Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All

Picking up my car hopefully 22nd, from Brent Cross

Need to get plates made up for my personalised reg.

I can go to my nearest service centre, which is West Drayton, but would rather just order them online and get the sent to work, far far easier.

Do I need to get any specific type/thickness/material ? Seen something on the forums re metal plates ?

Any good websites that will make a plate that fits in perfectly, into the existing holder ?

R

Mehul

I’m not a fan of the stick on vinyl ones. They do look quite clean, especially the front one on a white car, but there’s just something a little bit cheap looking about them. Each to their own obviously.

I’m going to have a play around with them when my car arrives. I’m thinking the first thing that needs to change is that big clunky plastic mount. Maybe just the plates stuck directly on.

I don’t think I’m a fan of the new green stripe either. That may have to go.

As a temporary fix I used some old personal plates from my Prius. The holes were about right on the rear and the front wasn’t too bad.
my 2020 plate holders were a two piece abortion. For both front and rear I removed the outer section and fixed my plates to the inner.
I haven’t bothered to replace them yet but when I wash the car, it really irks me how much water hides up and dribbles out from behind them hours after I’ve dried and polished!
i must revisit adhesive ones.

Dear All

Picking up my car hopefully 22nd, from Brent Cross

Need to get plates made up for my personalised reg.

I can go to my nearest service centre, which is West Drayton, but would rather just order them online and get the sent to work, far far easier.

Do I need to get any specific type/thickness/material ? Seen something on the forums re metal plates ?

Any good websites that will make a plate that fits in perfectly, into the existing holder ?

R

Mehul
Regular Acrylic Plates fit both the old and new Number Plate mount of the UK Model 3's. It is a little snug compared to the metal that comes with the car, but all the clips go in with no issues. 6 months with Acrylic and I've not had any issues!

One week into ownership, I removed the rear numberplate holder to consider my options and clean behind it
- only find a hidden 10mm dent in the bodywork -

thanks Tesla, great quality control as always!

Moderator comment - see following posts for discussion on legality of these plates

I've just switched over to my personalised registration plates.

Plates purchased from UK Metal Plates (UK Metal Plates - high quality, road-legal, metal number plates).

On my 2021 car, the plates fit in to the mounts as a direct replacement to the Tesla ones. Not suggesting removing the mounts wouldn't look better, just for now it took 10 seconds to change them :)

IMG_1045.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: redlegacy
Just FYI, pressed metal number plates are illegal on UK cars registered after 21st March 2001. I’m not trying to be a killjoy, y’all can do whatever you want as far as I’m concerned. But on a thread about number plates, just thought it was worth mentioning cus it can be a £1000 fine and no one wants that.

Just FYI, pressed metal number plates are illegal on UK cars registered after 21st March 2001. I’m not trying to be a killjoy, y’all can do whatever you want as far as I’m concerned. But on a thread about number plates, just thought it was worth mentioning cus it can be a £1000 fine and no one wants that.
Can you point me to the thread please? These plates seem to meet all the requirements.

Also from their website "We guarantee that our metal number plates are 100% road-legal. They possess the highly debated retro-reflectivity property and therefore can be read clearly by flashing speed cameras. Our plates also contain our DVLA-registered postcode and BSAU145d mark, although they are applied user laser technology to make them less obtrusive." although clearly they would say that.

I think raised is ok but they have tightened up on the regs

They need to have "BS AU 145e " marked on the plate.
They are marked as such.

Looks like their website is out of date, as that mentions BS AU 145d accreditation but the plates are marked BS AU 145e.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I went past six Police cars today alone with 'illegal plates' (one Police Motorway Range Rover following me for half a mile) in a 200 mile round trip through several UK counties.

Nobody gives a *sugar* about illegal plates, so long as they're ANPR readable.

Police have way more stuff and paperwork to worry about.

I went past six Police cars today alone with 'illegal plates' (one Police Motorway Range Rover following me for half a mile) in a 200 mile round trip through several UK counties.

Yes, I think the only time plates come into question is at the time of MOT.

Reactions: MrBadger and PITA
Can you point me to the thread please? These plates seem to meet all the requirements.

Also from their website "We guarantee that our metal number plates are 100% road-legal. They possess the highly debated retro-reflectivity property and therefore can be read clearly by flashing speed cameras. Our plates also contain our DVLA-registered postcode and BSAU145d mark, although they are applied user laser technology to make them less obtrusive." although clearly they would say that.

Please, please, please don’t shoot the messenger, I don’t make the rules. I’m only mentioning it so everyone knows. I think the plates look great and don’t blame anyone for wanting to have them on the car.

Below are the current guidelines for BS AU 145d and BS AU 145e.
The issue with metal plates is, apparently, with the new flexibility test. The plates, if bent, need to return to their original shape.

Some online retailers have either not updated their guidance in line with current legislation or are simply just trying to make money out of people who just want to make their cars look cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, please, please don’t shoot the messenger, I don’t make the rules. I’m only mentioning it so everyone knows. I think the plates look great and don’t blame anyone for wanting to have them on the car.

Below are the current guidelines for BS AU 145d and BS AU 145e.
The issue with metal plates is, apparently, with the new flexibility test. The plates, if bent, need to return to their original shape.

Some online retailers have either not updated their guidance in line with current legislation or are simply just trying to make money out of people who just want to make their cars look cool.

Definitely not shooting the messenger, glad to have the discussion.

The pressed metal is thicker and less bendy than the original Tesla one, so not sure how that’ll hold up. Interestingly the Tesla one has no BS marking at all, so isn’t strictly legal. Actually that’s not true, I checked again and it does have the mark albeit so badly printed it’s just an unreadable blob.

I’d still have got them to make me up a set, but Brent Cross said they couldn’t and my “local” service centre is a 70 mile round trip.

That why I went with these and was surprised they fit, so thought others here would like to know :)

It seems (to me) it’s legal but then I’m not the one who’ll need convincing!

Last edited:

In Hampshire we have loads of dark grey tinted plates, illegal spacing, tiny plates stuck on, police couldn't give a ...