Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

For those recently on Flux with peak export 16:00–19:00 then the only point in taking part is reducing their import demands during the same period. Flux may still be worth it if travelling sufficient distance with lots of home charging. For me IO+Outgoing became optimal in mid-September. I have home storage set to discharge from 14:00–17:00 since 1st October :)

Reactions: ringi
Upvote 0
Tue 7th and Tue 14th look like potential Saving Session days at present from national demand/surplus/margin forecast.
Any tips on how to read the graphs/tables to identify low priced/Saving Session days? I looked at those dates (as an amateur!) but nothing jumped out at me to flag those as Saving Session days.

I'm on Agile and looking for ways of seeing more than 24hrs in advance what the pricing could look like so that I can optimise my charging a little better. Sometimes I charge at what I can see as a good rate, only for a much better rate to show 24-48hrs later. A greater heads-up on rates would help save a few extra £££, expecially when I might not need to do a full charge for a long trip and can wait a few days before topping-up fully.

Upvote 0
Top-line is expected transmission, slightly higher than expected national demand below. Bottom lines are surplus (green) and generating plant margin. Typically if the demand is peaky and the surplus/margin low then that is a potential trigger for peak shaving / Saving Session calls. This time around Octopus can call a Surprise Session if they wish, though yet to see if it really is due to high carbon production or operator cost savings.

Reactions: MikeeUK
Upvote 0
Just for fun, here are the names of the DFS offering from the other participating providers.
  • 100 Green: High Tide Saver
  • British Gas: PeakSave
  • EDF: Beat the Peak
  • Equiwatt: powerDOWN
  • GivEnergy Software: GivBack
  • Good Energy: Power Pause
  • Hugo Energy: Winter Cashback!
  • Loop: Turn Down and Save
  • Outfox the Market: Demand Flexibility Service
  • OVO: Power Move Plus
  • Perse Technology: ESO Demand Flexibility Service
  • Shell Energy Retail: Smart Flex
  • SMS (Solo Energy Ltd): Approved provider of Demand Flexibility Service
  • Uswitch Ltd: Utrack Money Back
  • Utility Energy Ltd: Power Payback

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Upvote 0
That a good choose of name. Does it mean GivEnergy will not integrate software for automated control if customers wishes to use Octopus?
Didn't discuss GivEnergy and GivBack here because they're not Tesla products, but if someone asks.

Giv aren't stopping anybody from locally or remotely controlling their device to make good use of the DFS sessions.
- You can probably achieve everything GivBack achieves and more with GivTCP and Home Assistant, if you're technically minded. (For example, controlling your heating too...).
- If you're good at planning and are prepared to fiddle with the app, you can also do the same
- Octoplus also seems to be offering slightly more of the DFS payment to customers, based on initial numbers.
- Octoplus also offer free energy sessions, although how many is unclear. (And the value of getting free electric which would probably cost me 7.5p/kWh otherwise isn't huge)

What GivBack *is* offering is an "easy button". Sign up for this, you do nothing, we'll send you some money. If you're not technically minded or don't want hassle, it's a good way of getting some quite decent money for allowing your kit to be used to support the grid. (Also worth noting that anything they import will be at the standard supplier rate, and anything they export also gets the standard supplier rate. So it's not pure profit)

One other thing, you the DFS scheme this year was updated to allow subcomponents to be evaluated for DFS on their own. I believe you can only be signed up for one DFS service per meter though

Reactions: ringi
Upvote 0
How are these sessions going to be published. I think I read earlier that it would be via social media, but apart from this forum, I don't really do that. I do have Octopus app which, along with email to customer account, would seem a sensible place to notify this info for Octopus customers.

Upvote 0
It is app-only and social media notifications this time, though email is possible for those without such means on request. At present this is just an anticipatory notification that will be firmed up or cancelled later. The energy providers will only notify at some point after that.

Should appear on x.com/SavingSessions and probably the main Octopus Energy feeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
Upvote 0
Same here:
KT-GB-5117
Account does not meet all criteria required to join Saving Sessions event.

However, I know there has been a DCC/TMA problem recently (7th–11th Nov inclusive) while my home metering was functionally normally throughout.

It is a bit poor of Octopus to do this by policy, when DFS and their own terms previously talked of 60 day period for consideration in finding 10 eligible days. However, probably to rectify the lengthy waits last time around from those with unreliable SMETS2 connections

It now seems to be last 20 days of half-hourly at 80%+ and at least 15 days of half-hourly readings in total.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just checked on Whatsapp.
"Savings Session Alert: 5.30PM to 6.30PM"
"16th November"

Use less electricity during the saving Session ---- power you save compared to normal"

Unfortunately my normal consumption is zero. Batteries.
I believe the calculation is nett, import-export, so if you can force your batteries to export then you’ll get a payout.

Upvote 0