Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYTimes blunders again... columnist says 200-300 mile EV battery nonexistant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article:

Which also suggests its drawback: the Volt only gets about 40 miles on pure battery power alone before it switches to its gasoline-powered engine.
It seems like Nocera and Dallett think the Volt range is determined by the battery chemistry. Perhaps they even think the Volt uses a single battery instead of a battery pack, whatever that even means. The Volt's electric range is determined by the type and number of cells GM chose to put in the Volt's pack, the same as any other plug-in electric vehicle.

We could totally blow their minds by pointing out that a 9V battery is really a battery pack: multiple cells joined together in a convenient package. I just tweeted that tidbit. @tomsaxton

Tom,

This sounds like a job for Margaret Sullivan. She weighed in last time. She might be tempted to enter the fray again if you can point to some institutional bias . . .

Problems with Precisions and Judgement . . .

How many times is Tesla going to fall to "precision and judgement" failures on the part of the NYT?

From the article:

It seems like Nocera and Dallett think the Volt range is determined by the battery chemistry. Perhaps they even think the Volt uses a single battery instead of a battery pack, whatever that even means. The Volt's electric range is determined by the type and number of cells GM chose to put in the Volt's pack, the same as any other plug-in electric vehicle.

We could totally blow their minds by pointing out that a 9V battery is really a battery pack: multiple cells joined together in a convenient package. I just tweeted that tidbit. @tomsaxton

Truly a distinction without a difference. Ask her if she cares how many cells are in her iPhone, flashlight or boom box.
--

I was disappointed to see a laptop battery on a new model with only 3 cells. I wanted a 6 cell or 8 cell battery but the rest of the laptop was what i needed so I'll look for a replacement with more cells down the road when this battery degrades.

The discussion on Twitter between Andrew James and Lydia Dallett at the NYT about what a battery is is more than a little disheartening.

for what it's worth, I just stumbled on this thread now, and Lydia has removed those tweets. it would be nice if her apparent realization that her contentions were at odds with reality had been paired with some sort of correction from NYT to the original story.

On a hunch, I started looking up Joe Nocera's record on other matters... apparently he's written hackish opinion pieces promoting Keystone XL and promoting fracking. Bit of an agenda there.

NYT wouldn't even retract the infamous Judith Miller fabrications used to promote the Iraq War. They're not good about retracting errors.

Oh -- and the cost of the 85kwh battery in the Model S appears to be $13600, if the repeatedly leaked $160/kwh price is correct. Tesla's just charging huge markups on it because they can (and need the cash).