Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oct. 17 - Model 3 Reveal Pt. 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
precisely The motor is AC and the input from the house is AC - only the battery is DC so all the hardware is already in the car.
That's why there is so much interest in V2G solutions.
Many of the solutions don't even pull power out of the batteries, all they do is alter the charging speed and timing to make sure the car charges at the cheapest time for the user and the grid.
This stuff is getting more and more important as power providers are starting to realize that as a larger proportion of their customers are now using electricity for transport and its delivered to cars in great big gobs at once.
The more EV drivers the bigger the problem they have. So they need a way to have some control of when (and how fast) that big kW dump takes place.
I still don't understand how V2G is an advantage at all.

Reactions: Red Sage and JeffK
I'm glad there's someone else like me who doesn't see any advantage with V2G.

I understand the powerwall, but there's no reason for V2G unless you plan to steal supercharger power and then bring it home.

People who use V2G will eventually find themselves in an emergency situation where they need to get somewhere in a hurry at an hour they weren't expecting and they are going to find a car with an unusable range in the garage (Nissan Leaf).

Smart charging is useful to avoid overloading the grid when everyone gets home from work at the same time. This would involve the charger communicating with the grid to even out spikes but it's not V2G.

Maybe I'm missing something that the powerwall doesn't provide...

Only advantage in my mind is for use in emergency applications such as blackouts, hurricanes, earthquakes where you are obviously not driving anywhere anyways and can use the power. Yes, that is what powerwall would do as well, but what if you don't want to buy one? Your Tesla would be a "powerwall on wheels".

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
Only advantage in my mind is for use in emergency applications such as blackouts, hurricanes, earthquakes where you are obviously not driving anywhere anyways and can use the power. Yes, that is what powerwall would do as well, but what if you don't want to buy one? Your Tesla would be a "powerwall on wheels".
The model 3 is over 10 times the price (nearly 20 times the price in the future). If the area is prone to earthquakes, hurricanes, etc then it's best (and cheaper) to invest in the powerwall. Otherwise, like I said, you'll find yourself in that emergency situation and unable to leave the house.

Well that wouldn't work for me because if there is a hurricane I would have already driven my Tesla across the country camping out at SC's getting yelled at by people in this forum - while not carrying one bit.

Oops...did I say that out loud?

The model 3 is over 10 times the price (nearly 20 times the price in the future). If the area is prone to earthquakes, hurricanes, etc then it's best (and cheaper) to invest in the powerwall. Otherwise, like I said, you'll find yourself in that emergency situation and unable to leave the house.
I don't see why people don't think like me. In an emergency - Get in your Tesla - drive it out to the middle of a corn field. and watch TV. That's what cows do - and the corn protects them just fine. It just protects them like a blanket.

The MS is built like a tank.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and JeffK
My point is assuming someone is buying the car anyways, not instead of a powerwall. If you have V2G capability for that rare occasion, it could be handy. This way you don't need to layout few thousand dollars for powerwall and install.

I know what you are saying, but I don't see people regularly using the V2G capability. Although I wouldn't put it past people to get "free" energy; charge somewhere else (presumably free) and then come home and use that power.

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 3m3 minutes ago
Tesla announcement goes live at 5pm California time. 30 minutes of media Q&A to follow.

Is his announcement that he's partaking in tonights debate and punching his ticket for president of the US?

If only he were eligible....not to get all political, but he'd have been a viable third party candidate, compared to the choices we've been given.

Oh well.....he seems to be doing plenty of good from his current roles. He probably wouldn't want the pay cut to be POTUS.

My point is assuming someone is buying the car anyways, not instead of a powerwall. If you have V2G capability for that rare occasion, it could be handy. This way you don't need to layout few thousand dollars for powerwall and install.

I know what you are saying, but I don't see people regularly using the V2G capability. Although I wouldn't put it past people to get "free" energy; charge somewhere else (presumably free) and then come home and use that power.

The car probably knows exactly how much power it got from what source. Tesla should implement vehicle to home hardware and then if your battery is charged 60kWh from a supercharger, and the remaining 30kWh from your home, then you only get 30kWh available for your house. That would stop people from living of supercharges (or other charging stations). This could also be adapted to the car knowing how much came from solar power etc. So the car only releases the amount of energy which it got from a source you are paying for.

The car probably knows exactly how much power it got from what source. Tesla should implement vehicle to home hardware and then if your battery is charged 60kWh from a supercharger, and the remaining 30kWh from your home, then you only get 30kWh available for your house. That would stop people from living of supercharges (or other charging stations). This could also be adapted to the car knowing how much came from solar power etc.
At that point isn't it easier to not have it at all?

The car probably knows exactly how much power it got from what source. Tesla should implement vehicle to home hardware and then if your battery is charged 60kWh from a supercharger, and the remaining 30kWh from your home, then you only get 30kWh available for your house. That would stop people from living of supercharges (or other charging stations). This could also be adapted to the car knowing how much came from solar power etc. So the car only releases the amount of energy which it got from a source you are paying for.

I'd really prefer they spend the necessary time writing thousands, maybe millions, of lines of code to make sure the DRIVING EXPERIENCE is what I'm paying for.

If I want a Powerwall, I'll buy one, as it is a distinctly different product offering.

I sincerely hope that V2G or V2H is just another "forum legend" that never comes true.

At that point isn't it easier to not have it at all?
Well not really, probably quite easy to implement in terms of the software. Of course you will get the people that are going to complain because they fully charged their car at a SC and now cant add any electricity from their panels. But I think the way I wrote would be the easiest way to get around the problem of people using free SC electricity for their homes, if of course they ever do release V2G and V2H solution, which is unlikely.

I'd really prefer they spend the necessary time writing thousands, maybe millions, of lines of code to make sure the DRIVING EXPERIENCE is what I'm paying for.

If I want a Powerwall, I'll buy one, as it is a distinctly different product offering.

I sincerely hope that V2G or V2H is just another "forum legend" that never comes true.
I actually completely agree with you but there is no denying that V2G and V2H would solve so many problems and the need to buy a battery for your house when you all ready have a 10x+ bigger battery in your car right outside. Then again the need to not have to buy a battery separately is probably the biggest reason why it will never haven.

Last edited: