Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oct. 17 - Model 3 Reveal Pt. 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad there's someone else like me who doesn't see any advantage with V2G.

I understand the powerwall, but there's no reason for V2G unless you plan to steal supercharger power and then bring it home.

People who use V2G will eventually find themselves in an emergency situation where they need to get somewhere in a hurry at an hour they weren't expecting and they are going to find a car with an unusable range in the garage (Nissan Leaf).

Smart charging is useful to avoid overloading the grid when everyone gets home from work at the same time. This would involve the charger communicating with the grid to even out spikes but it's not V2G.

Maybe I'm missing something that the powerwall doesn't provide...
I'm thinking V2H is the selling point. At a Tesla store, you could buy PV panels, however many powerwalls you need for your average nightly load, and a big battery pack on wheels you can use instead of a backup generator. V2G might be economically viable too, but it really depends on the region (utility + transmission costs would need to be substantially more than generation + distribution).

I'm thinking V2H is the selling point. At a Tesla store, you could buy PV panels, however many powerwalls you need for your average nightly load, and a big battery pack on wheels you can use instead of a backup generator. V2G might be economically viable too, but it really depends on the region (utility + transmission costs would need to be substantially more than generation + distribution).
Here's JB on the matter
JB Straubel Talks About V2G And EV Battery Storage - Gas 2

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
announcement 2 was very unimpressed. I was expecting a lot more like a lot of other folks.
Like powerwall 2 which is wireless charging and a electrical backup for the whole house.

if you were expecting powerwall, you weren't paying attention. they've already said tesla/solar city announcement is the 28th. that's when you'll see powerwall related things.

announcement 2 was very unimpressed. I was expecting a lot more like a lot of other folks.
Like powerwall 2 which is wireless charging and a electrical backup for the whole house.
The Tesla announcement this week was never promoted as being about the Powerwall. I do not understand why you would have expected that.

In another thread about the Tesla announcement this week you wrote:
What about those TPS reports?! Unggghhh.
Tesla Production Sending of model 3s
I was depressed at the part 2. So was my wife. Expecting so much more.

So in this thread you say you were expecting something about Tesla Powerwall, and in another thread you say something completely different that you were expecting, which I don't even understand.