Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Subwoofer Install with pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks for this! Did it and it's exactly what I wanted without sacrificing sound. I agree, I don't think people will even realize it's there. +1000

If you want a clean look here is what you can do. I ask for your forgiveness ahead of time, but the results speak for themselves:

Go out to Walmart and get a roll of black automotive fabric. Cut out a piece that is just roughly bigger than the NVX and basically wrap it around it, tucking in the sides with a few strips of adhesive velco. The fabric is porous enough to not block any sound, but the fabric is literally a perfect match for the factory fabric. Voila, no one will know you have a sub back there. And it is way less austintacious than any of the grills I looked at.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37729-Subwoofer-Installation-in-Model-S

If you want a clean look here is what you can do. I ask for your forgiveness ahead of time, but the results speak for themselves:

Go out to Walmart and get a roll of black automotive fabric. Cut out a piece that is just roughly bigger than the NVX and basically wrap it around it, tucking in the sides with a few strips of adhesive velco. The fabric is porous enough to not block any sound, but the fabric is literally a perfect match for the factory fabric. Voila, no one will know you have a sub back there. And it is way less austintacious than any of the grills I looked at.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37729-Subwoofer-Installation-in-Model-S

Overall, I like this idea. However, what kind of protection does it afford? Aesthetically, this looks great. Do you still put any ole ugly grill under the carpet over the subwoofer to protect it from anything you put in the trunk? Especially if you have rear child seats, how do you protect from on of the kids accidentally kicking the speaker while getting situated? Or God forbid you put something in the trunk that slides when you turn.

Overall, I like this idea. However, what kind of protection does it afford? Aesthetically, this looks great. Do you still put any ole ugly grill under the carpet over the subwoofer to protect it from anything you put in the trunk? Especially if you have rear child seats, how do you protect from on of the kids accidentally kicking the speaker while getting situated? Or God forbid you put something in the trunk that slides when you turn.

I guess you could put a grill underneath. I haven't had much occasion for things of an oblong shape sliding around back there, but I can see your point. Keep in mind, at least the JBL I used has a pretty tough cone since it has a pretty wide excursion range. I wouldn't suggest throwing things at it regularly, but the occasional stray childs foot or tipped over grocery bag isn't going to do anything, especially with the fabric over it. We do have a rule about putting our feet up there and I have a camera to keep an eye on them so really no issues thus far.

Thanks! I can follow instructions well, so wiring up the subwoofer and amp should not be a problem (I installed heated seats and did a HID upgrade on my 4Runner), but working with MDF and fiberglass to fabricate an enclosure is something I have zero experience with. Thus, I will be going with the NVX prefab unit rather than building my own for a different sub. I'm not an audiophile, so I'm sure this will be plenty good enough for me. I just wish they had the option for which cubby you wanted to install in.

Thanks! I can follow instructions well, so wiring up the subwoofer and amp should not be a problem (I installed heated seats and did a HID upgrade on my 4Runner), but working with MDF and fiberglass to fabricate an enclosure is something I have zero experience with. Thus, I will be going with the NVX prefab unit rather than building my own for a different sub. I'm not an audiophile, so I'm sure this will be plenty good enough for me. I just wish they had the option for which cubby you wanted to install in.

Any interest in having a box built or maybe just having a pre-fab form sent to you and you could build from there? I ask because fiberglass isn't that hard to master on this level and MDF is just wood that smells bad when you burn it.

If a box is built, I would imagine it shouldn't be hard to mount a JL subwoofer in there and then use the same components as the NVM kit. The only area I am not aware of is how to tune the amp, but I could play around with it.

If a box is built, I would imagine it shouldn't be hard to mount a JL subwoofer in there and then use the same components as the NVM kit. The only area I am not aware of is how to tune the amp, but I could play around with it.

Amp tuning is kinda a preference thing in a lot of ways. You want your gain down enough so that there isnt distortion but up enough so that it still hits hard. Then adjusting your crossover, I try to have as little overlap as possible so nothing higher than 120-150hz playing out of the sub. This creates a cleaner bass so that the sub isn't trying to play frequencies it doesn't need to while it is excursioning at the lower tones.

A few questions, as I'm in the middle of installing this kit. Warning, some of these might be a bit dumb...!

1. Basic connectivity, since the videos and instructions really don't go into any detail for a novice:
- Fat power cords + & - from the battery to the NVX amp - easy
- Tab the blue OEM sub cables in the dash (I have the upgraded sound), and route the the LC2i (left input??)
- Run power to the LC2i - no cables included for this as far as I can see
- LC2i Bass output to the L & R NVX input
- Remote cable from NVX to under the dash somewhere for adjustments
- Speaker cable from NVX speaker out to sub

The bit that's confusing me is the LC2i; there's another length of cable (cheap, silver bell wire), not sure what that's for, and the power for the LC2i; I assume I let it auto-detect the input over the phono's, so there's no need to tap a switched supply?

Running the cables is easy, knowing what plugs into what isn't obvious for a first-timer, and the videos tend to gloss over that. I nice, clear wiring diagram would be very helpful!

Thanks...

A few questions, as I'm in the middle of installing this kit. Warning, some of these might be a bit dumb...!

1. Basic connectivity, since the videos and instructions really don't go into any detail for a novice:
- Fat power cords + & - from the battery to the NVX amp - easy
- Tab the blue OEM sub cables in the dash (I have the upgraded sound), and route the the LC2i (left input??)
- Run power to the LC2i - no cables included for this as far as I can see
- LC2i Bass output to the L & R NVX input
- Remote cable from NVX to under the dash somewhere for adjustments
- Speaker cable from NVX speaker out to sub

The bit that's confusing me is the LC2i; there's another length of cable (cheap, silver bell wire), not sure what that's for, and the power for the LC2i; I assume I let it auto-detect the input over the phono's, so there's no need to tap a switched supply?

Running the cables is easy, knowing what plugs into what isn't obvious for a first-timer, and the videos tend to gloss over that. I nice, clear wiring diagram would be very helpful!

Thanks...

Does this help Pete?
Subwoofer Installation in Model S

Yes! I was just trying to great the same thing in Visio, but this helps. So from that graphic, what's not shown is:

- Power supply to the LC2i, but I think that's easy, best practice is to tap the same power source and ground as the amp (I think), so I'll need to pull that through the firewall
- The remote turn-on for the LC2i - I only see one terminal on the NVX amp, but 2 on the LC2i (Remote in and out); so I'm not sure how that's wired?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my attempt at a schematic; just that remote wire that's not obvious to me, but I assume that is the purpose of the silver bell/speaker wire that was included in the connection kit.

circuit diagram.jpg

Let's just say that if I'm ever in the DFW area, how many beers do I need to bribe you with to do this upgrade to my car?! Your attention to detail is amazing! Though considering I'm one of your customers, I already knew this! :biggrin:

We'll see how today goes, could be a lot of beers! I think I have it all figured out now, aside from the tapping into the factory sub wires, I assume they just go into the L + & - respectively on the LC2i, and the right inputs are ignored, but I'm not sure.

In case it helps anyone else in future, below is the final wiring diagram for a Model S w/premium audio. For me, the most difficult thing was getting the panel off below the steering wheel (no real trick, just a plastic pry and brute force), and then dealing with all the wires; I'd already used the space for all my radar detector wires and speaker. finally, wiring everything into the amp at the back of the frunk cubby required me to bend in ways I no longer bend.

I'm still messing with the settings; so will reserve judgement. During set-up, I noticed that my front right speaker(s) (if I move the speaker nav all the way to the top-right) sound like an AM radio, so I think they might be blown. I don't know when this happened; the SC worked on the passenger door a few weeks ago, so it could be a lose connection. Either way, it's nothing to do with me, I wasn't over that side, but I might have to prove that! Overall though, the sub appears to add a good amount of depth to the audio, without being boomy and OTT.

circuit diagram.jpg

The guys who developed it will do the install. Not quite Orange County, but not that far. They did mine, very professional job, took about 5 hours. There are a few places to eat within walking distance. They will let you check out the progress as they go.

Sonic Electronix
9631 Topanga Canyon Pl, Chatsworth, CA 91311
(661) 670-2620
(661) 257-9993

The guys who developed it will do the install. Not quite Orange County, but not that far. They did mine, very professional job, took about 5 hours. There are a few places to eat within walking distance. They will let you check out the progress as they go.

Sonic Electronix
(661) 670-2620
(661) 257-9993
Thank you. How much was the total?

Sonic Electronix
(661) 670-2620
(661) 257-9993
I contacted them and unfortunately they do not install the system anymore.... Does anyone know any other shops in LA or OC that is known for the installs?