Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Waiting to see if octopus fund a session anyway I guess. They went with £1.75 as a bid last time as the lowest value they think viable for users... I think that's a reasonable position.

I don't have an issue with octopus not funding sessions, it's a commercial decision and ultimately saying "screw you guys, it's £1.75 or you can lose out on all of this DFS capacity" is a perfectly reasonable negotiating point which will net us more in the future

Upvote 0
Nothing on twitter from Octopus, no sessions on the website. I think we're sitting this one out... On the plus side I get to see how my automations work for a session than doesn't happen

Thats a bugger I feel like im all dressed up with no where to go.....I'm still going to discharge at 18:00 for an hour as an act of consolation.

Upvote 0
I might have a 17:00 Protest Session Party with Prodigy Firestarter at max volume.

Ramp up everything to Charge at full whack, including Heat Pump, Tumble Dryers and Shower Rooms for 1.5 Hours.

If the Energy Police turn up... I'll claim Plausible Useability.

Let the Voltage Hit the Floor... Hey, Hey, Hey...

Screenshot_20231224_122741_Gallery.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: yessuz and phil4
Upvote 0
I think fair play if they didn't want to do yesterday, by being different and sticking to their view of a reasonable offer they are sending a message.

The energy saved is estimated after all, as we cannot say exactly what would have been used without a parallel universe.

That some on Octopus saved energy anyway, or that Octopus (as a major player) have run their own saving sessions regardless, adds yet more randomness into the mix. In a way, they have made it a bit of fun.

Imagine doing a test of water pressure at 5pm, then all your neighbours decide to do their own test at exactly the same time and turn on all their taps, your test becomes a bit of nonsense.

Upvote 0