Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number of Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not just as an owner, but as a stockholder, ramping up to have enough service centers is the biggest challenge I see the company facing this year. It's monumental: not just the real estate involved, but consider all the costs in ramping up the employees (especially techs), spare parts, and more. But hey: you're lucky to have three in a relatively small state! Colorado has ONE -- and it serves all of New Mexico and, IIRC, Montana. For me, my choice is to drive 5+ hours to Denver -- or similar distances to SLC or Phoenix. Assuming my car drives....

Not just as an owner, but as a stockholder, ramping up to have enough service centers is the biggest challenge I see the company facing this year. It's monumental: not just the real estate involved, but consider all the costs in ramping up the employees (especially techs), spare parts, and more. But hey: you're lucky to have three in a relatively small state! Colorado has ONE -- and it serves all of New Mexico and, IIRC, Montana. For me, my choice is to drive 5+ hours to Denver -- or similar distances to SLC or Phoenix. Assuming my car drives....

Wow, I can't even fathom driving 5 hours just for service. I was complaining to myself about driving 20 minutes. This support model cant be successful at a high volume once the M3 comes out. I just booked my first service appointment and to get another Tesla loaner, appointments were a MONTH out. Granted, I could have gotten an ICE loaner, but now I am spoiled :)

Reactions: ThisIsTrue

I share your concern. One interesting future possibility:
Tesla may use autonomous driving to service its fleet and help with stress of Model 3 growth, says Tesla executive [Updated]

I agree with the concern that the service centers may well limit Tesla's ability to deliver and service the steadily growing fleet of Model S and Model X, not to mention the veritable hordes of Model 3s that will arrive someday. And I suspect that as more and more people own the Teslas, a smaller and smaller percentage will be the "early adopter" types that are tolerant of Tesla's being a new company -- that will get old fast. So spare parts availability will become a much bigger problem, plus staffing and training and physical work space, etc.

In MA, there are two service centers, both within a few miles of Boston. And these two centers also service Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. I hope Tesla has somebody good working on this problem!

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
I was seeing how many service centers were in my region and I only saw 3 in NY total. So do people in upstate NY drive 4-5 hours to bring their car in?

I live in Ithaca, NY. The service center closest to me is in Mt Kisco, well over 200 miles away.

Before I even considered purchasing the car I had inquired about service, and I was told about the rangers coming out to me, and that if the car needed to be seen at a service center, Tesla would transport the car on a trailer, and bring me a loaner. At one point, briefly, when Tesla changed their policy on this they attempted to charge me over $600 for a trip to the SC, but eventually backed-off, and acknowledged that I am grandfathered in for my P85DL.

However...

I have a reservation for a Model 3, but I won't be buying it unless there is a service center a heck of a lot closer at the time I'd be ordering it. The reason is that it would not be reasonable for me to expect Tesla to transport the Model 3 at no charge, since their policy has changed. And I don't have the time or inclination to have to drive it on an eight-hour or so round trip myself any time it needs something, and every year for annual service. I know many people here in upstate NY feel similarly.

Tesla is going to have to seriously build out the capacity of the service centers anyway if they are going to successfully service all the cars they plan to have on the road in a few years. I'm hoping to see a new service center or two upstate in the not too distant future.