Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy referral code please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like its a no brainer not to use the MSE code if you don't want a smart meter. I've been with Octopus for best par of 4 years now and until December, without smart meter. In that time they offered a smart meter on a few occasions, but don't nag. On getting the EV I decided to take them up on the offer, then monitor metered use, both electric and gas. I've only just switched to Go electric. Elec (simple online option) and gas (email) were then moved midnight that night. Trying to get on Go Faster not so straight forward despite a few emails. Worth noting that whilst Octopus do 12 month tarrifs, I've not yet seen one where there is an early exit penalty. So signing up on a fixed tarrif then moving on, such as Go, looks to be always an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
Quite the opposite. I think you really have to chase them. GO of course requires a smart meter.

If you don’t want GO then you might well get a better rate through MSE or comparethemarket. A friend of mine who doesn’t have an EV moved via ctm and got a lower standing charge and unit rate. For him that worked out a better deal than the £50.

I had to ask them for a smart meter. They didn't respond to my email so ended up calling them - and when I did they got me appointment installation the same week.

• Informative
Sounds like its a no brainer not to use the MSE code if you don't want a smart meter. I've been with Octopus for best par of 4 years now and until December, without smart meter. In that time they offered a smart meter on a few occasions, but don't nag. On getting the EV I decided to take them up on the offer, then monitor metered use, both electric and gas. I've only just switched to Go electric. Elec (simple online option) and gas (email) were then moved midnight that night. Trying to get on Go Faster not so straight forward despite a few emails. Worth noting that whilst Octopus do 12 month tarrifs, I've not yet seen one where there is an early exit penalty. So signing up on a fixed tarrif then moving on, such as Go, looks to be always an option.

Thanks Ian

So. Just got my smart meter installed through octopus (via 3rd party). Did I read somewhere that I should be able to see my 30minuite meter reading or something?

Where are these shown? Cant see them on my account, but might be too early yet?

Meter was installed about 10 days ago, but there was problems connecting my indoor bit, so someone had to come back today and now all works (I can scroll back on the indoor monitor and see last 10 days of readings, but not broken down?

I only want to know as I think I need to see this before contacting octopus to transfer onto the go tariff???

Any help appreciated.

So. Just got my smart meter installed through octopus (via 3rd party). Did I read somewhere that I should be able to see my 30minuite meter reading or something?

Meter was installed about 10 days ago, but there was problems connecting my indoor bit, so someone had to come back today and now all works (I can scroll back on the indoor monitor and see last 10 days of readings, but not broken down?

I only want to know as I think I need to see this before contacting octopus to transfer onto the go tariff???

Any help appreciated.
Check the API section on the account info page of OE - Octopus Energy

Any help appreciated.
I’d contact Octopus and ask for the transfer to GO. This will include them checking that your meters are sending back all the required data. If they find the meters are not, they can then arrange to get it working.

You can see them on your account under the 'your meter' section for each meter - 'view smart meter consumption'.

Unfortunately that data seems to be batch uploaded a whole day at a time. Always seems to be at least a day old, if not more. eg Its Saturday morning, our latest is Thursday.

Watch out for gas graph, its in m3 but incorrectly labelled as kWh so values will not match bill or in house display- I'm pushing for them to at least fix the labeling, preferably unify at kWh as you are billed.

Another gotcha is that each each histogram bar is 30 minutes worth, so if your brain normally works in kWh per hour, you have to combine two to get true kWh for that hour.

For anyone else planning to switch, using a referral code is an alternative to using one of the switching sites, not an 'as well as' option.

Instead of paying a bounty to the switching site they pay you and the person who refers you, so if you want to get that £50 bill credit ask for the code from any of the many happy Octopus users around here (myself included) and use the link they will send you to initiate the switch, don't start the switch any other way...

For anyone else planning to switch, using a referral code is an alternative to using one of the switching sites, not an 'as well as' option.

Instead of paying a bounty to the switching site they pay you and the person who refers you, so if you want to get that £50 bill credit ask for the code from any of the many happy Octopus users around here (myself included) and use the link they will send you to initiate the switch, don't start the switch any other way...
One person who had my code let me know that he'd found a better deal, with a lower Octopus tariff, through one of the comparison sites.

On further investigation I found that they were offering a better deal than by going direct, but only on the standard tariff, not on Octopus GO, which is the tariff most EV owners want. The price for Octopus GO is the same both ways, so it is of most benefit if you use a referral code and get the £50 bill credit.

Sorry, that should read "... so it is of most benefit if you use MY referral code and get the £50 bill credit". ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
One person who had my code let me know that he'd found a better deal, with a lower Octopus tariff, through one of the comparison sites.

On further investigation I found that they were offering a better deal than by going direct, but only on the standard tariff, not on Octopus GO, which is the tariff most EV owners want. The price for Octopus GO is the same both ways, so it is of most benefit if you use a referral code and get the £50 bill credit.

... and for those who do worry about 'exclusive' tariffs that the switching sites claim can only be got when you use them...

I am happy to state that since Octopus have no exit fees on lock-ins to a particular tariff you can switch to one of the 'exclusive' tariffs once you arrive.

So for example if you are moving both electric and gas, even if you are heading for 'Go' for the electric, you may want to move to one of the 'exclusive' gas tariffs.

I've moved my gas to three different tariffs over the past 3 months as the 12 month 'exclusive' fixed options kept falling in price...

... and for those who do worry about 'exclusive' tariffs that the switching sites claim can only be got when you use them...

I am happy to state that since Octopus have no exit fees on lock-ins to a particular tariff you can switch to one of the 'exclusive' tariffs once you arrive.

So for example if you are moving both electric and gas, even if you are heading for 'Go' for the electric, you may want to move to one of the 'exclusive' gas tariffs.

I've moved my gas to three different tariffs over the past 3 months as the 12 month 'exclusive' fixed options kept falling in price...
Mark, thank you!

Just checked and gas rate has dropped from 3.05p to 2.23p so asked to switch. Wouldn't have thought to check so thank you!

Reactions: Mark_T and Roy W.