydro is nearing being tapped out (specially hydro with big reservoirs that can provide a combo of baseload (rainy season) and load following (dry season). Plus Brazil has most of its land as either equatorial or tropical, so solar can provide a daytime baseload charge that is season insensitive (affected just by clouds and rain).
Other countries that don't have much hydro potential and stands in high latitude (lousy solar) might need to go 75%+ nuclear.

Unrelated nuclear news... Russia's first BN-800 reactor is now starting operations. And working towards the BN-1200 reactor (power levels just shy of a large conventional nuke).
The BN-XXX reactor is like the GE S-PRISM (sodium cooled fast reactor). Except GE has zero S-PRISM operational or even in construction. Russian's have been operating BN-600 for 40 years. BN-800 is an upgrade (from 600MWe to 800MWe).
BN series construction costs are similar to western conventional reactors, but with most of its fuel is depleted uranium plus a startup charge of spent nuclear fuel (aka regular nuclear reactor waste), requires no enrichment nor regular fuel fabrication, usually only a simple pyro reprocessing is done to remove the fission products.
Until there are thousands of IFR reactors worldwide, no new uranium needs to be mined. While upon startup IFR reactors require about 10x total nuclear material than a regular reactor, there is no shortage of depleted uranium to make up most of that. In the long run, IFR reactors consume over 90% of the nuclear material you feed it, so it goes from today's reactors using just 0,65% of mined Uranium to using 90% of the already mined uranium (100 fold improvement). And IFR reactors can be tuned to make more Plutonium than it fissions so after some years an IFR reactor can startup another one (requiring just depleted uranium).
BTW, BN reactors can load follow. In the meantime, GE is still shopping for a sucker to build the first reactor (current target UK govt), instead of paying for the first reactor on its own (for instance a build and operate contract), it keeps refusing to put its money where its mouth is.
It's really sad no real democracies are serious working on IFR reactors. Although I prefer molten salt ones, IFR reactors should be safer than LWR/BWR ones.
At BN-600 sizes, an IFR reactor is just as powerful as a normal sized coal power unit (typically 500MWe), combined with load following, could allow for a distributed generation model.
I know, the risk of sodium fires... Sodium fires aren't like hydrogen explosions (fukushima), they burn slower / cooler. The first BN-600 started operating when I was still a baby (early 1970s), so they know a thing or two about operating them safely.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any costs of the nuclear solution being mentioned besides the inital investment.

1. what about cost of fuel supply? except IFR that feeds on depleted uranium and nuclear waste, there will be fuel costs. Uranium is running out in the next decades.
2. what about cost of running a nuclear power plant for 60 years? 10% downtime is mentioned, I assume for yearly maintenance. What are the figures? What were the cost of retrofits.
3. what are the costs of decomissioning a nuclear power plant?
4. what are the costs of storing nuclear waste?

One might need to make assumptions (esp. 3. and 4., where current experiences are painful), but not sweep these under the rug. These costs must be included in a model pitting solar against nuclear.

I haven't seen any costs of the nuclear solution being mentioned besides the inital investment.

1. what about cost of fuel supply? except IFR that feeds on depleted uranium and nuclear waste, there will be fuel costs. Uranium is running out in the next decades.
2. what about cost of running a nuclear power plant for 60 years? 10% downtime is mentioned, I assume for yearly maintenance. What are the figures? What were the cost of retrofits.

One might need to make assumptions (esp. 3. and 4., where current experiences are painful), but not sweep these under the rug. These costs must be included in a model pitting solar against nuclear.

The O&M costs of nuclear power are very low ~$0.01-$0.02/kWh but those costs are contingent on a capacity factor of ~90% and the cost of maintaining a nuclear plant do not decline significantly by operating it less. So a lower capacity factor yields a significantly higher cost per kWh.

http://web.ornl.gov/sci/nsed/outreach/presentation/2006/Belles_Seminar_R1.pdf

The costs were discussed a while back...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8078-Nuclear-power/page22

I support nuclear power and I think we need to keep most of our existing fleet on-line. The risk of generating that power with fossil fuels is greater than the risk posed by a nuclear accident. However, with solar as cheap as it is any further investment in new nuclear plants is foolish. I fully expect Vogtle and VC summer to be the last plants built in the US.

In reply to VolkerP:

I haven't seen any costs of the nuclear solution being mentioned besides the initial investment.

For each 250 tons of mined Uranium, without any reprocessing (once through) only one ton is fissioned, about 24 tons is U-238/U-235/Pu/Am/Cu in spent nuclear fuel plus another 224 tons of depleted uranium. Even with maximum reprocessing just another ton of uranium gets fissioned.

So for each 25 tons of nuclear fuel for LWR/BWR reactors, 24 tons is available for IFR usage, and another 224 tons depleted uranium is made.

Plus per the usual, you need to watch your anti nuclear biased sources. We are arguably running out of known cheap uranium reserves. Extracting Uranium from seawater for usage would provide the world for 10000 to 100000 years worth of Uranium supplies (depending on nuclear uranium penetration), using Thorium instead would provide the same supplies using cheap, known, land mines, so adding both together plus yet unmapped Thorium reserves would add up to over a quarter of a million years. Plus if Uranium demand goes up, investment on prospection for more cheap/intermediate uranium sources go up and new reserves will be found.
Since IFR reactors are 100 times more efficient in using Uranium, even a 10 fold increase in Uranium costs wouldn't be a problem.

Please go read honest nuclear material, not the hatchet job anti nuclear text books. New light water nuclear powerplants have less than 3% downtime, and only planned ones. Greenpeace focus only on the worst 5% nuclear power plants in the world. They don't even try to report on the median cases.

IFR power plants have the tremendous advantage of not needing all of the complex steam related safety systems, plus it operates at close to ambient pressure. So most of the complex maintenance LWR/BWR costs just aren't there. IFR plants are normally built with two reactors for each turbine, which essentially means 0% downtime (at least one reactor is operating at all times).
There are very few IFR nuclear power plants operating, if the world starts building those by the dozens, economies of scale would bring down costs.

Depends on your assumptions of what radiation levels need to come down to.
Most nuclear safety codes consider radiation levels found around the clock in Denver-CO or Swiss Alps to be unsafe. That's the vast majority of the decommissioning cost.
Until your kind of irrational anti nuclear types continues to dominate the nuclear debate nuclear power will be unnecessarily expensive.
Chernobyl, Fukushima and Three Mile Island actually are proving and have proved that nuclear cancer risks (from chronic low doses of radiation) are at least an order of magnitude lower than predicted. After the Iodine has decayed (a few months) the real risk is ingestion of nuclear radioactivity sources, catching cancer from low intensity Alpha, Beta, Gamma radiation sources outside your body have shown to be just as low as the equivalent doses from sun radiation, cosmic rays and radon (that we are exposed to everywhere in the world).
People are living in the Chernobyl area for years. They claim no cancers. There is strong evidence that those levels of radiation strengthen the body's anti radiation safety equipment, leading to lower cancer rates instead of higher (in radiation doses found right now in the closer villages to Chernobyl).

IFR reduces nuclear waste half lives from thousands of years to 30 years max. And most (like 75%) of the waste has less than 5 year half lives. Rule of thumb, 10 half lives its stable.
So IFR fission products reduces waste half lives from thousands of years down to 50 years for 75% of the waste and about 300 years for the remaining.
After each half live, half of the heat/radiation is gone, so for 30 year half lives, after 60 years 75% of the heat is gone.
So using IFR power plants reduces the spent nuclear fuel storage costs greatly.
1 - At first the nuclear spent fuel from low efficiency water cooled / gas cooled nukes go to the IFR plants, in this stage a single ton of spent nuclear fuel provides over a billion USD worth of electricity
2 - IFR plants fission the plutonium, Americium, Curium and Berkelium which are considered the really bad nuclear waste, IFR reactors keep fissioning that nasty stuff until its all gone
3 - When it's all said and done (let's say 40 years later), since mined uranium produced 100x more electricity from already mined uranium, it means a reduction of nuclear waste per TWh of electricity produced of at least 100 fold.

Volker you need to actually learn honest data about nuclear, not the hatchet job manipulations made by green peace and the like. Where are the radiation deaths from Fukushima ? Where are the cancer cases ? The anti nuclear types need to prove their claims or shut up, instead of just raising fear, uncertainty and doubt and using that as some kind of hard science argument.

There's no sweeping it under the rug Volker. France produces electricity in very large scales, where are the cancer cases, where are the deaths ?
If people without a nuclear degree were forbidden from even expressing an opinion, this whole debate would have been settled pro nuclear decades ago.

- - - Updated - - -

The figure of 90% capacity factor on nuclear is about right: Nuclear Energy Institute - U.S. Nuclear Power Plants
True for the average of existing nuclear power plant fleet.
Of the aprox 400 nukes operating over 300 are Gen II designs. They were designed/construction started before the nuclear industry got serious about costs, capacity factors, maintenance costs.
If you look at the stats for post Chernobyl reactors the story is radically different.
Plus the current fleet is 90+% water cooled, solid fuel reactors, that are known to be expensive to build and moderately expensive to maintain.
If you look at those stats for 20 year or less operating reactors the stats are better than 5% downtime. With a few Gen II reactors operating in that range also.