Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number One shortcoming of the supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Number one shortfall IMO is no supercharger in Charleston, SC. With a million residents in Metro Charleston this has to be the largest population center still w/o a Supercharger.

FWIW I have used dozens of SC locations across the southeast and have never had a problem finding a restroom nearby. I do tend to drive during the day and sleep at night so this could be a problem for those who drive overnight.

When I planned a trip to Charleston last year, I was surprised not to find a supercharger spot there. I had to stay at this hotel in order to charge: TownePlace Suites by Marriott Charleston Mt. Pleasant.

Possible now that San Antonio proper (over 1.5 million, w/o the larger metro) finally got one last year.

There are a lot of near-1 million pop metros in the country, though, and Charleston is only listed at just over 800K here. ((#75 on the list))

Yeah I really should have said “nearly” a million residents. Latest estimates I’ve heard for the 2020 count is around 900k. Charleston Metro is growing very fast and will exceed a million soon. To your second point, I do wonder how many 1 million (or even near 1 million) pop metro areas there are in the US without a single supercharger. Looking at the coverage map I can’t imagine there are many.

Reactions: SammichLover
Yeah I really should have said “nearly” a million residents. Latest estimates I’ve heard for the 2020 count is around 900k. Charleston Metro is growing very fast and will exceed a million soon. To your second point, I do wonder how many 1 million (or even near 1 million) pop metro areas there are in the US without a single supercharger. Looking at the coverage map I can’t imagine there are many.
On a lark I did one spot check, at #54 Worcester doesn't have one in name but there's one not that far outside its boundary. Nothing like the very obvious hole in the network that is Charleston.

Most likely there's been permitting issues, that's often driven by local politics. That stuff can take a lot of time. I see you're active in the relevant Southeast community thread. Has there been any signs of attempts at permitting? In San Antonia there was a lot of effort going on over years to make it happen.

Using the power of the interwebs, I answered my own question. The Charleston MSA is currently the 74th largest in the US. Honolulu, HI (#56) currently has no supercharger. New Orleans, LA (#45) is a maybe. Slidell, LA is 30 miles from NOLA and the nearest supercharger. Other than those two, every other MSA in the top 75 and many below that have at least one supercharger.

• Love
Reactions: SammichLover
Using the power of the interwebs, I answered my own question. The Charleston MSA is currently the 74th largest in the US. Honolulu, HI (#56) currently has no supercharger. New Orleans, LA (#45) is a maybe. Slidell, LA is 30 miles from NOLA and the nearest supercharger. Other than those two, every other MSA in the top 75 and many below that have at least one supercharger.
Honolulu is quite understandable since you can lap the island a few times and still get home. ;) Big Island is closer to a case, but population is way lower. At some point I guess an Urban SC makes sense in Honolulu.

Yup. Very solid argument that Charleston is the the current leading edge of "needs one, but construction hasn't started" in the US.

Only challengers would be out in the few remaining gaps in the wide open states, and that's not population related.

That this is ranks for you as the "largest inconvenience" really speaks to how smooth the overall experience is.
No doubt, the trip was extremely convenient. However, my style is absolutely overnight or even straight-through day and night driving. Between closed malls, seemingly random placement in "closed at 8pm" retail areas and at least one hotel parking lot that Covid policies dictate no public bathroom facilities, something as simple as peeing was a chore.

For sure, two stops were perfectly convenient. 1 in a 24hr gas station parking lot (really made the most sense) and one in Florida that is in a middle of the median on the freeway rest stop, food court and gas station.

The rest of the stops required playing frogger across pedestrian non-friendly roads, walking 1/4 mile to an open establishment (on a full bladder, not cool) or in one case, asking a tire shop if we can utilize their toilet.

Regardless of all that, it was a good trip.

Before the lockdown I didn't have much issue because most every supercharger is next to at least one 24/7 restaurant like Denny's. Plus quite a few supercharges in the PNW area are near outlet malls. So it was pretty easy to find a place to pee.

With the lockdown I really haven't gone anywhere. Partly I haven't because there isn't anywhere to go, and secondly there is concern of the lack of bathroom access.

I have a pretty good on the road bladder. But, the need to go can be pretty bad if my bodies GPS says I'm close to where I normally go. :p

We've learned to stop at rest stops or regular gas stations rather than rely on chucky cheese by the surpercharger. Unless you like peeing at a chucky cheese of course :) Damn strip clubs charge you to use the bathroom.

Made a 6,100 mile trip last summer and a lot of the time it is a pain to go in search of a random bathroom you may or may not have access to. I can't see an EVs only station ever having bathroom facilities.

I'd settle for directions to the nearest restroom(s) we are welcomed to use because Tesla made arrangements with the nearby businesses.

Last edited:
I travel a lot in rural spots where the chargers are off the freeway at the rear of a Holiday Inn Express or in the back of some other weird place with no toilets. Luckily in most instances the fenced in Tesla transformer bank provides more than adequate shelter.
Yep, and keep your eyes open because many of them have cameras in the area. :) Just so you know...

and at least one hotel parking lot that Covid policies dictate no public bathroom facilities
True, I can definitely see restroom availability becoming more an issue since 'Rona came to town. Even your alternatives are shrinking. I've been told, by someone out there doing long haul, that even a number truck stops are now requiring temp checks before entering now. Plus business hours are being reduced, and plenty of restaurants are still curbside only if they are open at all. So even previously plentiful fallback options are going to be harder to come by.

P.S. I'm not going to tell you not to, or "shame" you, I don't know your situation and such. However I will say personally I have chosen to purposely not to be road tripping right now even though I have the time and there is stuff out there to go to (I like hiking, happy to go to places without other people). By early March I'd already mentally written off the summer for road tripping, as sad as that made me.