Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it was known to me that the left scroll wheel can be used to advance to the next song by clicking right on it, I discovered today, completely by accident, that you can click to the right and hold for a moment and it will cycle to the next station on your favorites list. I love this as it's one less thing I need to look at the screen for while driving!

I see now that it mentions it in the owner's manual where it says, "Push the scroll button to the right to go to the next/previous song, station, or favorite," but it was not clear at all to me that you have to click and hold for a second otherwise it will only advance songs (at least for streaming radio).

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Runt8 and GenSao
While it was known to me that the left scroll wheel can be used to advance to the next song by clicking right on it, I discovered today, completely by accident, that you can click to the right and hold for a moment and it will cycle to the next station on your favorites list. I love this as it's one less thing I need to look at the screen for while driving!

I see now that it mentions it in the owner's manual where it says, "Push the scroll button to the right to go to the next/previous song, station, or favorite," but it was not clear at all to me that you have to click and hold for a second otherwise it will only advance songs (at least for streaming radio).
Are you saying that it will navigate off of a streaming station by pushing and holding right (or left, I'm assuming)? I have several FM and streaming stations favorited, and it's hugely annoying to be able to switch between stations using the scroll wheel until you hit a streaming station, at which point pushing left does nothing and right goes to the next song instead of the next station.

Edit - Just tried this and it works! You're my new favorite person!

I'm probably going to get chastised for this, but I don't come to a complete stop before shifting from Drive to Reverse, or Reverse to Drive at low speeds. Not exactly an obvious "features/functions" that weren't obvious to me, but happy the vehicle allows me to do it.

Old habits die hard.

Idk why anyone would chastise you. It's not like you're doing any damage to the (nonexistent) transmission.

I actually find it annoying and potentially unsafe that the max speed for shifting is as low as it is (5mph), especially given that there's a half-second or so delay after attempting to shift before you get an audible cue that something might be wrong.

Even as short as it is, that delay makes it more likely that the driver will hit the accelerator expecting to go forward but actually accelerate rearward. Not good.

I guess I can understand that there may need to be some maximum speed above which shifting from R to D shouldn't be allowed, but 5mph is too low. Whatever the drawbacks may be of allowing a driver to shift into D while rolling backwards at 6mph, it's certainly FAR more dangerous for a driver to think they're in Drive when they're actually still in Reverse.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Idk why anyone would chastise you. It's not like you're doing any damage to the (nonexistent) transmission.

I actually find it annoying and potentially unsafe that the max speed for shifting is as low as it is (5mph), especially given that there's a half-second or so delay after attempting to shift before you get an audible cue that something might be wrong.

Even as short as it is, that delay makes it more likely that the driver will hit the accelerator expecting to go forward but actually accelerate rearward. Not good.

I guess I can understand that there may need to be some maximum speed above which shifting from R to D shouldn't be allowed, but 5mph is too low. Whatever the drawbacks may be of allowing a driver to shift into D while rolling backwards at 6mph, it's certainly FAR more dangerous for a driver to think they're in Drive when they're actually still in Reverse.

When I was driving the Zap Xebra, which had no built-in protections for the circuitry, I sometimes shifted from forward to reverse or the other way around, without coming to a complete stop. Someone on another forum told me that this could damage the motor, giving it juice in one direction while it's turning in the other direction. However, I'm sure the Teslas simply won't respond to driver commands that would damage the motor.

If you press and hold the park button, the parking brake is engaged and a PARK icon will show to the right of the ‘P’. You can hear a distinct noise when doing this even though the manual states that the parking brake is automatically engaged when the car is put into park. Not entirely sure what the difference is but the PARK icon does show up when doing this.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
If you press and hold the park button, the parking brake is engaged and a PARK icon will show to the right of the ‘P’. You can hear a distinct noise when doing this even though the manual states that the parking brake is automatically engaged when the car is put into park. Not entirely sure what the difference is but the PARK icon does show up when doing this.
I believe the hold causes all doors to unlock.

Is there an "Extra" Parking Brake Step or Not? Weird.....

TLDR - pressing and holding tries to tighten the brake calipers, which results in a whirring noise. Apparently the park icon being displayed is just a reassurance that the parking brake is on (not sure I believe that explanation but that's the conclusion that was come to).

Reactions: Big Earl
I believe that the "long-press Park" state is actually unlocking all the doors for convenience. Anything else makes no sense.
Admittedly the redundant display indications are confusing ... I'm guessing it involves regulatory directives (the second, red Park indication is a standardized symbol).
Tesla cars with their direct gear-driven drivetrains are similar to traditional manual-transmission vehicles (one "gear" with no clutch), so the Emergency Brake system also serves as a Parking Brake system.
In contrast, modern automatic transmissions feature a "Park" setting that mechanically locks the main drivetrain/driveshaft from turning. I don't think the Tesla rear-motor gearboxes feature a comparable mechanical lockup mechanism, but it's certainly possible to do.

Just tested this today- not sure if this applies to android, but with iOS, you need to have the Tesla app running to open the door. If you’ve recently restarted your phone, it won’t open the door until you open the app. Maybe obvious but I finally had the car not open for me after a month of flawless performance and it’s because I recently restarted my phone. It’s not enough to have the app installed- it must be running in the background

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8