Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that I hope that the automotive journalism world picks up on is how vociferous a defense actual owners of the Model S are making for the vehicle. I think that says a lot for both the general quality and exceptional experience that the Model S provides for its drivers.
While I don't think everything is rosy for all Model S drivers, I do think Tesla should focus on what EV's do best in all future PR and marketing activities.

Tesla is getting the maximum out of its $0 advertising budget! This lets them invest in Superchargers, future product, and stores instead, which is great for Telsa owners and future owners.

And I wouldn't want Tesla to get a polished marketing face. I'm enjoying the time for which that doesn't happen. Those companies are so utterly boring. Tesla like GM? No thanks.

I think it turned out good because Tesla got back the initiative, offence. Now Mr Broder and NYT is trying to save face with defensive articles while others make fun of the review http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/02/14/inspired-by-nyt-tesla-test-here-are-my-consumer-trials-of-some-products/

Now that CNN and other news reporters, not to mention other customers are making this "Broder" trip the issue has mainly shifted from range anxiety to poor journalism from the NYT.
Things like this will happen every now and then either by malice, incompetence or bad luck but the first cut is the deepest so anything from now on will be thought of as just another "Broder".

34948984.jpg

I think it turned out good because Tesla got back the initiative, offence. Now Mr Broder and NYT is trying to save face with defensive articles while others make fun of the review http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/02/14/inspired-by-nyt-tesla-test-here-are-my-consumer-trials-of-some-products/

It is getting interesting now these articles are coming out. Taking some opportunity for NYT-bashing while they can, and Tesla get the benefit.

The pro-EV commentators are doing a fabulous job of defending against the petrol-head commentators. Seems to be the petrol-heads are backing off after Elon's post.

Many months ago prior to my receiving my S, I read a thread here discussing the effects on the battery of doing a Range charge. Someone who seemed to know what he was talking about, indicated that doing a Range charge was not a problem for the battery PROVIDED that the car was driven following the charge. Problems were only created if you left the battery with a Range charge for an extended period of time. So you shouldn't do a Range charge overnight and then just leave it for later use. The idea that Broder didn't do a Range charge because it would harm the battery seems to have gone unchallenged. Can we get technical clarification on this?

Many months ago prior to my receiving my S, I read a thread here discussing the effects on the battery of doing a Range charge. Someone who seemed to know what he was talking about, indicated that doing a Range charge was not a problem for the battery PROVIDED that the car was driven following the charge. Problems were only created if you left the battery with a Range charge for an extended period of time. So you shouldn't do a Range charge overnight and then just leave it for later use. The idea that Broder didn't do a Range charge because it would harm the battery seems to have gone unchallenged. Can we get technical clarification on this?

So on top of purposely doing everything else wrong, he studied the TMC forum and learned that he shouldn't do a range charge?

It was my understanding that range charges do decrease battery longevity more than a standard charge (even if you drive it right away) but it is very minimal. It is still why Tesla recommends a standard charge though because if you don't need that extra 25 miles of range on a standard day then there is no reason to charge the cells that much.

Broder wrote that his point was to test if the car was "normal use" practical. In the original article he wrote, "my feet were freezing" and "my knuckles were turning white," and described warming his hands on a cup of coffee.

65 degrees is a very comfortable temperature. Most people driving in the winter already have their winter coats on and it's not like you take that off when you get in the car. When I drive in sub freezing temperatures, I find that anything above 70 degrees gets unbearably hot once the cabin has been heated up, given that I'm still wearing my heavy winter coat. Often times I'll turn it down to 65 or 66 degrees once I've warmed up. Was Broder driving in shorts and a T-shirt? That's hardly a real-world scenario for the dead of winter in the Northeast.

Somewhat negative article, with comments about having to keep the heater off and wear a parka.
Jalopnik claims 13 hrs needed in the Model S, vs 8 hr in a gas car. Apple maps says 437 mi from DC to Boston, 8 hr by car. Assuming you drove a Model S at 62 mph and made two charge stops for one hour each it would be 7+2= 9 hours total. If I were driving a gas car I still would want to make the one hour stops to eat anyway.

GSP

Somewhat negative article, with comments about having to keep the heater off and wear a parka.

That is completely untrue. I've done a bunch of winter road trips now, and have never had to switch off the heater. Range Mode is all you need to do.

If it's drawing 1 kW on the highway it's going to have a range impact on a three hour trip of about 10 miles. You could gain more than that just by slowing down incrementally. There is no reason to freeze your butt in this car.

They've also faked the train booking screen bit.

They show a $99 train taking 7h40m. This set off my BS sensor. The Acela takes 6h40m but the cheapest ticket I can see Monday is $279. Even 1 month out it is $167.

(That 6h40m is twice the time a French TGV takes to cover the same distance, BTW)

65 degrees is a very comfortable temperature. Most people driving in the winter already have their winter coats on and it's not like you take that off when you get in the car. When I drive in sub freezing temperatures, I find that anything above 70 degrees gets unbearably hot once the cabin has been heated up, given that I'm still wearing my heavy winter coat. Often times I'll turn it down to 65 or 66 degrees once I've warmed up. Was Broder driving in shorts and a T-shirt? That's hardly a real-world scenario for the dead of winter in the Northeast.

With all due respect, I don't think that's an accurate representation. Yes, when I drive short distances, I leave my coat on, for convenience. However, I don't want to wear my bulky winter coat when driving 2-3 hours. The Broder piece was wrong...wrong...and more wrong, but to generalize the level of temperature comfort for all drivers based on your preferences isn't right either. I have found that the temperature setting in my MS doesn't "feel" as warm as the car reports. I drove for about an hour yesterday with my cabin temp set to 71 F and had my seat warmer set to 2. It was 30ish outside. I felt much colder than 71 (more like lower 60s). Not very scientific, but just my opinion. White knuckles, absolutely not...but 71 degree comfort...not so much. Disclosure: I'm a Tesla fanatic and long in TSLA.

but to generalize the level of temperature comfort for all drivers based on your preferences isn't right either.

Agreed... why can't we just accept that people are different and what's 'cool' for one person may be 'frigid' for another?

Geez guys, you make it seem like I was imposing my beliefs on everyone. Haha. I didn't even generalize. Notice how I spoke in the first person when speaking about my own experience as a winter driver. Just providing one view point, and agreeing with the sentiment shared by most people that have written in this thread that 65 degrees is hardly "white knuckles" cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.