Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

It’s all of our fault, collectively.
We had borderline hurricane winds when the scaffolding was being erected and dismantled.
The actual install of the panels appeared to coincide with monsoon season in Berkshire.
Weeks of dull weather then followed (August!)

I knew solar would help abate global warming, I just hadn’t appreciated how localised the effects would be;)
I had some fitted last week. I don't think they have had an unobstructed view of the sun for more than about two hours in total. I just seems to be permanently cloudy.

Screenshot_20240620_091911_Met Office.jpg

Upvote 0
I had some fitted last week. I don't think they have had an unobstructed view of the sun for more than about two hours in total. I just seems to be permanently cloudy.

View attachment 1058068

Earlier this year, before the "permanently cloudy" turned up, our Solar Panels were covered in green algae...

Normally we get showers and hail to clean them up a bit... but no. Just cold, damp, cold, and more damp... oh, and then yellow pollen dust explosion for a week.

Then the clouds came... I'm only missing a mega volcano ash cloud for the full set.

It's only the battery storage exporting that's kept me from therapy.

Even the pigeons are not sliding down the panels, for fear of accidentally cleaning them...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
Upvote 0
I really should be expecting it by now, but still find it surprising how being maybe 100-200 miles further south makes a lot of difference, I guess some of that is due to longitude and some just local weather. I'm east of Oxford and the weather and generation have been great so far. Pretty much full sun yesterday, even better today, not a cloud in the sky now. Last months export paid for all the import, standing charges, the small amount of gas for HW and still left me with profit with running 2 EVs.

Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0
I really should be expecting it by now, but still find it surprising how being maybe 100-200 miles further south makes a lot of difference, I guess some of that is due to longitude and some just local weather. I'm east of Oxford and the weather and generation have been great so far. Pretty much full sun yesterday, even better today, not a cloud in the sky now. Last months export paid for all the import, standing charges, the small amount of gas for HW and still left me with profit with running 2 EVs.

I'm South of Oxford, and agree, although there have been plenty of passing clouds of late, 25-27kWh from my 5.3kW array has been doable. Today looks like we'll be over 30 if things continue as they are.

It didn't quite pay for everything (other half WFH etc), but £30 from mid May to Mid june for all gas (hot water), elec and standing charges including charging 2 EVs.

Upvote 0
Further south would be latitude

Upvote 0
Similar story for myself in South Norfolk (East Anglia) with £97 additional net credit in last monthly energy statement.
I can’t really complain too much. I covered all electric and gas costs (including standing charges and charging the car) and still ended up with £65 credit for last billing period. And that’s with only a 6.72kw array split equally East and West facing. I am right on the South Coast which helps.

Today it actually feels like summer and is giving a lovely looking curve so far with not many interruptions…

IMG_0936.jpeg

Reactions: Js1977
Upvote 0
Similar story for myself in South Norfolk (East Anglia) with £97 additional net credit in last monthly energy statement.
I can’t really complain too much. I covered all electric and gas costs (including standing charges and charging the car) and still ended up with £65 credit for last billing period. And that’s with only a 6.72kw array split equally East and West facing. I am right on the South Coast which helps.

Today it actually feels like summer and is giving a lovely looking curve so far with not many interruptions…

View attachment 1058103
I have a 6kw array in the midlands and today it has generated about 12.5 kwh. It is pretty warm here but has been cloudy most of the day

Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0